Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "glasses-free" 3d TV on the way

• 30-03-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I don't give much credit to 3d tv. It was around in the 50's, it came back in the 80's, and now (right on queue) it's back in the 10's.
    And now we need a new tv to use it. Apparently televisions fom the 1980's were more technologically advanced than my HD lcd screen.:confused:

Anyway, I don't think 3d tv has legs, as I can't envisage people donning glasses to watch tv. What if you have friends around??

But nintendo has launched their new gadget. (i think it's the new model of their handheld gamer . . .3ds or something like that.
    It claims a 3d experience without glasses. I haven't seen it so can't verify this claim. If it's true it's very exciting. 3d without glasses certainly would have a place in the market.
    Anybody used this gizmo? Reviews please.

Trying to post my first Poll: (not working):( Would you be eager to buy a 3d tv??

Would you be eager to rush out and buy a 3d tv? 4 votes

yes -or- have one already
    0%
    no - wouldn't be bothered
    100%
    Doc_SavageakaSolLiamarioiseethelight 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Yeah it's on the way possibly. I agree with you that it won't last, most likely a fad though it may give a better experience than the previous methods of 3D.

There doens't seem to be much to the LCD TVs these days parts wise. The casing of them always looks so cheap and flimsey plastic. Compared to the yr old Cathode Ray Tube TVs that'd last years and years and had many parts and were solid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭seanie69r

afishyfish wrote: »
    I don't give much credit to 3d tv. It was around in the 50's, it came back in the 80's, and now (right on queue) it's back in the 10's.
    And now we need a new tv to use it. Apparently televisions fom the 1980's were more technologically advanced than my HD lcd screen.:confused:

Anyway, I don't think 3d tv has legs, as I can't envisage people donning glasses to watch tv. What if you have friends around??

But nintendo has launched their new gadget. (i think it's the new model of their handheld gamer . . .3ds or something like that.
    It claims a 3d experience without glasses. I haven't seen it so can't verify this claim. If it's true it's very exciting. 3d without glasses certainly would have a place in the market.
    Anybody used this gizmo? Reviews please.

Trying to post my first Poll: (not working):( Would you be eager to buy a 3d tv??

out in august in ireland apparantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Toshibia Regza 20GL-12G1
    A 20" television which offers 3D with out glasses ( 720P )

The 3D Television "fad" sounds like a similar argument about a new disk format.
    It was called bluray...

IF major movie's get produced in 3D , sports as well, there will be a significant swing into its distribution. Further to that 3D gaming will take a bigger president eg Black Ops . I feel that its not going to go away that quickly.

Sol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

The argument that 3D is a fad is not analogous to blu-ray.

People have been watching moving images for over 100 years now. Watching moving images (on a TV) for well over 50 and purchasing films to watch in their own home for about 30 years. Blu-Ray and DVD can thank VHS for laying the foundation for home entertainment theatre systems.

3D was tried in the 50s when TVs first came out and cinema numbers were declining. There were also experiments with new formats such as Cinerama, Vistavision, Cinemascope as well as failed gimmicks like Smell-O-Vision, all to try and entice people back to cinemas. TV neither killed the cinema or radio.

When VHS came out in the 70s/80s again gimmicks were used to try and lure folk back into cinemas so we had Jaws and other blockbusters (what were at the time a new novelty) in 3D. VHS and watching films in yr own home when you wanted didn't kill cinemas or TV stations.

The 3D fad in the 50s and then the 80s - when some films were released on VHS in 3D - eventually faded away.

Now it's the internet and people are prophesying that TV and cinema are dead with the spectre of streaming and downloading videos. Thus gleaming new 3D technologies have been rolled out. It is not the exact scenario as it was previously for sports and other TV programmes were never broadcast (to my knowledge) in 3D.

We have reached post-modernism and have become a parody of ourselves - that quip in Back to the Future 2 about Jaws in 3D is quite ironic now.

3D could stay around a lot longer this time especially since Avatar raked in a fortune at the box office. For many it still gives them headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

In my opinion 3d without glasses won't take off on TVs as they are shared devices in general I.e more than one user watching at the same time. Unless they sit side by side 3d without glasses will not work. Several people watching - Dec won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Sony recently revealed a prototype autosteroscopic tv at CES. The viewing angle is quite large. If people are judging glasses less 3D based on the 3DS, they are making a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

akaSol wrote: »
    Toshibia Regza 20GL-12G1
    A 20" television which offers 3D with out glasses ( 720P )

If that's true it's very exciting. I'd have to see it to believe it. I doubt they can achieve the sort of results that can be achieved with glassses.

I found this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a66ENGh16Q
    Not quite there, but a big step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Advertisement