Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum lease time

Options
  • 30-03-2011 9:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hi,

looking into renting my first apartment at the moment, but everywhere looks for a minimum 1 year lease. I've no problem with that if it all goes smoothly - but what if i lose my job or break up with my partner etc and cant pay the rent alone?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you think you could lose your job, break up with your partner, or otherwise be unable to pay the rent within the year time frame, don't rent and don't sign a one year lease. If you break the lease the landlord will keep your depost and will be entitled to come after you for the rent for the remaining period of the lease even if you have moved out.

In practice it would be pretty rare they would bother doing this, but it's a possibility so think about it before you commit to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Some leases have a 6 months break clause; you can as the LL if he would allow this if it's not already in there.

Advertisement