Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The games that you wished never got cancelled

Options
  • 30-03-2011 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Over the years there have been a number of disappointing game cancellations. Some games, with seemly great potential, fell into development limbo and fizzled away. Just of the top of my head:

1) Jet Set Radio 2 (Dreamcast)

Originally planned for the Dreamcast not too long after the original was released. Things looked onimous once Sega announced JSRF for the XBox but we were still assured that this game was coming and would be a totally separate game to the XBox version. Like a number of games that had been planned for the DC at the end of its life (Daytona 3, House of the Dead 3 etc) it just disappeared without a trace.

http://uk.dreamcast.ign.com/articles/090/090855p1.html

2) Innocent Tears (Dreamcast)

Looked like an intriguing SRPG in a time where there was none available on the DC. I think development moved to the XBox but it never saw the light of day.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/dc/innocenttears/innocenttears.html

3) Agartha (Dreamcast)

Another intriguing title for the DC from the makers of Toy Commander. Looked like it had real promise.

http://uk.dreamcast.ign.com/objects/012/012489.html

4) True Fantasy Live (XBox)

A Phantasy Star Online type game although seemingly better.

http://uk.xbox.ign.com/objects/489/489459.html

5) Starcraft Ghost (Multiple)

Looked like a sci-fi type Splinter Cell. Was really looking forward to this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Ghost

Which games do you feel we would be better with?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Duke Nukem Forever.

I totally went there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

True Crime: Hong Kong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Shenmue 3.Im not sure if it was ever started to be cancelled , but the series was ment to be 3 parts but they stopped after the second!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    Shenmue 3.Im not sure if it was ever started to be cancelled , but the series was ment to be 3 parts but they stopped after the second!

There were actually meant to be 16 parts to Shenmue originally:

"The Shenmue series, was made up originally of at least 16 chapters.[10] However, During a Shenmue City press conference, Suzuki said that the Shenmue series will consist of 11 chapters.[11] The first Shenmue (1999) was a Dreamcast-only game, it covered the first chapter, while Shenmue II (2001) was released for both Dreamcast and Xbox, contains four chapters of the series. However, chapters included in Shenmue II are chapters 3 to 5. Chapter 2 is in neither game and only existed as part of a manga spinoff titled "Shenmue: Side Story""

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ultima IX: Ascension
    Real shame that game was cancelled and never came out.

Starfox 2
    Barrel rolled to oblivion. :(

That Indiana Jones game that was used to demo their new Euphoria-based tech

Psi-Ops Sequel
    Whether this was ever in actual development remains to be seen but it's a terrible shame it was cancelled in favour of Stranglehold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Aliens Colonial Marines :(

despite still showing up on release shedules i think it has finally been shelved thanks to the poor A v P reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I was looking forward to Disaster Report 4 (seriously).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

gizmo wrote: »

I second that. Its a pity it never came out *dares someone to question it*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Full Throttle 2, although the trailer looked so bad that it could be just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I know this isn't exactly the same and I liked resident evil 4, but I would've liked to play the original version that was scrapped a bit into development:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo_hMbJQeU4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

The Witcher on 360. Hell no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I know this isn't exactly the same and I liked resident evil 4, but I would've liked to play the original version that was scrapped a bit into development:

Never seen that before! Looks proper Resident Evil rather than the silly, contrived locations and enemies that appeared in 4&5 (loved both 4&5 anyway btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The Witcher on 360. Hell no

We may get the sequel.Remember there was going to be a Dirty Harry game on PS3/360 Pity that never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Ditto for Splinter Cell Conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Vyse wrote: »
    Ditto for Splinter Cell Conviction.

I think the original Conviction build is the direction that they are going to go eventually with Assassins Creed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Outcast 2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd have loved Garriet's original vision for Ultima IX: Ascension to have been made. I think that was the first example I can remember of a studio taking control over a developer and stunting cerativity for a profit. It was all downhill from there.

Obsidian were developing an Aliens RPG, which could have been cool. And Project Offset seemed like it was going to be fantastic, and then was cancelled (possibly only to piss me off :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

gizmo wrote: »

The nightmares never really go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

humanji wrote: »
    And Project Offset seemed like it was going to be fantastic, and then was cancelled (possibly only to piss me off :mad: )

Came back here to post that one. Looked very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mirrors Edge 2. I don't know if it's officially cancelled but it's not looking too good for a sequel I'd say.
    I liked the first one.

Condemned 3. The second one scared the balls off me but I don't think they're gonna do a sequel despite leaving a bit of a cliffhanger at the end of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dead Phoenix on the Gamecube. It was the only one of the Capcom big five exclusives (P.N.03, Killer7, Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe) that was cancelled and it looked awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Oh, how the **** did I forget this. Sam N Max 2

With regards Aliens Colonial Marines, I don't think that'll be cancelled. We'll probably hear more once Gearbox finish with Duke Nukem Forever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Black and White.

That series still has so much potential, such a shame they have no plans for a 3rd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Hogs Of War 2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Back in the days of the N64 after I had just acquired all but one Gold medal in Rogue Squadron,I was desperately seeking the next quality flight shooter fix. The co developers of the excellent pilotwings were working on a harrier game that even had hands on previews and was about 80% complete. The game sounded like quality. Two months from release it was canned. Never again did I feel so pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Frame city killer was ment to be on the 360 was really looking forward to it then got the bad news

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steambot Chronicles just got announced as cancelled yesterday. Loved the first game so this really saddens me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Dead Phoenix on the Gamecube. It was the only one of the Capcom big five exclusives (P.N.03, Killer7, Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe) that was cancelled and it looked awesome.

Wow that brought back memories.

First 2 games I thought of when I saw the thread title:

Advertisement