Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffies :)

• 30-03-2011 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys I have a 2 year old staffie along with a 4 year old pit and 8 year old jack russel. All dogs are spade and neutered and get regular walks and plays.

My concern is with my staffie, she isn't a pure breed and I think there is some bull terrier/ bull dog in her but her weight is ridiculous. She is almost 22kgs. She gets more food obv than the jack russel but not as much as the pit. She does like raw carrot and any raw veg really but doesnt get much but there is no fat in it. The never get dinner scraps and rarely treats (only for training). To help her get her weight down I even get her on the tredmill trotting for extra exercise and she loves playing and messing. Not going to lie she does love her bed and sleeping too

I can't get my head around her being so heavy. I know being spade adds to it and also she has bull in her but anyone else have a staffie who is similar?? Staffies are ment to be kinda round/barrel looking rite...........her belly is a little tubby tho :(

Cheers :) x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

I used to own a staffie she was tall slim and came with a whole mess of legs plus she easily weighed 20+kilo but didn't look it.
    I am pretty sure she wasn't a pure breed either but the man I got her from maintained she was 100% pure, defo some horse in her though :P

You might want to alter her diet some more, if shes gaining weight on a low fat diet than she isnt using what your feeding her. There are also a handful of medical conditions that can cause slow weight gains, ask your vet to give her a checkup if altering her diet doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What is she crossed with? I have a small staffie who weighs 12.5kg, and a staffy/lab x who weighs 25kg. They are both good weights for their size. So it really depends on what's mixed in. Your vet would be best able to tell you if she is overweight or just a particularly "barrelly" dog.

If you are happy she is healthy and her weight gain is not due to an underlying illness, then, just like for people, the answer is to look at her food and her exercise. What food is she on and how much do you give her? A friend had a rottie and if for a week she got even a handful of extra biscuits at meal time, she'd get poochy around her belly. So carefully measure her portions, you could be feeding her a tiny bit too much with each meal.

If she's not on a good quality food, then you should look at changing to a high quality dry food. At 2 years old, I'd be reluctant to even think of a "low fat" food unless really needed.

Swimming is great exercise for dogs, apparently one min in water is like 5 miles on land (not sure how true that is btw just something I heard). My bigger boy loves to swim. I haven't persuaded the little guy to try it yet, but he's not with us long so come summer I might manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I have a staff whippet x and she weighs 23 kilos!! Her neck is a bit roly poly but her hind quarters are quite lean she is ok at this weight! They say u should be able to feel the ribs if you run ur hand down their side but not see the ribs. Iv a 44 kilo dobie who could do with shedding a few pounds thou
    !!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

I have a male staffy who weighs in a 23kg which is mostly muscle, Then two bitches who weighs around 18kg-20kg,

Have you any pics of her ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 babystaffie

Ah ok so there are a good few staffies above 20kgs thank god :) yea can feel her ribs bvut defo not see them. She has a few rolls round her neck aswell. She is a little shapely around her hips and that i guess its just her genetics aswell. Ill try get pics of her up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I have a lab/staffiex and he weighs 29kg, he did weigh 32kg but the vet said he needed to lose some weight, she showed me how much he should be eating per day and I must admit I was a bit shocked because I was feeding him more than that, when we got him from the rescue he was a bit skinny so I think I was just feeding him up and kept going, also he has a heart murmur and a dodgy back leg that makes him limp so it's even more important to keep his weight down.

I would take yours to the vet and he/she can tell you how much doggy should weigh and how much you should be feeding her cos you might just be feeding her too much and not realising, easily done!! Also as someone else said, the food should be of good quality, I switched my fella to a good quality food and he gets a low fat version in the morning and a full fat version in the afternoon and loves them!!

Advertisement