Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog or no Dog.....that is question??

• 30-03-2011 3:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

As above and regarding your situation(working or not)....could you give up your dog?

I've been even homeless with my fellla as family wouldnt take me in with my fella. How far would you go?

Serious answers only......How deep is your love!!??!!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Absolutely not.
    My job will be gone in July and so will my OH as we work in the same job. Getting rid of any of our 3 dogs or cat is not even a consideration, never has never will be. I can't even imagine a situation that would arise for us even to consider giving any of them up.
    A dog is for life......etc. etc.!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Harley is very active, so in the situation where for some reason both I and my husband lost use of our limbs, then he'd be better off elsewhere. I already have that elsewhere picked (same place he'd go in the event of our death).

Otherwise, no. He's a part of our life.

I've often said that should certain legislation come in where certain breeds are banned, as in taken away from their families, like in NI, I'd be moving elsewhere. Husband could sell the house and follow us. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

There's no way I could give up my dogs. I wouldn't give away any of my pets, not even my rabbits or guinea pigs. :) I get way too attached to them.

Well actually, if I couldn't look after them anymore, then I would give them away for their own good. But I don't see that happening.

I was thinking that if I moved away somewhere, that I might consider leaving some of my cats at home. But they'd be with my family and I would still see them, so it wouldn't be giving them up exactly. It's just that if I moved to a city, some of them would be ok with indoor life (the old one anyway) but some of them love living in the countryside and they also visit an old lady for food and she really likes them and would miss them. But then again, I'd really miss them too, it'd be a tough choice but I'd have to do whatever was best for the cats. If I moved to the country, that'd be fine, the cats would adjust. But I don't count that as giving up a pet, because I'd still see them often :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

NEVER...

God even the thought of it makes me upset... my cocker is 6 now and is very much a part of our lives and our family.... without him it wouldnt seem right...even when he is in kennels (when we were getting work done on the house)... we really missed him... something just didnt feel right...... god even the thought of him eventually dying ahwould make me very distressed...

Regardless of my situation or circumstances i would never give up my cocker... every decision i make takes him into consideration.... cockers are quiet clingy by nature... he would be distraught (as would i) if we
    sent him away..

God even the thought makes me teary :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

God I hope I never have to make that decision!! I was waiting for test results there a couple of weeks ago and you know the way you can panic a bit.. what if they find something in the scan/what if i have cancer or something then it went to what will happen to the dog/who'll take care of him/is it fair to on him/my parents to leave him with my them/would he be better somewhere else.. GAH!! Just the thought of it!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

tk123 wrote: »
    God I hope I never have to make that decision!! I was waiting for test results there a couple of weeks ago and you know the way you can panic a bit.. what if they find something in the scan/what if i have cancer or something then it went to what will happen to the dog/who'll take care of him/is it fair to on him/my parents to leave him with my them/would he be better somewhere else.. GAH!! Just the thought of it!! :(

God i know how you feel.... everytime we go away on holidays, i make sure both our parents know where our cocker is and that one set of parents will take him if anything should happen to us.... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Never ever while I'm still breathing!

Doesn't matter if we both lost our jobs and house, we would just move to my mams house and she loves my two. Couldnt think of giving them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, we've always said that we'd rather be homeless and with Darcey than living in a mansion without her.

Besides, there's only one other person in the world that we'd trust to look after our dog properly (my sister in law) and the idea of her living with anyone else kind of upsets me.

Actually, we got her full medical history from the vets showing all her vet trips in the first 3 years of her life when we didn't have her. It's really weird to think of her having had this whole other life with someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im the same, id live in a tent or sleep in my van if it meant i could keep my dogs, i would never, ever give them away.
    Like you Cocker, makes me sad to even think of a situation where i couldnt keep them:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Even just thinking about taking my dogs to a pound makes me feel sick. Yes they're clingy spaniels, but it would feel like such a betrayal of them - no way could I do it.

• Advertisement

No no no no no a million times no :(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

We're in the sad situation of having to move closer to my parents,and they have offered for my son and I to live with them, but we can only bring 2 dogs, 3 at most. No way, much as I love my Mum and Dad, I couldn't choose 3 dogs out of my lot to take, and which to give away. Very hard to find somewhere near them (in a village, not rural like we are at the moment) with enough room for 10 dogs on our budget, but we'll work it out. I made a commitment to my dogs, most of them have already been 'dumped' once in their lives.

However, rehoming in the dog's best interests is a different matter. I have a GSD/mal cross girl who hates the other bitches here, so I have decided to rehome her, but only to the perfect home. She is really unhappy in my pack, and she terrifies a couple of the other dogs. In my view, I would be selfish to keep her, because she and the other dogs are obviously very unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Wow ISDW your post almost brought a tear to my eye. We need more people like you. The word "commitment" jumped off the screen. That's what a dog is. A commitment for life.

I have no doubt things will work themselves out and you will find somewhere lovely (and near!) to enable you to keep all your dogs.

Fingers crossed for you it all works out. Good things happen to good people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Eibhin wrote: »
    Wow ISDW your post almost brought a tear to my eye. We need more people like you. The word "commitment" jumped off the screen. That's what a dog is. A commitment for life.

I have no doubt things will work themselves out and you will find somewhere lovely (and near!) to enable you to keep all your dogs.

Fingers crossed for you it all works out. Good things happen to good people :)

Aw thanks, but its life isn't it. As John Lennon so eloquently put it "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans":rolleyes: There are a lot of people much worse off than me at the moment, having to make tougher decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

not in a million years.

and i have even been told by people to get rid of some of my animals.

had a bit of monetary problems (no job, bills etc) and was getting money management advice and whatnot. they were looking into what could be cut back/got rid of etc as you do and they were like you could get rid of some of your pets (3cats, 2dogs) as that would free up a lot of income. animals cost a lot. :eek::eek::eek: i was like WHA! how could someone even suggest something like that. it sounds positively evil. to me that is the same as falling into financial hardship and someone saying 'you could get rid of your child, that'd save money as they cost a lot' (i don't have kids but my pets are as close as)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I get a lump in my throat just thinking of one of my dogs going to a pound or even another home, "till death do us part".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

hdowney wrote: »
    not in a million years.

and i have even been told by people to get rid of some of my animals.

had a bit of monetary problems (no job, bills etc) and was getting money management advice and whatnot. they were looking into what could be cut back/got rid of etc as you do and they were like you could get rid of some of your pets (3cats, 2dogs) as that would free up a lot of income. animals cost a lot. :eek::eek::eek: i was like WHA! how could someone even suggest something like that. it sounds positively evil. to me that is the same as falling into financial hardship and someone saying 'you could get rid of your child, that'd save money as they cost a lot' (i don't have kids but my pets are as close as)

Are you serious? hahaha!! The cheek! If thats the case, would ya mind giving up 1 or 2 kids to free up a bit of income haha. I can make that comparison as my fella is no different to a kid for me...possibly better ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I have three dogs and money is a bit tight at the moment. But I would never get rid of my dogs. Like right now, they finished their bag of dog food the other day and it will be another day or so before I get money to buy another one. But that's okay because I have chicken and pasta on standby and a day or so of that won't kill them. Actually they probably wish I never get another bag of dog food again!

But despite any financial hardships that may be going on, I am still getting out because my dogs need to be walked and I get to check out all these great free parks and appreciate the nice places we have and really see the city I live in because I walk around it. And when things get me down, I have these fantastic creatures who cheer me up just by being around because whatever else, I'm not on my own. I get a great welcome when I walk in the door and it's always nice knowing that they're there waiting for me.

Times are hard but things would be a lot worse if we didn't have our pets. They keep us going. I mean, we have to get up in the morning because they need to be let out and need to be fed. If you have dogs, you have to get dressed because they need to be walked. They keep your spirits up so that you can go out there and get that job, or sort out whatever is going on in your life.

Frankly, there are a lot of people I would discard from my life before I'd get rid of my dogs. And if anyone ever suggested it, I would not take kindly to it.

Advertisement