Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a use for a moisture meter? on the roof?

• 30-03-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

would it make sense to use my moisture meter to test for leaks under the torch on felt?

I have a large area ,both flat and at a slant) and , if I could catch any ingress underneath before it became a problem (before it worked its way into the attic) I would say that would be very worth knowing.

My plan (is it wise?) would be to inspect areas on the roof and , if any areas look at all suspect to poke the 2 prongs of the moisture meter through the torch on felt (not to measure the level ,necessarily -just to see if there is any positive reading at all) .

I wonder though how sensible it is?
    Obviously I would need to repair the punctures but I guess these would be so small as not to present a problem as even a small bit of heat or a dab of silicon or mastic would be easy and efficacious.
    If I was to inspect in the attic , that would be uncomfortable and some parts very hard to access -and ,as I said, there might be an incipient leak that would not be apparent at that stage...
    By the way I haven't had a problem as yet with my torch on felt but how long might it be expected to last until it does need a bit of maintenance?
    25 years ? more?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

If a roof leaks it can find its way under the felt and travel well away from the problem spot ,so you could get a moisture reading almost anywhere under the felt. If you get a trowel and see if the joints lift apart that's one way of checking the joints. I would not expect a flat roof to last any longer than 20 years and all the felt would have to be replaced ,the longer its left and the roof deck needs to be replaced as well . is there a pitch roof connected to the roof? if you want to post some photos i can point out problem areas to check.

Advertisement