Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRM with GPS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Your question is ambiguous. Which part of my quote are you asking 'Why' to?
    Your statement below not your questions.
    Interesting, but also logical.

Which referred to this quote.
    tunney wrote: »
    GPS also is more accurate when not worn on the wrist but on the shoulder or torso.

I was actually referring to having an uninterrupted view of the sky and a stable platform from which to capture satellite packet data.

So why is it logical that wearing a GPS on the shoulder or torso will give an uninterrupted view of the sky and a stable platform to capture satellite data and therefore be more accurate? Does a GPS on the arm not get a clear view of the sky and is a GPS on the arm so much more stable that it gives a more accurate reading?

You would not be trying to obfuscate becasue you have realised that is not so logical, would you? I just have visions of runners all over Ireland trying to attach their Garmin to the shoulder or torso to get a more accurate reading. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

dna_leri wrote: »
    So why is it logical that wearing a GPS on the shoulder or torso will give an uninterrupted view of the sky and a stable platform to capture satellite data and therefore be more accurate? Does a GPS on the arm not get a clear view of the sky and is a GPS on the arm so much more stable that it gives a more accurate reading?

You would not be trying to obfuscate becasue you have realised that is not so logical, would you? I just have visions of runners all over Ireland trying to attach their Garmin to the shoulder or torso to get a more accurate reading. :)
    Obfuscating? Absolutely. :D

But... Have you tried to get a satellite lock while running? It takes significantly longer than while stationary. So by that logic, maintaining a wrist-based GPS device on a mounted platform (like handlebars) where it stays relatively flat to the horizontal plane should help ensure it can track more satellite signals, or at least have less interrupted satellite reception.

<krusty backtracks slowly and removes his GPS watch from its mount on top of his head>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Where does the Polar GPS unit attach?

Polar attaches to the upper arm.

I'd guess that it depends on the frequency of the data recording as to what accuracy you are getting from any GPS system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Ordered a Garmin 305 from Amazon yesterday.

Have had a Polar RS200 for 4 years and it has served me well...the problem was with the WearLink...changed the battery about 18mths ago & it was working ok but clapped out again around Xmas and the strap itself has gone all out of shape.

Had intended to buy a near WearLink but couldn't believe the price (€50)...so decided to invest in a new gadget altogether.

The Garmin looks to be a decent buy - it will deffo make running interesting again. Was totally bored using mapmyrun last year so have been guestimating most of my runs since then

http://www.polar.fi/en/about_polar/news/new_cutting-edge_RCX5_training_computer

I wonder how well this will perform v the Garmin 310XT. Polar have aimed this new watch squarely at the multisport market of the 310XT.

The updates to the personaltrainer and map viewing will need to be fairly substantial to affect the hold Garmin have.

One to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

http://www.polar.fi/en/about_polar/news/new_cutting-edge_RCX5_training_computer

I wonder how well this will perform v the Garmin 310XT. Polar have aimed this new watch squarely at the multisport market of the 310XT.

The updates to the personaltrainer and map viewing will need to be fairly substantial to affect the hold Garmin have.

One to watch.

Any news on a release date for this?

Funnily enough it is being launched in early May! Looks like a power play between the Polar & Garmin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Have a garmin 405, and really like it, being able to get the range of data it offers.

If anything Im guilty of not using some of its more advanced features, and I will start playing with them as I get into DCM training.

With regard to the heart rate monitor being flakey - At the start of a run you will see it is indeed off the charts high. The trick is to wet the back of the strap [or your chest] before you start - as its crap on a "dry" chest for reasons I have never bothered to look into [but Im sure someone here has!].

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Had my first run with new 305 yesterday.

Very very impressed I have to say - found the pacing information extremely useful indeed.

Even took the highly unusual step last night of actually reading the manual - will deffo be using the interval training and Virtual Partner features going forward.

The data upload was fab too (major improvement from the Polar sonic morse code thingy) - and the stats and data presentation are quite brilliant imo.

Can't think of any cons at all - i was slightly concerned about the size/clunkiness beforehand of the watch but this isn't really an issue.

Cartman78 wrote: »

Even took the highly unusual step last night of actually reading the manual - will deffo be using the interval training and Virtual Partner features going forward.

A model citizen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Had my first run with new 305 yesterday.

Very very impressed I have to say - found the pacing information extremely useful indeed.

The data upload was fab too (major improvement from the Polar sonic morse code thingy) - and the stats and data presentation are quite brilliant imo.

Can't think of any cons at all - i was slightly concerned about the size/clunkiness beforehand of the watch but this isn't really an issue.
    If you have any questions about setting up advanced workouts etc., then fire them into the Garmin thread stickied up above, but reading the manual puts you ahead of 85% of the posters already. :D

Advertisement