Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to try rehome a pet here?

• 30-03-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭

i have a beautiful cocker spaniel puppy that we need to rehome, is it ok to post that here?

im not looking to sell her, she would be free to a good home if one was out there for her :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Do you mind if i ask your reasons for rehoming her?

If its training issues I'm sure posters here maybe able to help ;)

Im sure you'll find an excellent home for her... I have a cocker (6, black male) and would love another one (still working on my OH)...

cockers are quiet popular and are excellent dogs so im sure you will have no issues in rehoming her... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ill explain fully in a post if its allowed, but basically we surprised my mum with her to replace our beloved lab who dies a few years back, and initially she was delighted but a few days later she decided that she cant deal with owning a puppy all over again,

she is only 8 weeks old so its not training or anything like that,

unfortunately we made a big mistake :(

i feel terrible, she is a beautiful little girl :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would firstly contact the breeder and explain your circumstances, any good responsible breeder will want to take the puppy back and not have it rehomed by the buyer, so please make sure you contact them first before doing anything else.

ok... dont stress... firstly i understand your mother reservations.... puppies can take their toll on your patience :D... my cocker tried my patience for 18 months ... but now i wouldnt change him for the world..

How long has she had ther puppy?? 8 weeks is very young ...

As it can take a few weeks to bond with her? Maybe she just needs time to get to know the dog

Does she want the puppy gone ASAP.. or is she willing to give it a few weeks??

Is she is willing to give it time im sure lots of posters will try and help ease her into the puppy stage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'd say back to the breeder too but I would question a breeder who sold a pup as a surprise so http://www.dogstrust.ie/ They'll at least rehome her properly and follow up with her spaying when she's old enough.

• Advertisement

i know we made a massive mistake folks, i dont need reminding, and it also isnt going to help.

her friend breeds king charlies cavaliers and has taken the dog from her and is looking after her at the minute and has offered to find someone else, the breeder has been contacted but all he offered was to let us know if he had any more enquiries from his advert.

my parents love dogs, and still talk about our lab that passed away, that is why i let myself be talked into this.

dogs trust is an option but it seems like total abandonment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I really would try and push the breeder to take it back. As a breeder they have a reponsibility to this pup for the lifetime of it if there are ever any problems so i would contact them again.
    Where did you find this breeder?

Whats the reason for your mam not wanting to keep the dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Rehoming pups is easier than rehoming older dogs but you have to be sure that she's going to a home that won't pass her onto someone else down the line or use her as a breeding machine. It's all fine and dandy to assume that she'll go to a good place but the reality is that great homes are hard to find in the current climate and you had better be prepared to really do your homework before you pass this pup on.

If you are going to rehome her yourself then make sure you get advice from the people at Dogs Trust and a few other rescues as to the best way to go about it and what questions to ask potential new owners and make sure that they agree to have her spayed when old enough and make sure you follow up on it when the time comes. I would also have her chipped if she's not already and make sure that you stay in touch with them to check on her progress.

Cyrus wrote: »
    i know we made a massive mistake folks, i dont need reminding, and it also isnt going to help.

her friend breeds king charlies cavaliers and has taken the dog from her and is looking after her at the minute and has offered to find someone else, the breeder has been contacted but all he offered was to let us know if he had any more enquiries from his advert.

my parents love dogs, and still talk about our lab that passed away, that is why i let myself be talked into this.

dogs trust is an option but it seems like total abandonment

I agree reminding you, you have made a mistake is totally pointless...

Have you though about keeping her yourself??

I would be very careful at the breeder you know, who is looking after her and will try and rehome her... last thing she needs is to off loaded to another breeder... she deserves a lovely home and a proper family...... and not to be breed etc.

Try posting here:

http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/viewforum.php?f=23

Cockers are brillant dogs loads of people would love one...

thanks for all the advice folks,

a few friends of mine that own dogs and are looking for company for them have come back to me, and I would prefer to go down this route as id know where she was going :)

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »
    Have you though about keeping her yourself??

i would love nothing more, unfortunately i live in an apartment currently :(

thanks for all the advice folks,

a few friends of mine that own dogs and are looking for company for them have come back to me, and I would prefer to go down this route as id know where she was going :)

Thats brillant news... hope its all works out for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

If you are stuck for a home I am happy to help just PM me

Suzi

thank you Suzi, but lily is on her way to her new home, everyone is happy that it has ended well for her, and her new owner has a 1 year old springer who is looking forward to meeting her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

thank you Suzi, but lily is on her way to her new home, everyone is happy that it has ended well for her, and her new owner has a 1 year old springer who is looking forward to meeting her :)

Thats great news happy ending :)

Advertisement