Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, in the local papers

• 30-03-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Weekly comment on whats making the local rags ,
    for opinions & expat blaas checkin in here....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

I noticed on the front of the Waterford Today this morning that the developers (Bolster group) for the old Stanley site are committing to demolishing and clearing the site before the tall ships, as part of phase 1 of their Water Haven development. Good news surely, at least the development seems to be progressing.

Found this piece on their site: http://www.bolstergroup.com/bolster-properties/waterford-waterhaven-progress-statement.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Very good Idea for a thread OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

How are we liking the new Munster Express tabloid format?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Terrible choice of fonts. It looks really bad when put side by side with the News and Star.

I like it in theory but I agree with Admmm. It looks awful compared to the news & star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

ziedth wrote: »
    I like it in theory but I agree with Admmm. It looks awful compared to the news & star.

It must be piss poor so ? I must get a copy today to have a gander at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

rayc wrote: »
    I noticed on the front of the Waterford Today this morning that the developers (Bolster group) for the old Stanley site are committing to demolishing and clearing the site before the tall ships, as part of phase 1 of their Water Haven development. Good news surely, at least the development seems to be progressing.

Found this piece on their site: http://www.bolstergroup.com/bolster-properties/waterford-waterhaven-progress-statement.html

Saw that on waterford today my query would be
    Seeing watersgate next door can't sell their units what's the point of building another ghost complex, whoevers putting up the collatrel must have cash to burn....

The news and star leads with the case of the man killed down in the park,and prints a sick text from one of accused
    While the new munster express goes with the suspicious burning down of the chicken ranch in ballybeg....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Fúck all jobs as usual. :( That development on the Stanley site is crazy even in it's reduced form. It's great to see that eye-sore going but how can they justify building more apartments and another hotel when we can't fill the ones we have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

There's no development going ahead, they are just clearing the site ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Junior wrote: »
    There's no development going ahead, they are just clearing the site ?
    No, I think they still intend to build the development. Read the link to the Bolster Group website in this thread. They probably won't start actual construction for another year or two, and they would probably build in different phases, so the whole thing wouldn't be completed for a good few more years, by which time we may have got over the worst of the recession and have economic growth again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

The article (?) on the cover of the Waterford today is just a press release from the Developer - I wonder what the rate per word is on that? :rolleyes:

I'd suggest that the demolition has more to do with the Tall Ships than any real intention to develop the site. The hyperbole will please the pro-developer brigade in the City, which I assume is the point of the publicity.

Newspapers are known to print press releases on their front page if they are newsworthy, nothing strange about that.

Do you think the developer is going to spend a few million demolishing the buildings and just not bother to develop the site, after spending millions on design and planning, and taking years to see this through the planning process? I guess he could just do nothing and wait and hope to sell the land in the future, but I think you're being a bit cynical about it.

As far as I know the developer is a Waterford man born & bred, and his company has created employment locally, so I would be inclined to give his intentions the benefit of the doubt. Let's see what he does when the land is ready for construction before we start accusing of him of having no intentions to develop the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The only eyecatching thing I noticed in the local rags was a blonde girl who won some prize draw worth a grand. Christ she was fine. Congratulations to her.

On a lesser note I didn't win the credit union car draw again, I'm starting to think its fixed. When I get time I will investigate further.

Rathmoylan free range eggs now come in new packaging, the same great tasting googy eggs but a newly designed box. This is small to medium sized business saying **** you to the recession. Good stuff.

There wasn't much else, some sports stuff, more ****e about buildings and banks, cash for gold ads and some quarehawks making up horoscope nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Surprised and disappointed there wasn't more coverage on the Ellicksons story in the News & Star.

40 employees treated with complete and utter disregard after decades of service to the company.

Was a few paragraphs on the side of a page sufficient, when there was a two page spread given to the Mayors ball and the Mercy fashion show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Am I the only one that read the Queen is coming here? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Am I the only one that read the Queen is coming here? :/

You're probably the only one who didn't notice the date in the corner of the page as well :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Yep, typical story for April 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Probably. I wasnt awake at all :o
    Cheating running it in mid-week though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Great idea for a thread!:)

(robbing the idea for the wexford forum:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Surprised and disappointed there wasn't more coverage on the Ellicksons story in the News & Star.

40 employees treated with complete and utter disregard after decades of service to the company.

Was a few paragraphs on the side of a page sufficient, when there was a two page spread given to the Mayors ball and the Mercy fashion show?

I know it's absolutely shocking how much this has just been brushed aside. The way they were treated was disgraceful.

• Advertisement

I'm not familiar with the full details. What happened? I only heard about the 40 being let go.

Someone close to me has worked there for over 20 years - basically, they were left in the dark up untill 3 weeks ago, saying everything was fine.

The 40 workers were then told there might be some redundancies, might not. Then their wages failed to materialise on 17 March. They had that Friday off and when they turned up on the Monday, the front gates were locked - not a sign of anyone.

Turns out, the top brass had a meeting with AIB in Dublin to discuss going into receivership, but failed to disclose this to any of their employees. No wages again that week. No one to give them their P45's either.

It wasn't until the end of last week, that the receivers called a meeting with the staff and informed them that Ellicksons had ceased trading and that they would get only statatory redundancies in approximately 7 months time. At this stage, the staff had no income for 3 weeks running and no P45's to sign on.

These guys have families, bills and mortgages to pay for and have been treated with complete contempt by the management. According to the Irish Times, there are also allegations of financial misappropriation by the management, made by accounting firm Ernst & Young, who ceased to represent the company on these grounds.

It's a shame the local newspapers didn't highlight this story weeks ago.

I think this story was on the front page of the News & Star, what more do you want?
    Top story on their website too:
    http://www.waterford-news.com/news/news.asp

And it was reported by the other local newspapers and WLR.

I think this story was on the front page of the News & Star, what more do you want?
    Top story on their website too:
    http://www.waterford-news.com/news/news.asp

And it was reported by the other local newspapers and WLR.

I was talking about this week's News And Star that I bought yeaterday and the story was not on the front page.

It's a story that has affected people very close to me, so I apologise if you thought I was asking for too much there....just my opinion was all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I was looking through the News & Star at lunchtime, and on page 11 of their Well! pullout, there's some internet gossip.

Ziedth got a mention for this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71326375&postcount=8

and Seanybiker for this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71154127&postcount=14

I was talking about this week's News And Star that I bought yeaterday and the story was not on the front page.

It's a story that has affected people very close to me, so I apologise if you thought I was asking for too much there....just my opinion was all.
    Ah right that's fair enough.
    gscully wrote: »
    I was looking through the News & Star at lunchtime, and on page 11 of their Well! pullout, there's some internet gossip.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71326375&postcount=8

and Seanybiker for this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71154127&postcount=14
    LOL. What is it, just a column with random quotes from the internet? I think we might have a copy of that paper in work, must have a look. I'll scan it and upload it here if I can.

Ah right that's fair enough.

LOL. What is it, just a column with random quotes from the internet? I think we might have a copy of that paper in work, must have a look. I'll scan it and upload it here if I can.

It's in the middle, about 16 pages of social stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It's in the middle, about 16 pages of social stuff.

The internet is now classed as social? Success!!!!!

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71326375&postcount=8

and Seanybiker for this:
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71154127&postcount=14

God Damn I've finally made it :)

I'm free to write my own column every week, "News from Boards" I can see it now. I'll remember you all when I'm a new York times best seller.

Incidentally is that on this weeks News & Star? Think I still have it at home.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    God Damn I've finally made it :)

I'm free to write my own column every week, "News from Boards" I can see it now. I'll remember you all when I'm a new York times best seller.

Incidentally is that on this weeks News & Star? Think I still have it at home.

It's the edition that has the Damian Organ case on the front page if that helps.

You've only made the local rags - wait until you get a mention on 2FM, then then the money starts rolling in ;)

Advertisement