Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth the wait?

• 29-03-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Ok so for those of us who are on the infamous *Panel* it has been almost 3 years since most of us applied.

Those of us who are waiting to apply, alot are also waiting almost 3 years, or maybe 2 years or even 1....

This moratorium has been tough on everyone, and I think there would be very few who could honestly say they haven't once considered throwing in the towel. We all seem to be having good days and bad days so maybe if we're wavering a bit we should go back to basics for a little bit.

Everyone here made a conscious decision to apply for AGS for one reason or another. So what were your reasons? What makes it all worth the wait?

My main reason for applying, other than my detest of crime and criminals who believe they are above the law, was the diversity of the job. The fact that you don't know from one day to the next what it is you will actually be doing in work. And even if you do have a plan, it can all go out the window in an instant. The variety of doing paperwork one minute and rushing out on a call the next really appeals to me.
    The different sections and corps make the job prospects all the more appealing. God knows what we will be doing ten years on from the day we set foot into Templemore!

So that's why it will (hopefully) be worth the wait for me when it does happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jmcc89

Great post Blue belle,
    The waiting is frustrating, and for me, Ive always wanted to be a Garda, but im only coming up to the point in my life where im in the position to apply and really concentrate on preparing as im nearly finishing a demanding college course ,so i haven't been waiting as such, like those on the panel, I had the course to focus on.
    I have never thought of giving up hope and never will until im in Templemore, because their is no other job, however well paid Id rather do! As for reasons for wanting to join, mine are similar to yours, the unpredictability, the hate of crime, meeting people of all walks of life, but also to be in a position everyday to actively help the members of the community, the satisfaction of this would far out-weight anything else. I can just hope like everyone here, that recruitment will start up soon, and give it my very best when it does!

CHINS UP LADS N LADIES WE'LL GET THERE SOME DAY!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Great thread. The waiting is also very frustrating for me. All ive ever wanted is to be a guard. To makes things worse a guy who graduated secondary school a year ahead of me in 2008 is now a full time guard. Where as when I graduated (2009) the embargo had just begun. To make matters worse im in a job I hate just to get me buy, ive applied for the garda reserve to give me some hope during the long wait and to give me some expierence but have been waiting a year for the medical. I crave for the day they recruit bacause I feel its a job I can wake up to every morning and look forward to it. I am in my last year of police and security studies (Great course if your intrested) and was hoping to be recruited soon.

I want to join the guards because I love helping the community and I love being out and about and interacting with different people. Also being part of a team and being able to wear a uniform of authority to protect the peace would give me a sense of pride and accomplishment. To top it off I want to be able to do something that will reduce crime in the country particalurly the area of trafficking people which is a big problem!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

I wish ye all the best of luck.

Those who have been waiting since 2008 and later I admire yer patience and determination.

Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

Hey Blue Belle :)

Just wanted to say I think its worth the wait def!
    Im waiting since sept 09 when i did my interview!

The only thing id change (except for already being in the AGS :)) is what i did with my time waiting ! If id known it would be over 2.5 yrs (as it stands) id have fecked off and went travelling !

I know we were told dont put your life on hold but i really didnt expect it to be so long!

Anyway just wanted to say hey to everyone and keep the faith - we will get there in the end :D

Advertisement