Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to soften paint brushes?

• 30-03-2011 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions?

Another problem is tea stains on mugs? can anyone suggest a good removal agent and do better quality mugs stain less?.

Thanks
    F

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

From an eco/green/embedded carbon perspective u need to consider if using such toxic chemicals to soften brushes is the right way to go: may be better to go water based.

For my oil based brushes I use Polyclens Brush cleaner which is a trade product and is reusable, u just let the crud settle and pour off the clear liquid.
    The brushes can then be washed in sugar soap and water

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

Freiheit wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Another problem is tea stains on mugs? can anyone suggest a good removal agent and do better quality mugs stain less?.

Thanks
    F

I use brillo or steel wool.
    I think a better quality mug would help.If the surface is smooth then the stain won't be so embedded.But my cups are ancient (pocelain) and I just brillo every so often. It is fiddly.

As for the paint brushes I use clingfilm if I am going to be using the brushes the following day and I am wondering about leaving them semi permanently thereafter in a jar with white spirit in the bottom but sealed with a lid at the top (so a tall jar) so that there is no evaporation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

My paintbrush cleaning methods (for natural bristle brushes):

Stage 1
    For hardened brushes use a proprietary brush restorer, immerse in the liquid, cover with cling and work the stuff into the brush. Once softened remove thick lumps and softened, congealed paint with an old toothbrush or small wire brush and proceed to stage 2!

Stage 2
    Remove excess paint/ brush cleaner from brush and work the bristles in a jar/ tin with some white spirit. Dry the brush off and use a solution of very hot water and washing powder to clean up the brushes. You may need to do this a number of times. When the brush is clean, dry off (and this is the secret) work a pea sized drop of regular hair conditioner (cheapest stuff you can find) into the bristles, shaping the brush as you do so. Wrap in newspaper and allow to dry naturally. The conditioner really restores the suppleness to the bristle and extends the life of a brush. I've been doing this with my many paint brushes for years and I haven't needed to buy a new one for a long time now.

If using an oil based product and finishing up work for the day, wrap the brush in cling and stick it in the freezer. Remove from the freezer when you next need it and it'll be good to go, allows you to postpone cleaning until you've finished the job. Works a treat and avoids leaving brushes in white spirit, losing their shape etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

To get stains from a Tea Mug.

Put some salt and a small drop of water in the cup and use your're hands to spread the salt around the stains and rub gently.

When the stains are gone give th emug a good rinse.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

If using an oil based product and finishing up work for the day, wrap the brush in cling and stick it in the freezer. Remove from the freezer when you next need it and it'll be good to go, allows you to postpone cleaning until you've finished the job. Works a treat and avoids leaving brushes in white spirit, losing their shape etc.
    I like that.But I think some people could be sniffy about finding paint brushes in the freezer.You could give it its own little sealed container as well that would keep it completely separate from food items and look inconspicuous.
    I will have to try the conditioner trick as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Oil brushes clean out in white spirit but down leave them in it,either leave in water if using again soon just enough to cover bristles or buy a brushmate box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

To get stains from a Tea Mug.

Put some salt and a small drop of water in the cup and use your're hands to spread the salt around the stains and rub gently.

When the stains are gone give th emug a good rinse.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Freiheit wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Buy some new ones - if you get them at a painter/decorating trade centre they'll be as cheap as chips

Thanks
    F

+1 on the salt. Make a paste of it with water and rub the stain off using your fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

The quickest and most labour saving way to get rid of teastains in cups is to put a cap full of bleach in the cup, fill with water, (while your at if stick your tea spoons in the cups as well), leave for about half and hour and rinse very well. Wait until you see them shine!!!

If you have a few cups to do put a cupful of bleach in the sink fill with water and put all your cups in and any kitchen utensilsthat you have that are stainless steel, even scruffy old stainless steel teapots. Leave them soak and then give them a good wash and rinse. Even your kitchen sink will end up shinning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I keep a large coffee jar for my brushes, half filled with paint thinners. The thinners won't evaporate when the lid is on and brushes always remain soft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement