Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking someone to leave your property who is not your tenant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mdebets wrote: »
    So the OP should get into contact with a solicitor follow the correct procedure to terminate the lease.
    Reason one for needing a solicitor: if you send a registered letter to the address addressed to the woman, then the woman has to sign for it. If she's not there, someone falsely pretending to be her signing the letter may constitute breaking some postal related law?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

mdebets wrote: »
    Neither leaving the country nor stop paying rent terminates a lease. So the OP should get into contact with a solicitor follow the correct procedure to terminate the lease.
    The brother was not a squatter,as the tenant allowed him to live there and I presume she informed the OP about this.
    Leaving the country and stopping payment of rent could certainly be considered terminating the lease. It isn't like they left for a week, they are gone months. The property has been left vacant now so having something in writing won't make much difference. Effectively you are suggesting that when somebody leaves a property you must get written conformation and you don't.

They abandoned the property and gave the keys to somebody else who just happened to be their brother. The fact he wasn't on the lease and didn't pay rent makes him a squatter. I doubt that he had written permission to be there if you want to be pedantic about the legalities.

OP make sure you pay the PRTB from now on. I assume you are paying your taxes but others will not if you don't pay PRTB.

Advertisement