Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Sat Nav from Argos

Options
  • 30-03-2011 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

I purchased a new Mio Navman sat nav from Argos at the end of last October, it has been used 3 times. The first 2 times, it froze half way through the journey and the third and last time (over the weekend) it just keep freezing and when i went to switch it off it wouldnt turn off so had to wait for battery to die.
    Now, I dont have the receipt and i didnt buy insurance....so can i bring it back to argos or do i need to send it directly to the manufacturer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Argos, you are a customer of Argos, they in turn are a customer of Navman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Argos, you are a customer of Argos, they in turn are a customer of Navman

Do i just bring in the item and let them check it up on the system? i more than likely paid by card so im sure they will have some record of my details.
    Will i be able to get a refund or will they send it off to get fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Without some proof of purchase you have nothing to go on. You can't even prove to Argos that it was bought there. If you paid by credit/debit card then you need to find a statement that proves so. You can't just go in and expect Argos to chase down your purchase from the thousands of purchases that they have on their system.

Once you do, you can bring it back and Argos will likely replace it for you. They must make an offer of repair, replacement or refund, but are under no obligation to let you chose, or to even offer more than one option.

If you can't find a proof of purchase then you're going to have a very hard time getting anywhere.

jor el wrote: »
    Without some proof of purchase you have nothing to go on. You can't even prove to Argos that it was bought there. If you paid by credit/debit card then you need to find a statement that proves so. You can't just go in and expect Argos to chase down your purchase from the thousands of purchases that they have on their system.

Once you do, you can bring it back and Argos will likely replace it for you. They must make an offer of repair, replacement or refund, but are under no obligation to let you chose, or to even offer more than one option.

If you can't find a proof of purchase then you're going to have a very hard time getting anywhere.

I looked at my online banking this morning and tracked down the date and ammount i paid for the item. I presume, along with the argos product number sticker on the box that it wouldnt be too hard to track down. Plus it was the only item on that date that was charged to my card in argos. Im sure they have a modern enough system that it will have a search functionality on sold products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Bring the statement with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

On the one occasion that I lost an Argos receipt I gave them a copy of the relevant bank statement after obliterating all of the details except for those of the Argos transaction. What also helped was the Argos catalogue number on the box that I was returning. There was no problem getting a replacement item, and I even got a replacement receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

LowOdour wrote: »
    I looked at my online banking this morning and tracked down the date and ammount i paid for the item.

Print that and bring it with you. They will be able to find it when they know the product, date and time of purchase. Without the date and time though it would be very difficult.

cheers people, will bring in everything and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daisy boo boo

I looked at my online banking this morning and tracked down the date and ammount i paid for the item. I presume, along with the argos product number sticker on the box that it wouldnt be too hard to track down. Plus it was the only item on that date that was charged to my card in argos. Im sure they have a modern enough system that it will have a search functionality on sold products
    i work for argos..your bank statement will suffice as proof of purchase.it may be sent for repair,if not then it will be replaced.our system can only trace card transactions for last three months if the product was bought in the store not in another store..and if it was paid for by card not cash..

i work for argos..your bank statement will suffice as proof of purchase.it may be sent for repair,if not then it will be replaced.our system can only trace card transactions for last three months if the product was bought in the store not in another store..and if it was paid for by card not cash..

The item was purchased 5 months ago, are you saying this cannot be traced?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Argos can't trace it, but you can, so no problemo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daisy boo boo

The item was purchased 5 months ago, are you saying this cannot be traced?
    unfortunately no.but as i said if you paid by card then u have proof of purchase in your bank statement..by law u are required to have proof of purchase..u have your statement and box of it which i assume has catalogue number on it?then thats all u need..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

unfortunately no.but as i said if you paid by card then u have proof of purchase in your bank statement..by law u are required to have proof of purchase..u have your statement and box of it which i assume has catalogue number on it?then thats all u need..

Not correct. The law only says that the retailer can reject your claim if you can't prove the item was bought there. That's not the same as saying you are required to have proof, the retailer is totally free to accept your claim without proof if he so chooses. I think that's what you really mean to say but it came across differently.

OK, an update.

Brought the item back to argos...they could not trace the purchase (after having to ring the back to confirm card number, date and time of purchase). Must have been 30 minutes between everything trying to sort the issue out...in the end they gave me a replacement, but will not accept it for return without original receipt.

They were very helpful,and were good enough to give me a replacement.

Advertisement