Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and children's Camp needs land to rent URGENT.

Options
  • 30-03-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭

I am part of a group that has been organising an annual camping holiday for over two decades for women and children. The camp is always held in July to allow women, and especially children, to escape from the Marching season in the North.

The aim of the camp is to provide an affordable safe haven for women and children from across Ireland, but particularly from the North, where the children can enjoy the countryside and experience the joys of a open space and welly boot wearing!

This year it is Cork's turn to hold the camp (last year it was Westmeath, year before Mayo) so we are urgently looking to rent about 15 acres for the month of July in Cork or the counties bordering it.

We require fairly flat well drained land with good access and space for parking but NOT road frontage. As we have toddlers attending the site needs to be well enclosed for safety reasons - also, sadly, this rules out areas with direct water frontage such as rivers and lakes.

For health reasons cattle must not have been grazing in the field for at least 6 weeks prior to the camp.

We will also need potable water pumped to the site.

We are very self sufficient and will take care of all set up and guarentee to leave the field pristine when we leave. We usually hire organic land so are experienced in taking great care to ensure there is no possibility of chemical residue - all washing products etc are certified organic.

We have our own insurance in place.

If anyone has land to rent, or knows of anywhere, in Cork or its border regions could they please contact me on:

Bannasidhe@hotmail.com

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why urgent?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

dahamsta wrote: »
    Why urgent?

Because the camp is this July so arrangements need to be made to transfer insurance to cover the site, move the equipment and allow people lucky enough to be employed to arrange holiday leave.

We will also be looking to arrange locally for food to be purchased in bulk - especially fruit, veg etc and need to sort out suppliers a.s.a.p.

I was just wondering why the urgency if it's an annual thing. It's not as if it sprung up on ye...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

dahamsta wrote: »
    I was just wondering why the urgency if it's an annual thing. It's not as if it sprung up on ye...

Because it moves from county to county - although if the site is very good we may use it two years in a row - it has been held in Westmeath, Mayo, Meath, Galway, Clare and Kerry in recent years.

Its a great way for people to see different parts of the country plus a fair few bob is injected into local communities, if only via the purchase of cooked breakfasts.:D

The hard part is finding a suitable site, once this is done all the other arrangements can be put in place. Hence the urgency.

If you'd done it a couple months ago it wouldn't be urgent though, would it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

Dont know if it might be any good but maybe if you contacted the IFA (irish farmers association); they might have some leads for you.

DAFT and other commercial property letting sites would strike me as a pretty obvious place to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

you could try contacting the Irish Girl Guides or Scouting groups. They mite be able to recommend an area that they use for camping

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

Shellygoose reminded me that I saw an article during the week on the newspaper about the following site that might be suitable ( it says it can cater for 600 campers.)
    http://www.kilcullycampsite.com/camping

Advertisement