Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC4 and classic Top of the Pops

Options
  • 30-03-2011 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Relive your youth from Thursday next week at 7.30pm every week as BBC4 start reshowing TOTP editions starting with the "phew what a scorcher" summer of 76. Its followed by a tie-in called Top of the Pops: The Story of 1976
    The nation grew up with Top of the Pops and it was always a talking point, but 35 years ago a particular kind of Top of the Pops programme and tone held sway. This documentary explores Top of the Pops in 1976, as a barometer of the state of pop and light entertainment TV. It celebrates the power of the programme and observes British society of the mid 70s, British TV and the British pop scene. In 1976, glam was over and nothing had replaced it - the charts belonged to Showaddywaddy, Brotherhood of Man and the Wurzels, all to be found on Top of the Pops hosted by the Radio 1 DJs. If you wanted rock you looked to the Old Grey Whistle Test, while outside the charts a new scene was rumbling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Checks 1976.

Oh dear. Oh deary deary dear. :(

jj-barrie-no-charge-1976.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Banjara

....... not the best year for me music wise , but that's my opinion of course!!

Also don't get BBC4 :( Have heard they have had some good music docus.

Personally, I'd love 78/79 period with lots of post punk gems that were around at that time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Anarchy In the UK Sex Pistols

(Not on TOTP though).

..... and neither did 'God Save the Queen' the following year ..... wonder why!! !!

I haven't checked but as I recall, GSTQ was never 'officially' recorded as a number one in UK chart history and has always been listed in records as no. 2, although it is supposedly well known that it outsold whoever was 'on top' at the time.

Banjara wrote: »
    ..... and neither did 'God Save the Queen' the following year ..... wonder why!! !!

I haven't checked but as I recall, GSTQ was never 'officially' recorded as a number one in UK chart history and has always been listed in records as no. 2, although it is supposedly well known that it outsold whoever was 'on top' at the time.

We'll never know.

NME's chart put it at number 1 but the BBC showed it at number 2 (but having banned it,never played it.)

Some chart return shops wouldn't stock it,so they would skew the result as well.

Actually I think that Pretty Vacant is their best song.

• Advertisement

Anybody watching this?

Not Pan's people's greatest moment.

What was on the show, out of interest?

Lol, Pan's People ....... I remember my dad having a 'dense' moment and remarking how wonderful it was that they seemed to be in the charts every week with a different song ......:D

At this very moment:

Abba(Fernando)
    The Beatles(Paperback Writer imagined by Pan's People)
    David Dundas(Reggae Like It Used To Be)
    10cc (I'm Mandy Fly Me)
    Bay City Rollers(Dunno,went for a pee)
    Four Seasons (Silver Star)
    The Carpenters(There's a Kind Of Hush imagined by Pan's People again)

More to come.

Thanks for update ........ hopefully someone will upload these shows to YouTube!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

1976 was pretty memorable to me musically - it was the year my parents decided to leave Oz and return to Ireland. I went from being an Ozzie kid from the suburbs of Sydney with a choice of pop/rock music shows to watch on various TV channels - to RTE 1. (Tragedy at the time).

But I remember "Young Heart Run Free" - Candi Staton, "You to me are everything" - The Real Thing, "Silly Love Song" - Wings, "Kisses for Me" - Brotherhood of Man and loads of Abba.

And relying on Radio Luxembourg to hear the songs of the time.

What year did we get RTE 2 and "Top of the Pops".

(Of course you Dubs were able to tune in to BBC, ITV etc. we couldn't in Cork).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1978 was the year, well November 2nd so twas nearly 79 :)

main-000-16.jpg

I remember it well!

Great screengrab Mike.

Nights in the student centre in NIHE Limerick watching Dr. Hook (IN COLOUR!).

Advertisement