Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Gamer

• 30-03-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Anyone buy this magazine? looks like a good one this month, big article about the N64 in it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Aw, I thought this a b1tching thread about Retr0gamer :(

To kill two birds with one stone, Retr0gamer advocates that you can't really judge a game unti you play it...yet religiously reads game review magazines! Ironic :D

Awaits the dino, human centipede, virtual boy & my little pony comments...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Hygro wrote: »
    Anyone buy this magazine? looks like a good one this month, big article about the N64 in it.
    Not a bad one alright, they've ran out of mainstream machines to highlight each month , so the new feature is "how to start collecting" which is what the n64 one is about.Theres a list of "every" Pal n64 release in order of rarity (I say every as I'm sure someone will pipe in with a few "limited run , only available in Angola when you sent in 30 rice krispie boxes version of clay fighters 3 1/2" or something that they missed!)

I've pretty much every issue (bar the first and i think one of the 50's)
    Keep meaning to stick the lot on adverts.
    i reckon it improved a hell of a lot in the past year or so , when they realised that some retro gamers out there dont really give two sh!tes about the spectrum series.Seriously they were just short of renaming the mag "Crash" a while back:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

EnterNow wrote: »

To kill two birds with one stone, Retr0gamer advocates that you can't really judge a game unti you play it...yet religiously reads game review magazines! Ironic :D

LOL

Really cant wait for Saturday night going to be fun:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty much think retrogamer magazine is far and away the best magazine available at the moment and buy it religiously. The articles are fantastic and it's great for digging up obscurities.
    EnterNow wrote: »

I trust the views of retrogamer magazine since they have played the games :P Pity I can't get a CDi for saturday :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    since they have played the games :P Pity I can't get a CDi for saturday :)

Null & void, using your rules if you havn't played it you can't comment :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pity I can't get a CDi for saturday :)

Pity you don't have a Nes/Famicom either, but not to worry, not owning the hardware has never stopped you having the definitive say on any gaming topic before! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Pity you don't have a Nes/Famicom either, but not to worry, not owning the hardware has never stopped you having the definitive say on any gaming topic before! ;)

No worries on the nes
    Im bringing every nes game ever made with me on saturday

along with lots more :D

LOL :D

Queue a Halo argument...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not owning the console doesn't mean I haven't played them.

.... can't help it. Anyway I'm not going to take recommendations from a Halo fan. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Halo Fan!
    Where?
    I always wanted to meet another Halo fan here!
    Where is he?....

Oh, wait, you meant me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I get that Retro Gamer mag on my iPad. Really handy as I never miss an issue even if I'm away with work. I do buy the physical mags as well but they are hard to find and I already have a yearly digital subscription.

They only do issue 62 onwards in the app(the current N64 issue is 87) but I have the rest of them in pdf form so can read them that way. Some of the older issues are great.

You can loan a copy of your digital mag to someone else as well in the app, which is fairly nice if you have any mates who have the same app.

It costs €3.99 an issue in the app or €17.99 for 6 month subscription and €33.99 for the year.

I was flying to Prague a few months ago and was sitting on the plane in Dublin waiting to take off, got a push notification on my iPad that a new retro gamer issue was out. Grabbed the issue before take off and had something nice and new to read on the flight. That in itself justified having the iPad to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »
    I get that Retro Gamer mag on my iPad.

I bought the app and latest issue a couple of weeks ago. Have to say I love reading the mag on my iPad. It takes a bit of getting used to as we're all so familiar with a physical magazine that the change can be a little overwhelming. That said I embraced reading on my Kindle 2 straight away and haven't really looked back. I think it will be the same for magazines for me.

Not only does it save on paper and clutter at home, but the price and not missing an issue are the big victory factors for me. I'll definitely be subscribing now at €33 (approx) per year.

The only thing I don't like about digital magazines is you miss out on freebies. That said, most covermount discs are full of demo's you could grab online (i.e. XBOX Live) anyway. Perhaps digital subscribers could be compensated with access to downloadable content online? Or in the case of XBOX magazines for example, a code to redeem online to download, say, avatar items, demos and picture packs/themes etc?

I think for me I'll only be buying limited edition books and magazines, items of that nature that you'd want to keep for some time. The future of the printed word is most definitely digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    The future of the printed word is most definitely digital.

I'd agree with you if not for two things - reading in the bath and reading on the beach. You could chance it with your ipad or kindle..but probably not the best idea!

Steve SI wrote: »
    I was flying to Prague a few months ago and was sitting on the plane in Dublin waiting to take off, got a push notification on my iPad that a new retro gamer issue was out. Grabbed the issue before take off and had something nice and new to read on the flight. That in itself justified having the iPad to me.

Actually, referring to this particular point, I wish I had my iPad then. I bought a refurb iPad 1 from the Apple store a couple of weeks ago for a bargain price when the iPad 2 launched as it happens.

Reason being I was heading out to Dubai on business and had a layover in Paris. My plane was delayed around 7 hours and all the shops in Charles de Gaulle seem to close from around 2pm to 7:30pm so I had nothing to read (my Kindle was dead and I had no plug adaptor). When the shops eventually opened as my flight was ready to board, I ran in to a newsagent to buy something to read and the selection of English language titles was diabolical.

I ended up paying €10.50 for a copy of the previous month's Top Gear magazine. Which was a waste of money as I fell asleep on the plane as soon as I got on it!

Wish I had an iPad and some digital magazines at the time. :o

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd agree with you if not for two things - reading in the bath and reading on the beach. You could chance it with your ipad or kindle..but probably not the best idea!

I've taken my Kindle to the beach lots and it's lasted all day there with no bother.

I'd rather chance that than the iPad every time as the build quality is fantastic. The real 'Mega Black Label Edition' bonus points (see what I did there? :D) for the Kindle though kick in with a) battery life and b) the display which is great even in strong sunlight. Just a shame you can't read a mag properly on it and the web browser is super lousy. Still, it has free 3G and the rudimentary browser is enough to keep your fingers firmly wedged in the pies of your daily, connected world. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Another great thing about the Kindle is that the 3G data connection seems to bypass most firewalls in places like China who like to block access to everything outside the country.

Advertisement