Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dodgey free to air kit

• 30-03-2011 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,
    My friend got one of them cheap free to air kits, Philex I think it was. He had no luck getting a signal so I said id take a look. Im no expert but have done a few. I have a basic sat meter that has l.e.d's that light up to show signal, has workd fine for the few iv done. Despite the meter showing a good signal no picture was coming in on his box. I tried my own freesat box with his dish/cable and the best I could get was 26% signal. I then went and got a sky dish to replace the free to air dish and that gave me 67% signal on the freesat box and that works fine great picture..However, the free to air box will not function it says " no signal". I got him his own freesat box and he's happy it works fine. What i'm thinking is:

The LNB on the cheap free to air dish was dodge thats's why it would only give the freesat box 26% signal.

Also, the 67% that is sufficient for the freesat box is not high enough for the free to air box which is why it will not work but the freesat one will? or is the box also a heap of dirt.

I thought it was a strange one...anyone with any ideas greatly welcome,thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

The fta box was probably on the wrong satellite, most are configured to 19.0 as default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

kbell wrote: »
    The fta box was probably on the wrong satellite, most are configured to 19.0 as default.

It should still show up any channels available from whatever sat your are pointed at. AFAIK you dont have to have the receiver set to the right one as these are only like folders to store channels in. I'm open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

kbell wrote: »

But the freesat box is connected to the sky dish and working fine...when i take the freesat box out and put the free to air box in it says "no signal"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

paulcdub85 wrote: »
    But the freesat box is connected to the sky dish and working fine...when i take the freesat box out and put the free to air box in it says "no signal"...
    I'd go with the experts that'd be on later, but the FTA receivers I have default to 19 degrees as the satellite/ transponder list, as mentioned above. I'd check that the FTA receiver is set to the right satellite first (you might have to add transponders too, but you should get something on the loaded transponders, if not the full range).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Channel list could have been old or corrupted?

Was a scan done on the Philex, with the same dish that was verified pointing at the correct satellite and good signal quality, using the Freesat box?

Possible difference in tuner sensitivity, as I've seen one box display a picture with a marginal signal, whilst another box (Sky) gave up trying to get a signal lock connected to the same dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Yup, if the FTA box is "looking" for a signal from 19.0, and isn't receiving it, then its going to display "no signal".

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Do a factory reset on the phillex box if that dont work then the box has a faulty tuner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Totally agree with scaller, I have factory defaulted a load of these piles of electronic rubbish and they worked afterwards, however keep in a well ventilated location as I have 3 or 4 already with blown capacitors in the psu....

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

thanks for the replies i will try defaulting the philex box. But has anyone any idea why the free-to-air DISH would only give the FREESAT BOX 26% signal yet the sky dish is giving it 67%...surley it could only be a faulty lnb?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

thanks for the replies i will try defaulting the philex box. But has anyone any idea why the free-to-air DISH would only give the FREESAT BOX 26% signal yet the sky dish is giving it 67%...surley it could only be a faulty lnb?

The LNB on the phillex dish was probably not Skewed properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement