Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feasability Study: Anime night in Maynooth.

Options
  • 30-03-2011 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

There's a new arts centre place in Maynooth and the lads are open to renting the place out. Its an arts/music/film place so I think anime can sit in all 3 nicely. The idea of anime nights in there has been knocking on the back of my head. I know the college socs did (and probably still does since I left, CSSE graduate here) anime in the lecture halls but this wouldn't be a 'club' or anything plus its a bring your own beer place too so theres no worries that way.

The only problem is you would have to charge a few quid at the door, I'd pay it now as I'm working but thinking back as a student even €5 was a lot to get into a place. I'm just wondering if its possible, I'd be willing to put a few quid up to try and get something like this going but if its just totally silly then I wouldn't bother.

Apart from that I'd love to see the place do well, I'm sick of everything having to happen in the feckin' pub in Ireland and the college is just for students really.

What do ye think, is it possible? Any ideas on how to make it possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My coach leaves at 6pm, so for me it's either that or get home by 11pm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Sounds like something worth looking into! Maybe ask the venue owners how much it would cost to rent the place out for 4 hours on say a Wednesday? You can work it from there. Ideally you could get a deal with them that it's, say, €2 entry and all the money goes to the venue, rather than having to worry about making a minimum amount every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Yea wednesday makes sense, thursday is going to the pub night and friday everyones off home. If I can work with them rather than just renting the place itd be better, I'll have a chat with them and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hybridchild

One thing to keep in mind if your charging admission it becomes a commerical screening, even if your just trying to cover costs. Because of this you will need permission from the anime rights holders and as your charging specifically for an anime screening (as this isnt part of a convention) you'll probably have to pay them a fee.

I'll have to read into that end of things. I wonder if its the same for a club as opposed to general admission.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

any public viewing will cause issue... maynooth... ugh... maybe somewhere southside??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd rather make a Genshiken-style, informal society than an anime club, anyway.

Because honestly, screw the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd rather make a Genshiken-style, informal society than an anime club, anyway.

Because honestly, screw the rules.

That is what kitty-kitty and I are trying to do.:p

Well eoin5 best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

As a non-student looking to get back into animé and living in the general Maynooth area I'll be keeping an eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

That is what kitty-kitty and I are trying to do.:p

Well eoin5 best of luck with it.

Hey, when is the next meet up of this going ahead? It was fun last time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Was just talking to a friend last night about this. The arts center would be ideal.

We know a guy who's working there, so I'll try and suss out some details this week in regards to pricing, insurence, licencing fee's etc.

I know they do film nights already, so I'll see what way they work out the rights issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I'd definitely be up for something like that. Fiver in doesn't sound too bad either, considering it's usually a lot more expensive into cinemas.

I was chatting to the lads and it seems like theyre going to put on a night at some stage so good stuff! I'll keep ye posted.

Advertisement