Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Standard of Local Radio in your area - good or bad in general

• 29-03-2011 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Having spent most of the last few weeks on the road here and there around the country it gave me the opportunity to channel surf and listen to some local stations some who rarely get discussed on the forum.

So whats you local independent radio station like and does it fit your radio needs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

KCLR

Don't really listen to it that much but from the bit I do hear during the day it's pretty decent (apart from Sue Nunn).

It seems very good for dealing with local thing and I think it's really popular, they don't shut up about it every time the ratings come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Galway Bay FM at the moment. Appalling. Only thing I listen to is live GAA match commentary.

I'm probably not in their target audience to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Sergeant wrote: »
    Galway Bay FM at the moment. Appalling. Only thing I listen to is live GAA match commentary.

I'm probably not in their target audience to be honest.

+1.
    If you'd fallen into a coma in 1991 and the last thing you heard before going out was GB FM, you would find it sounding very familiar when you wake up in 2011 :)

It's got more or less the same line up of jaded presenters, the same-ish tired playlist, long ad-breaks, endless news and death notice bulletins... It's consistent if nothing else.

Still, they proclaim that their listenership figures are great, advertisers are obviously running with them, they must appeal to some market out there. I'm guessing that market is mostly the 45+ rural population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭yiddo59

In Cork

Red FM
    : Outside they're age demographic but when I do tune they seem to very upbeat and lively. Good sports coverage at the weekend with The Big Red Bench

96FM : Music and daytime programmes are good. The station that you hear in most shops etc around town.

C103 : Great sports coverage especially at the weekends. Though a but biased towards the county teams but thats underrstandable. More community orientated that either 96 or Red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    In Cork

Red FM
    : Outside they're age demographic but when I do tune they seem to very upbeat and lively. Good sports coverage at the weekend with The Big Red Bench

96FM : Music and daytime programmes are good. The station that you hear in most shops etc around town.

C103 : Great sports coverage especially at the weekends. Though a but biased towards the county teams but thats underrstandable. More community orientated that either 96 or Red.

I'm in Cork as well, but never listen to any of the above. I've long since stopped listening to music radio and have absolutely no interest in Neil Prendeville or Victor Barry. So I mostly listen to RTE 1 and Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

JoeA3 wrote: »
    +1.
    If you'd fallen into a coma in 1991 and the last thing you heard before going out was GB FM, you would find it sounding very familiar when you wake up in 2011 :)

It's got more or less the same line up of jaded presenters, the same-ish tired playlist, long ad-breaks, endless news and death notice bulletins... It's consistent if nothing else.

I'll see your Galway Bay fm and raise you Midlands103 a station that for all the world appears to still be broadcasting from the days when DeValera was in charge of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Don't fool yourself Condi. Ocean FM is the local station here (Sligo) too and "good in general" is perhaps overstating it a little. Will accept that it is an improvement on MidWest/NorthWest that went before it (now just MidWest) but that's to start from a very low base. Agree about the adds though, they are as you say "pure muck." :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Clare FM, death notices and C&W all the way! :pac: Maybe I need to be 40 years older to enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Clare FM, death notices and C&W all the way! :pac: Maybe I need to be 40 years older to enjoy it.

Clare FM do great Trad shows though. Best I've heard anywhere and they're generally fairly good i think.

Ok, some of the ads are total tack and Mike Gardner's C&W stuff is just awful and their general drivetime music choice is about as vanilla and inoffensive as you'll get but I always got the impression they concentrate on the local community thing so I'd forgive them. I've an iPod to listen to music if I want to. On balance I like them and think they do a decent job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

In Cork

Red FM

In Cork as well and I could not be without Neil Prendeville on my weekday mornings. Can't stomach Red fm so it's Newstalk any other time I tune in to the wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tommy Murphy

squonk wrote: »
    Clare FM do great Trad shows though. Best I've heard anywhere and they're generally fairly good i think.

Ok, some of the ads are total tack and Mike Gardner's C&W stuff is just awful and their general drivetime music choice is about as vanilla and inoffensive as you'll get but I always got the impression they concentrate on the local community thing so I'd forgive them. I've an iPod to listen to music if I want to. On balance I like them and think they do a decent job.

Not into trad or c&w but like their sport on friday evenings. Bit of craic and well informed as far as local radio usually goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

In Cork

Red FM

Red FM: Plays the same 8 songs on a loop. Lowest common denominator muck.
    96FM: occasionally play alright music, but there's something about their DJs, it's like they're waiting to die or something, they're truly awful.
    C103: Don't listen to, always assumed it was just the country version of 96fm.

I was in Dublin this weekend, I hate ye for your decent mix of stations... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sprig

Been listening to a station in Galway called Rascal radio, its on 95 fm and their moto is Non Stop Anti Pop

Lots of cool music real genre specific stuff and no ads at all...
    Ya cant ask for more,
    95fm in the west or www.rascalradio.net everywhere else...
    worth checking out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

One things I must say that local radio does well (sometimes) is News.

Especially in the cities (Cork, Galway, Limerick etc)

stories about the Council granting permission for some local landmark... that sort of thing that people care about locally.

What do we think about news so.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

96fm is brutal its housewives radio,has anyone ever noticed how long their news drags on for it is usually 7 or 8 minutes when others are long finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ofcork wrote: »
    96fm is brutal its housewives radio,has anyone ever noticed how long their news drags on for it is usually 7 or 8 minutes when others are long finished.

Long news isn't a bad thing, but 96FM is brutal, agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

news often starts at 2 mins past the hour, so thats why it finishes at 6 or 7 past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

The guy who reads the news on 96fm sounds like he runs out of breath at the end of sentences as he goes so low,then picks up on the next story and trails off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Aglomerado wrote: »

Don't know what your definition of "all the way" is........approx 6 hours at weekends definitely doesn't qualify it for that definition.

If you want to discuss the facts and the real reason for not liking it, fire away, but please don't make stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

East Coast rarely gets a mention but I have to say it's as good if not better than many others. A very professional outfit. Have no ties with East Coast but they were always known to give young talent their chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Haven't had much chance to listen to the local cork stations since I started college, but in general it's a pretty mixed bag.

RED FM: Very good all round station, news, music, sport, etc. Before KC moved on to TodayFM they had THE best breakfast show in the country in my opinion, beating Ian Dempsey, Colm and Jim-Jim (it was a while ago yes, but still relevant I think) and others. Though I can't say I was in favour of moving Victor Barry to a morning slot to compete with D'Arcy and co... But I have to say he's very entertaining and generally has lively debates and great movies and games coverage.

C103: I'm totally not in their demographic to be fair. I can say they do great local news, and definitely are good at targeting an older audience that wouldn't listen to RedFm. I do think they could do more to attract a younger audience, I mean, the slogan is "Best of the 70's, 80's and more..." . Is the "more" the 60's?

Advertisement