Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone on meteor network, Data keeps turning itself on!

Options
  • 30-03-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G on Meteor, pay as you go. Software version 3.

My iPhone uses data completely of its own accord, even though I continually turn it off.

This is a long-term problem, going on over a year now. I use a different phone most of the time as there's no point in my putting credit into my iPhone because it eats it on me without me having to do anything at all!

I contacted meteor about this in the past but they didn't understand the problem and couldn't provide any help.

I never use the cellular data on the iPhone as I have WiFi when I need to check e-mail. But the cellular data keeps turning itself on.

Fetch new data/Push is turned off.

I go to bed with data turned off, 3G off, Edge off. The phone is not powered off. I wake up in the morning and somehow data has turned itself on. I have no idea what has prompted this to happen.

I removed the cellular data APN, username and password over a year ago. I had them initially left blank, but the problem continued to happen.

More recently I have put false information in, and yesterday was my first time putting credit into the iPhone in a long time, and so this is the first test the phone got with the false username/password, and the issue has occurred again.

I topped up with credit at 8.30 a.m. yesterday morning, March 29th. I checked my online meteor account this morning and this is what I see:

5573419421_e32cb2cc48_b.jpg

Money yet again spent even though I have not accessed the internet and I have done everything in my power to turn data off. Am I missing something stupid here?

Here are my settings as of yesterday:

5574007330_78724b9308_o.jpg

5574007252_36c81257e4_o.jpg

Cellular data info entered incorrectly, deliberately.

5573419571_1a5e89df6e_o.jpg

I check my iPhone this morning to see that data has once again turned itself on overnight; this happens every day.

If I power the phone off overnight, the next morning 3G, Edge and Data will also be automatically turned on, in the jailbreak view. I don't turn the phone off too often, but the Data will still be enabled without powering off.

5574051060_da23bbc3db_o.jpg

Is there any chance that Cydia is running something in the background that is causing this?

I'm ready to just give up altogether on the iPhone and stick to my nice old Nokia brick that only charges me to make calls and send texts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

your data roaming is off but is your cellular data defo off, that seems strange click on cellular data and make sure its off

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Well this is my Cellular Data window:

5573419571_1a5e89df6e_o.jpg

I don't see how it can connect when it has incorrect information, yet somehow it manages to.

try clearing that completly. i have iphone 4 and when i click on cellular data i can just click off/on

I've had that clear for over a year, all of the boxes left blank, and it continued to use data.

This is my first test using false information in those boxes and it has also used data.

It seems it's impossible to stop my iPhone using data if there is credit in the phone.

that is so strange im baffled! no help to you :(

• Advertisement

Me too!

Thanks for trying anyway.

Maybe this is just an underlying issue with a Jailbroken iPhone 3G..

maybe mines not jailbroken

Anyone at all?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Only thing I could think of is to reset network settings and put the ones you need in again.......that or call Ghostbusters....:eek::D

I'll give the reset a go! I'm willing to try anything at this stage.

I should add one other piece of info.

The phone is constantly communicating. It sits on my desk at work during the day and you can constantly hear it in my computer speakers, communicating with the network, even though it has no reason to. That literally goes on all of the time and the only way to solve it is to turn off the speakers! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Any luck?

Nope, no luck I'm afraid.

Just letting the credit run out this time and returning to my good old reliable Nokia for good.

Thanks anyway :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

R0C wrote: »
    Nope, no luck I'm afraid.

Just letting the credit run out this time and returning to my good old reliable Nokia for good.

Thanks anyway :)

A pity that. Its a really weird one.

Delete the mms settings or did u try that?

I didn't try that but the MMS has never worked on my phone anyway, I've never yet successfully received an MMS.

Delete the mms part I bet that'l solve it for u! The time I'd one thing one in the mms part my data wouldn't connect! :) I hope Iv it solved for u

Did it work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brianhickey

Bizarre! You could always get Meteor to turn off your Internet on their side.

So far, so good!

It hasn't been consuming data in the past couple of days and the battery life is now amazing; it was constantly being drained before.

I've put false details into the MMS and Data settings. It seems the MMS settings have made the difference, thanks talkin.

I'll monitor for a few days before celebrating too much but it seems to have worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Personally I'd say its to do with the jailbreak. I'm on Meteor and I've never had that problem. Even with Data on it doesn't do anything like you've described. The jailbreak might be routing around the actual iPhone settings.

• Advertisement

Ah brilliant I'm so happy it's sorted for u!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jpgeek

Thanks for the post and discovery. I too have been having my iPhone flip into 3G by the phone gremlins. I have disabled MMS and hope this stops the bad behavior. :confused:

Advertisement