Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ras na Riochta

• 29-03-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I seen a post here last year about this race and it was very good reviews as far as I remember. I've done War and Gaelforce however I like the idea of a mountain bike based adventure race and would love to give it a go.

Anybody done this race before?? If so is it any good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Apparently really good last year so I've signed up for the lite class this year myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mumford

It was my favourite race last year and would recommend it There were small numbers in its first year.

Started with a mountain bike run along the old railway line/Kerry way - amazing scenery over Dingle Bay. Then up and over Windy Gap and along Lough Caragh.
    Climb Seefin mountain with a long-ish run along mountain ridge before dropping down on small rural roads towards Lough Caragh. Canadian canoe along length of Lough Caragh with a final slog up a steep hill to the finish line.

Fantastic race with beautiful scenery. There is a sport version and an added road bike version this year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Definitely going to do the full MTB version. Where is best for accommondation? I assume Killorglin is the nearest town??

Killorglin is the nearest large town with B&Bs. Glenbeigh is also a good spot with lovely beach, couple of B&Bs, camping etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

This was by far my favourite race last year :D way better than Gaelforce and other races i've done.

Did the 'lite' version, loved that it was mostly off road, mountain biking wasn't too technical but good fun, a few up & downs in the hills with spectacular views and then canadian canoes on the lake before finishing at Cappanlea centre.

Small numbers for first year, but that was nice, felt like i was only person on the mountains at times :)

Great value race, nice technical tshirts and the best goodie bag ever!

Definately on my list to do again this year, only area for improvement would be to have post race food and party included.

highly recommend this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Just as long as they remove that idiot from the scene who ran the opposite way of the bikes on a training run because he had forgotten that this race would be on that day and on that mountain road. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Adi CkonSh

Anyone done it on a cyclocross or is a mountain bike compulsory? I know there's a road version, but wouldn't mind the off road :)

Anyone doing this race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Would love to because of the MTB element, it would really sort the wheat (mtbers) from the chaff (fit people that can cycle) but I'll be doing the race 2 Glory in Kiltimagh instead as it's an old haunt of mine and the travelling costs.

We're spoilt for choice on this day with the Jog in the Bog as well as this. It's good that there is a lot of races on but bad that they're all on the one day

yeah its been really bad for that this year - I see theres 3 different moonlight walks on this saturday!!

• Advertisement

I just wanted to say this is without a doubt one of the best races EVER!!
    Started at registration with a goodie bag with technical t-shirt, water bottle filled with sachets of gels and carb drinks, a compass, multi tool wth whistle, compass, waterproof match holder, magnifying glass, bottle of lucozade & a bar!
    I was thinking that the race didnt matter we got so much free stuff but the race itself was then really well thought out & the' marshalls were absolutely fantastic! everyone in cappanlea was really friendly, even greeting you by name when you got to the checkpoints as they were marking you on and off the mountain. the weather conditions were horrific but the marshalls were really cheerful and encouraging the whole time even though it must have been miserable out there. I loved the course especially the longer canadian canoing section.
    I will definitely be back again next year!

Fantastic race again. The poor weather made the race more difficult than last year and the views weren't as good with the low cloud cover, but what a race! So much variety with mountain bike sections, mad downhill sections, class mountain run and canoe along Lough Carragh. Really well organised. Great atmosphere. Credit due to Cappanalea organisers and all the race marshalls. Looking forward to next years event already!:)

Advertisement