Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

glanbia set milk price

• 30-03-2011 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering if any one has signed up to the glanbia manufacturing milk price deal, got a call from them thye other day,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

No, I won't be either, don't have a large milk quota. It is hard to know how milk will go over the coming years but I don't think it will go back to being as bad as 2009.
    2010 price level probably more realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hard to know would like to know more before signing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EAMONNHEALY

How does the price on offer compare with recent and likely future milk prices?
    r 2010, the average base price paid by Glanbia for manufacturing milk will be 27.86 c/litre. The base price was at its lowest in the first half of the year and has remained unchanged for seven months from May through to November 2010. See Table 1.

In 42 of the last 70 months (January 2005 to November 2010), CSO monthly milk price at 3.7% butterfat has been less than 28 c/litre including VAT. See Figure 1.

Despite continuing risk of cyclical fluctuation in milk price, medium term projections for milk price are good. At the 2010 National Dairy Conference, Marina Rebello of Rabobank spoke of ‘continued volatility but a mid term average milk price of around 29 to 30 c/litre’.

FAPRI projects that the 2011 milk price will be similar to that paid in 2010.

The scheme would also be attractive to medium to high cost producers who want to protect themselves against the risk of milk price falling back to 2009 levels. Low cost milk producers may feel that they can cope with 2009 type milk prices and look to maximise their profits at high milk prices.

Ultimately the decision is up to each individual milk supplier.

Table 1: Glanbia Monthly Base Price 2010 (excl. VAT)
    Month
    Base Price (cpl, excl. VAT)
    % Supplied*
    Jan
    Feb
    Mar
    Apr
    May
    Jun
    Jul
    Aug
    Sep
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec*
    Average Base Price 2010

*Dec. price assumed to remain unchanged

cid:B768B104BB5E42AFA5AF21154061B6DA@healyj0lssevmm

Manufacturing Milk (c/litre incl. VAT, 3.7% butterfat, CSO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Got text from Glanbia.

Closing date tomorrow, likely to be over subscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Starting to look like milk prices have peaked. Recent market prices for commoddities are starting to show reductions.

• Advertisement

i have 50/50 liquid and manufacturing, so i pput half of my manufacturing in to the scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Put in application for 40% - man on the inside told us it was massively oversubscribed so upped it to 60%. Will be lucky to get 20-25% i would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

if you put a large % into the scheme this year, and it is rolled over on an on going basis every year then that large % from this year will come out of the scheme in 2015 just as quotas go, and probably a very volatile time.

how ever if a larger % is put in over the next two years this will help to carry you over the 2015 hump.

am i just dreaming or is there any thing to this..........!!

got a call from dairies today wanting to know did i want to put more into this scheme , at the minute it is lower than the normal price being paid, what do other people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

got a call today as well
    I wont put any in I think price will strengeten
    If A lot milk is put in now less chance of price going up
    Glanbia customers obviously think price is going up so they want to fix at 28 c plus inflation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

id say glanbia are like cattle agents the time to hold is when they are ringing you

so whats the thinking now lads:confused:

Loosing at mom hope price goes backup quick

had a rep here on friday, not goig to say where from:cool: he said 26cpl in august:eek: will bottom out at that- hope he's wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

whelan1 wrote: »
    had a rep here on friday, not goig to say where from:cool: he said 26cpl in august:eek: will bottom out at that- hope he's wrong

Are you hopimg it will go lower.....god you are a sucker for punishment

Are you hopimg it will go lower.....god you are a sucker for punishment
    mmmm........... no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

mmmm........... no

i heard 25 but most are hinting (or is it hoping) 28,

TBH i thought milk price would slump last back end & it held up, wonder if it did would they have hacked up the feed prices like they did ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

The drop in value of the Euro that has happened over the last few weeks is bound to help the price of milk on two fronts, it should stop the big fall in milk price in Europe and input prices will be shoved up.

A cooling of the milk price now may not be a bad thing... long term. The last thing that is needed is a big high going into 2015. If it is very high in 2013-2014, the fall in 2015 would be crippling.

apparently new zealand dumped aload of milk on the markets at the end of their season and this is the main reason for the slump:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yep I heard that also, that is another advantage of having one large processor like Fonterra in NZ, you can flex your muscle and influence the markets in your favour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

maxxuumman wrote: »
    If it is very high in 2013-2014, the fall in 2015 would be crippling.

Hmm I don't think post quota will have any influence at all in terms of prices, milk price is dictated by the world price, and the quota only effects Europe which is not going to turn around in 2015 and ramp up production like Ireland hopes to.

The only price effects that no quota have here will be the lack of processing capacity, and this June peak problem.

Timmaay wrote: »
    If it is very high in 2013-2014, the fall in 2015 would be crippling.

Hmm I don't think post quota will have any influence at all in terms of prices, milk price is dictated by the world price, and the quota only effects Europe which is not going to turn around in 2015 and ramp up production like Ireland hopes to.

The only price effects that no quota have here will be the lack of processing capacity, and this June peak problem.

Sorry for being blunt, but are you kidding me. Do you think we are the only country planning to expand post 2015. And if you think we are, can you explain the price fall this year.
    Despite the fact that Teagasc and the IFA and their likes have been jumping up and down for the last few years about the quota free environment, they forgot to take into account that we are not the only country in Europe planning to expand. We have Germany, Denmark and other countries quietly planning to expand. Even friends of mIne in the UK are seeing alot of plans for expansion, major expansion on some large dairy farms.
    Look at what Arla did last week.
    Even Ireland on its own, if we hit the Food 2020 targets will increase Europes milk production by over 2%.
    It's a thin line between feast and famine.

Don't worry about peak May/June production, if there is money to be made at milk there should be plenty of processors capable of investing to handle this milk. It's lack of confidence in milk that is sending the processors back to us for the investment in extra stainless steel.

anyone hear any indication on the may milk price yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I'm sure we'll find out in the next couple of weeks supposed to be 3c/l less than april

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

td5man wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll find out in the next couple of weeks supposed to be 3c/l less than april

Spoke to a Glanbia man today and he said 2 cent cut for may! I'd say it's a given. On the positive hopefully it will take the heat outa all the hype of dairy producers etc and people getting into milk.

Fonterra went very very well today

really?

really?

13.5% rise, and 21% on SMP.

With the euro value and those auction prices, it will be bad tack for the coops to pull 2-3 cent, this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

really?

13.5% rise, and 21% on SMP.

With the euro value and those auction prices, it will be bad tack for the coops to pull 2-3 cent, this month.

It will be interesting to see what they do! I still reckon 2cent cut. They will not want to be seen holding the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

and what about the other 70% of the commodity that fonterra don't trade. They were singing from a different hymn sheet not so long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

They will definately cut the price I think - how much is the question.

They might do 2 cent and say we went easy it could have been 3 or they might go 3 cent and ignore the moaning

Tipp Man wrote: »
    They will definately cut the price I think - how much is the question.

They might do 2 cent and say we went easy it could have been 3 or they might go 3 cent and ignore the moaning
    fookers! you where right 2.5cpl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Any word on arrabawn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

fookers! you where right 2.5cpl
    don't start that crap now whelan:D look at all the monies you got for your calves,jesus you were not long forgetting that:p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

leg wax wrote: »
    don't start that crap now whelan:D look at all the monies you got for your calves,jesus you were not long forgetting that:p.

hard to find anything to top a moaning dairy farmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Any word on arrabawn?
    Lakeland 1.5-2c cut

Are Glanbia more interested in spiting co-op and plc assets than selling our milk products at top price
    They will tell what mess they have made in the next weak or two
    Why are they not talking to Frontera

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Any word on arrabawn?

to morrow i think

with arrabawn no news usually means bad news

my dad said he heard an interview with someone from the icmsa this morning on the radio, he said it was the worst interview he ever heard:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭MANSFIELD

If the cuts continue at the rate there going atm. Soon we won't have to worry about further cuts - we will be getting 0.0 cpl for our milk.

• Advertisement

Just checked bank a/c on line , May milk cheque in.. won't have statement 'til next collection

NOT HAPPY :mad: :mad:

check your glanbia milk statements on line theres a mistake on mine, difference of nearly 2k of total on statement and amount in my bank account

snowman707 wrote: »
    Just checked bank a/c on line , May milk cheque in.. won't have statement 'til next collection

NOT HAPPY :mad: :mad:
    so is this going to happen every year when new zealand dump their milk at the end of their year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

so is this going to happen every year when new zealand dump their milk at the end of their year?
    Yes:pac:

interesting reading in the farmers journal editorial on page 2 by matt dempsey about glanbia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

interesting reading in the farmers journal editorial on page 2 by matt dempsey about glanbia

Yea I reckon he was talking a lot of sense. This notion that if we get rid of the plc that an all Ireland processing co-op will become a reality is not a sure thing with dairygold wanting to do their own thing etc. We are in a pretty good situation at the moment with massive equity built up in our business. We do need to harness that equity for our benefit, but I don't think changing the ownership structure to a co-op is going to answer to all our prayers like some seem to believe.
    If glanbia plc is only willing to invest in businesses that give a return of 12%+. Then why are we as a co-op so keen to invest in a 5% margin business. Surely we as the co-op should be aiming to maximise returns to all shareholders.
    I think its about time the co-op had its own independant board. As this situation where the same farmer board members sit on both co-op and plc board is like a dog trying to serve 2 masters.

Advertisement