Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V

• 30-03-2011 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just read on Gamespot there that there's been voice casting for a new game that is suspected to be GTA V. The main bit of evidence is that one of the characters being cast is a minor character from San Andreas, which also hints at the setting.

And to be honest, I really amn't too excited about this. For all the previous GTA games I was gagging for release day. But despite all the little touches GTA4 had, I found it really boring and didn't even bother finishing it. I can only imagine I'll pick up GTA5, though I won't be in any rush this time.

What we heard: Earlier this month, a casting call surfaced for an "interactive project" called "Rush," which many suspect is a cover name for Grand Theft Auto V. The main reason for suspicion was the over-the-top nature of the characters and an association to Rockstar's go-to casting studio Telsey & Company. The casting clues also appeared to indicate the series would return to the West Coast, site of the popular--and famously controversial--Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Now, another casting call has emerged with a more concrete link to the GTA universe in the form of a character from San Andreas. Though the Actors Pages, which went up earlier today, has the production company and casting agency listed as private, it does list one of the roles being cast as one James Pedeaston.

Though not a major character in San Andreas, Pedeaston did make a humorous impact as the host of the Wild Traveler show on the WCTR radio station. On the program, he waxed poetic about his too-close-for-comfort relationship with a young boy in Sri Lanka, with his tales of exotic exploits offending listeners so much that they would call in to protest.

Pedeaston also made an appearance in Grand Theft Auto IV, albeit in a far reduced form. The game's Internet cafes allowed players to access the site freejames.org, which was set up following the character's 2003 arrest and subsequent conviction in Bali, Indonesia, on suspicion of child molestation. That latter detail is important, since the casting call describes Pedeaston as "a man-boy love activist who just got released from an Indonesian prison."

Given the solid link between the GTA series and the casting call, it is likely the other characters listed could make an appearance in an upcoming GTA game. These include: Matthew, "a liberal young male who believes in a conspiracy made by Republicans to undermine America"; Jose, "a white creepy man who thinks that technology is a poison against the wilderness"; and Anthony, "a young, fast-talking boy fighting for the right of young boys to drink alcohol and have sex." Another character, Samantha, further cements the West Coast connection, since she is "a young female obsessed with sex parties, always dreaming of being a Hollywood celebrity." (Emphasis added.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

I am hoping GTA IV was just a blip and that Rock* will get back to their roots with a brilliant GTA V.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say they learned from Grand Theft Auto 4, and considering how good the two addon's were, i'd say they've learned a lot. Hopefully they'll remember to include the 'fun' in the fifth game. Vice City for me was the pinnacle of GTA, so go back to that style and i'd be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, there was a cast call a few weeks ago as well, the characters sounded like they were all from san andreas. R* have the tech to put out the best looking sandbox game but they need some originality. Sick of drive here, shoot them, drive back missions. same wit red dead except horses. Biggest change they need to make is the driving. I loved the driving int gta 3 & vice city. saw a mod gor gta 4 on pc for realistic driving and faster cars, looked class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Actually, I'd love if they took a look a Saints Row 2 and aimed for that level of fun. They can still fit in a serious side to it, but it was almost like they concentrated too much on the city in 4 and forgot about the actual game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, SR 3 is gonna be serious competition and that will be out by end of this year. Doubt GTA 5 will be out before it but SR3 is a day one purchase for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

GTA IV's city was great but the game was just so goddamn dull, I never completed the game myself and I've played every GTA since day one laughing my ass off.

This was just a big fat "meh" with had it's unique GTA madness dropped. Having done the GTA 3 route of 1 big city with their new engine a San Andreas sized game is the next logical step..............set in the 80's :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep GTA IV was just too boring, there was nothing to do aside from drive around. They tried to make it too realistic without really concentrating on making the game fun to play. I finished it eventually on my second attempt but its a real struggle towards the end with so many monotonous missions.

I'll still more than likely get the new game but unlike previous games I'll definitely check reviews instead of just mindlessly buying it on release.

I know it splits opinion but I loved San Andreas, it was totally over the top but so much more fun than the other games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Duggy747 wrote: »
    set in the 80's :pac:

this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Realisticly GTA IV was almost a tech demo kind of like GTA III. It was good but San andreas was one of the best games of all time
    Now that the have the engine perfect i hope that start working on the story and extra aspects of the game that made Vice and San Andreas great i doubt it will be called V based on the last GTA trillogy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gta 4 surely was not realistic?

This was the reason I newer sticked to finish the damn thing. That was it's problem: it tryed to be realistic and Arcadus at the same time. When i passed by police doing stupid speed they did not even noticed me... When I drive on walkway side by side with police they don't see me... It was such a big city, but it felt so empty and dull...

Nothing wrong with games like this being realistic. Mafia 1 and mafia 2 did it perfect! It was realistic, but it was live and colorfull.

Gta needs do decide what it wants to be: realistic or fun. Nothing wrong in bouth things, it's just every time you try to mix 2 things - **** happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Agreed with alot of posters here, GTA4 was really boring.

Mafia 2 on the other hand is maybe one of the best games iv ever played, story wise. Its pretty short but really an amazing experience, the dialogue/acting is suburb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Surprised with the hate for GTA IV here. Loved it myself, finished it and the two expansions which where great too. With a 9.7/10 average critic rating, it doesn't get better than that. A few annoying aspects but the expansions eliminated them like having to do stuff with friends to keep them happy. So much stuff to do as well as as having a fantastic map.

Yes I would love to see a San Andreas remake. That was my favourite GTA but perhaps nostalgia is playing a bias role in that. I wouldn't complain if they upped the "fun if somewhat unrealistic" aspect of it. However I'm sure then we would get a whole different set of posters complaining that's it's not a believable feeling game. Either way I'm sure it will be a great game.

I'd say we won't see this until Autumn 2012, hopefully Spring 2012 though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I didn't play GTA IV for the storyline. I got a finished save and went downloading realism and livery mods for the game. Tis great craic altogether on LAN too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I loved gta4. San Andreas is my favourite though. Must get back into mta. I think I was added into a clan and all when I stopped Playing it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

God I hope it's a return to San Andreas, it's by far my favourite and I still play it on my 360. I liked GTA IV but it felt a bit too claustrophic and hemmed is for me and the vast expanses and the cities of San Andreas. I loved just driving or flying out to the desert and stumbling across stuff like Area 51.

Red Dead showed that Rockstar can do this sort of thing on modern consoles so an updated San Andreas would be perfect for me.

Reckon it had the best GTA soundtrack too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

GTA IV was a step forward for Rockstar, but they did leave some of the fun aspect of the previous titles out. Like many others, i'm hoping for a remake/new version of Vice City, by far the most enjoyable game in the series, closely followed by SA. Bring back Tommy Vercetti!!! (Ray Liotta ftw!)

Would love to see a Vice City type GTA again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The most important thing I'd like to see in the next one is more than just city. SA had so much longevity because you could spend so much time messing about in the countryside, driving off the mountain, flying airplanes in inbetween trees etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I agree that a San Andreas remake would be off the charts.

It was the most creative and in depth game in the series and while VC was good, I loved the early 90s feel to SA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i dont want a remake of SA simply because rockstar should keep trying to do new things and innovate instead of cashing in on a certainty (after all thats why CoD is so popular), gta 4 was a great game, i havnt spent more time on any other game this gen compared to gta 4 and in particular mp freemode, it was class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Why would anyone want a remake? You've already played it, just play it again if you want. I want GTA5, whatever that turns out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Why would anyone want a remake? You've already played it, just play it again if you want. I want GTA5, whatever that turns out to be.

GTA IV went back to Liberty City which was the setting for GTA 3, so why not visit San Andreas again? As much as I love Vice City, San Andreas was just so spot on with the early 90's gangsta culture that I'd love to visit it again with this gen graphics. And as much as everyone hated those aspects, I quite enjoyed the whole eat/ work out/ customise your cars thing it had going on. Added more depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But even if it was set in San Andreas, chances are it won't be the same time period (due to the level of technology they would likely want to keep in the game such as the Internet and modern mobile phones), the city would be completely different (there is no comparison between GTA3 Liberty City and GTA4 Liberty City), and the references etc would be completely different. Whether it's Vice City, San Andreas or a new city, it will be a completely different game.

Barrington wrote: »
    But even if it was set in San Andreas, chances are it won't be the same time period (due to the level of technology they would likely want to keep in the game such as the Internet and modern mobile phones), the city would be completely different (there is no comparison between GTA3 Liberty City and GTA4 Liberty City), and the references etc would be completely different. Whether it's Vice City, San Andreas or a new city, it will be a completely different game.

Yep can't argue with that. Even GTA4 moved on a good few years from the timeframe GTA 3 was set in. As for San Andreas, its the sheer size of the play area that would be the most suitable. You also have the distinctive areas which were missing from GTA IV - Broker, Dukes and Bohan basically looked the same with some small tweaks. SA had San Fierro, Los Santos, Las Venturas all with an individual style and feel to them (and all the countryside in between).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I'd be hopeful for this one. I think the last game saw most of the
    production effort go into GTA's engine overhaul.
    There probably wasn't a whole lot left in the barrel by the time they'd
    gotten the game world up and running.
    I'd imagine Rockstar's next move will be more FUN orientated.
    One slight concern for me would be the limited storage space on a
    single DL-DVD.
    I think they'll have a hard time expanding to the scale of GTA-SA while still
    maintaining that level of detail.
    Then again, these are some extremely talented people. What they managed to squeeze out of the ancient PS2 had us all gob smacked.
    Fingers crossed :)

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I'd be hopeful for this one. I think the last game saw most of the
    production effort go into GTA's engine overhaul.
    There probably wasn't a whole lot left in the barrel by the time they'd
    gotten the game world up and running.
    I'd imagine Rockstar's next move will be more FUN orientated.
    One slight concern for me would be the limited storage space on a
    single DL-DVD.
    I think they'll have a hard time expanding to the scale of GTA-SA while still
    maintaining that level of detail.
    Then again, these are some extremely talented people. What they managed to squeeze out of the ancient PS2 had us all gob smacked.
    Fingers crossed :)

The first 2 disc GTA perhaps?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ConfusedGuy92

GTA 4 was a great game and no one can really deny it, but the problem was that it just never fell into the trend with the previous games and it let us down with what we were expecting and wanted. It took out all of those little touches of childishness with it's new grown up feeling and we all loved the jokes in GTA. Niko is a pretty boring character, and following good characters such as Tommy and CJ, he really never did it for anyone.

My dreams for the next game are as follows:-

1. Setting back in San Andreas.
    2. Charcter be either Sweet, Cesar or one of the essay gang members.
    3. San Andreas gets many changes but not a complete new city.
    4. Graphics are not as good as GTA 4, but still an improvment on San Andreas.
    5. Cars and driving are from GTA 4.
    6. Childishness is resumed.
    7. They take all additions of San Andreas back, eg. player and car modifications, bikes etc.

If they did that stuff, which wouldnt be too hard, they could make a new greatest game of all time.

GTA 4 was a great game and no one can really deny it, but the problem was that it just never fell into the trend with the previous games and it let us down with what we were expecting and wanted. It took out all of those little touches of childishness with it's new grown up feeling and we all loved the jokes in GTA. Niko is a pretty boring character, and following good characters such as Tommy and CJ, he really never did it for anyone.

My dreams for the next game are as follows:-

1. Setting back in San Andreas.
    2. Charcter be either Sweet, Cesar or one of the essay gang members.
    3. San Andreas gets many changes but not a complete new city.
    4. Graphics are not as good as GTA 4, but still an improvment on San Andreas.
    5. Cars and driving are from GTA 4.
    6. Childishness is resumed.
    7. They take all additions of San Andreas back, eg. player and car modifications, bikes etc.

If they did that stuff, which wouldnt be too hard, they could make a new greatest game of all time.

They need a lead character in the style of The Boss from Saints Row 2 - just a complete dangerous badass. Niko Bellic was interesting but a bit too "emotional".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Let the character you play as be Packie McReary. Please!
    He was great craic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

GTA 4 was not boring at all, the only gripe I had was that bull**** about trying to have friends but I just didn't bother with that after about half way and it didn't make a difference, class game just replayed it from head to toe, and the Lost and the Damned and now playing Gay Tony, and they're all brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ConfusedGuy92

I couldn't deal with Patrick's awful accent.

There does need to be some emotion in the character though. Like Tommy wassent as good as Carl being he had no incentive so you never got behind his fight as much as you did with CJ.

Advertisement