Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond park area

• 29-03-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am supposed to meet up with someone from adverts who wants to buy a laptop , he said he cud meet me at thomond park.
    whats the area like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe meet 2 minutes further up by the Garda station surrounded by cameras etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

is it not the best area?

thecelt wrote: »
    is it not the best area?

I didn't say that. Frankly I wouldn't meet anybody to sell a Laptop in a "Safe" area or any area for that place. Someplace indoors like a hotel reception maybe, people and cameras.

Thomond Park. It's not unsafe but it's less safe than other places.

is there any hotel around the area where i cud easily park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Strand Hotel on the Ennis road.

• Advertisement

from trying to look it up, it looks like the radisson might be easier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

My advice if your location is kerry and you are comming from there,then you would be comming into city centre,pull at first place you can park,pick your place of choice,go have a coffee,phone the guy if he is local and ask him to meet you there..it's maybe a 10 min walk from thomand to centre or to the strand hotel.NO matter what transaction you make with a person,if there is no dodgy dealings involved it is always best to deal in a public place.....wouldn't you like to prove to him that it works.Media in my opinion gives limerick the bad reputation,and makes bad news seem worse, to take the heat off other bad places.....and NO i do not come from limerick,more is the pity....

Thanks littlemiss,
    very logical plan of action,
    not saying anything bad about limerick,
    just wanted to figure somewhere safer to meet than out at thomond,
    will get there and then give him a call

thecelt wrote: »
    from trying to look it up, it looks like the radisson might be easier?

The Radisson is actually in County Clare so not quite as handy a location really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The Woodfield hotel, the Greenhills hotel or Sexton's (Ardhu) pub are near enough to Thomond with plenty of parking. As is the Curragower pub or the Strand hotel. Loads of places to meet really, within walking distance of Thomond.

• Advertisement

Berty, Presuming the buyer is local,and has means of transport,then the radison isn't too far out from thomand , going by the old cratloe road or down by Ivans, still close enough for the buyer to travel by either direction.

I think amazotheamazing has said it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

littlemis wrote: »
    Berty, Presuming the buyer is local,and has means of transport,then the radison isn't too far out from thomand , going by the old cratloe road or down by Ivans, still close enough for the buyer to travel by either direction.

thats a big assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DesLyons

Thomond park is an ok spot but that dose'nt mean the seller is.

And you dont want be buying a laptop in the side of the road, you wont really get a chance to inspect it propperly

The ardu is just down the road from it . There also the topaz down thomondgate , they have seats and tables inside there & theres camera all over it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the dunnes at the jetand just down the road has a bb's(coffee and muffin place) which would also work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Meet him at the topaz down the road,you can sit down in there and have a coffee.The cops love stopping in there for their breaks,bit odd he wanted to meet you at Thomond Park tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Meet him at the topaz down the road,you can sit down in there and have a coffee.The cops love stopping in there for their breaks,bit odd he wanted to meet you at Thomond Park tbh.

I wouldn't find it odd at all, customer is coming from Kerry so its possible that he has been to Thomond Park for a match before and it may be the only place in Limerick he is familiar with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

L.T.P. wrote: »
    I wouldn't find it odd at all, customer is coming from Kerry so its possible that he has been to Thomond Park for a match before and it may be the only place in Limerick he is familiar with :)

If he is coming up from Kerry offer to meet him at the Topaz that is close to Dolans.

Lots of cameras, and gets Gardai having their breaks there all day long.

The Topaz by Ivan's is a good call as well, as it gets the Gardai there, has cameras, and also has free wifi if you want to demo that aspect of the laptop.

But as others have said already, pick a location with cameras and witnesses about. Personally if I was selling or buying something, The road/footpath outside Thomond Park would not be a spot I would be heading to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

Kess73 wrote: »
    If he is coming up from Kerry offer to meet him at the Topaz that is close to Dolans.

Lots of cameras, and gets Gardai having their breaks there all day long.

The Topaz by Ivan's is a good call as well, as it gets the Gardai there, has cameras, and also has free wifi if you want to demo that aspect of the laptop.

But as others have said already, pick a location with cameras and witnesses about. Personally if I was selling or buying something, The road/footpath outside Thomond Park would not be a spot I would be heading to.

theres a pub across from thomand park which is good for parking and will have plenty of people in it.i think thats your safest bet.hassetts is the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

if your buying a laptop, please god check it throughly!
    If you post on here tomorrow saying you spent 100's of euros on argos catalogues in a laptop bag tomorrow, I will hunt you down and purple nurple you...and give you a wedgie.

Any public place, don't bring the money with you. These aren't limerick precautions, they just make common sense. Also ask to see ID (drivers license) if possible, in case the one your buying is stolen( not that it would help you). If you see his car, take note of reg etc.
    If at anytime you don't feel safe, get the hell out.

God i sound so paranoid!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He/She is selling the laptop so wont need to test anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Melion wrote: »
    He/She is selling the laptop so wont need to test anything

ah silly me. still if i hear someone bought an argos catalogue around thomond area, im dobbing in the celt!

thanks guys, i appreciate the advice,
    will be up in galway and will be heading back to kerry,
    but will try to stop off in limerick on way back to see if this guy turns up to buy the laptop.

phil106, i think i saw something like that on that show "hustle" or something like that on bbc,
    but the reason i was trying to find somewhere good to meet was so i amnt the one getting scammed!

Advertisement