Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Requirements - Ancillary Items

Options
  • 30-03-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I posted a week or two ago about building a handful of PC's for work.

Looks like this is going to be approved, so I am going to buy one and test it against our requirements and see where to go from there.

Right now, my question is, aside from the stuff regularly posted here (OS, Case, PSU, RAM, etc) what other items are required/recommended for a build, generally.

The case I am ordering has a 120mm fan and I am also getting an upgraded CPU cooler.
    I have thermal paste.
    I have an antistatic wrist strap.

So, what else will I require?
    UK/Irish 3 pin plugs?
    Sata cable extenders?
    Do I need some sort of blanking plate to fit around the rear facing main-board connections?

Anything else? I would hate to receive all the stuff from the courier and be stumped for one little thing to complete the build.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Other than the components you order, you shouldn't need anything but a screwdriver.

It can sometimes, with very big cases, happen that your CPU power cable won't be long enough by an inch or something, and you'll need an extension, but that won't happen with an office PC type build.

If you're using third party coolers, the only thing extra you should need is some thermal paste, but you have that, so I'd say you're good to go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

One thing to watch out for is the number of SATA cables that come with the motherboard. If each PC has a hard drive and DVD drive, you might have a spare for one build, but not for 30 computers.

A good few monitors don't have DVI cables with them.

If you're buying from hardwareversand, don't get keyboards (German layout).

Advertisement