Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cell count problems

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

babybrian wrote: »
    Oh god Im now in the same boat, for years we have been consistently under 300 scc and now this year I havent been under it yet :mad:

I know the cows and I know the quarters(CMT test), but my question is is it possible to get them back down???:confused: have tries tubes and after talking to the vet tried 2 bottles of Intertrim/cow for 6 days and it seemed to work but after a week since last injection it shot back up again.....I was nearly ready to cry in the milking parlour this evening because I thaught I was getting on top of it...:(

Has anything worked consistently for anyone here?? I am considering drying off quarters as a last resort..

UPDATE and thanks to lads and/or ladies for advice..
    Got the SCC problem under control for since May and even last 2 texts from co-op had scc of 58 and then 48 :)

Heres what I did.
    • got machine checked and problem with 2 clusters
    • Started teat spraying pre and post milking
    • always wore gloves even before this episode
    • changed the tube company
    • milked high scc cows last and even milked 3 teats and then stuck on the 4th near the end of milking and this was directed to feeding calves while also keeping the cow from losing the quarter so hopefully when she gets her strong dry cow tube it will clear all up before next February. Adds an extra few mins but I hate having 3 spinners :rolleyes:
    Again thanks for the advice and isnt it good to hear a happy story ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

babybrian wrote: »
    UPDATE and thanks to lads and/or ladies for advice..
    Got the SCC problem under control for since May and even last 2 texts from co-op had scc of 58 and then 48 :)

Heres what I did.
    • got machine checked and problem with 2 clusters
    • Started teat spraying pre and post milking
    • always wore gloves even before this episode
    • changed the tube company
    • milked high scc cows last and even milked 3 teats and then stuck on the 4th near the end of milking and this was directed to feeding calves while also keeping the cow from losing the quarter so hopefully when she gets her strong dry cow tube it will clear all up before next February. Adds an extra few mins but I hate having 3 spinners :rolleyes:
    Again thanks for the advice and isnt it good to hear a happy story ;)
    Good news indeed;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

happy days.. we also have been ok for the last few months- touch wood

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

we went down to 45 then up to 345 culled 6 cows so at the mo we are at 170 ish so in the middle but we will fight the good fight and hopefully next year we can stay under the 100k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Min wrote: »
    Paddy O'Keeffe on the Farmers Journal was saying a few weeks ago that the 400,000 limit was too high.

I have heard the view expressed that 400,000 cells/ml is liquid pus

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

LostCovey wrote: »
    I have heard the view expressed that 400,000 cells/ml is liquid pus

LC
    Apparently 250,000 is the new 400,000 in 3 years:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

as far as i know many co ops penalised for over 300 till last year. raised to 400 because it affected there position in farmers journal milk league.:confused:

Advertisement