Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union election leaflets in theaters

Options
  • 30-03-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else getting annoyed with the sheer volume of leaflets being dumped in lecture theaters in the run up to the student union elections? Don't get me wrong I know they need to canvass but surely there's a threshold that has been well and truely crossed.

Is there anywhere I can go to complain about this? (And please don't say the SU.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting annoyed with the sheer volume of leaflets being dumped in lecture theaters in the run up to the student union elections? Don't get me wrong I know they need to canvass but surely there's a threshold that has been well and truely crossed.

Is there anywhere I can go to complain about this? (And please don't say the SU.)

Returning office?

Not that there's much of a point, sabbat elections are over tomorrow. Exec elections aren't as bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

They've been littering UCD since I was in first year in 2004 and probably since the SU began. Somebody should stop such pointless waste. How many are either totally ignored or just used for graffiti?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

They've been littering UCD since I was in first year in 2004 and probably since the SU began. Somebody should stop such pointless waste. How many are either totally ignored or just used for graffiti?
    It would be much better if there was a rule saying they can only put up one poster of medium size on a specially designated board listing their policies in brief with information on where to get their manifesto if you want more details.

Although Fad's right there's not much point saying anything now but it would be nice for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rambo87

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It would be much better if there was a rule saying they can only put up one poster of medium size on a specially designated board listing their policies in brief with information on where to get their manifesto if you want more details.

Although Fad's right there's not much point saying anything now but it would be nice for next year.

Good idea there. Might make students MORE inquisitive about the elections and actually be pro-active in the union. worth a look... motion at council maybe?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There's signs outside most of the lecture theatres saying "Flyers not permitted" but for all the good they do....

Can't help but be distracted by them either... spending about 20 minutes of the Macroeconomics lecture this morning doing Lannoye's Sudoku was not the most productive use of my time :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

There's signs outside most of the lecture theatres saying "Flyers not permitted" but for all the good they do....

Can't help but be distracted by them either... spending about 20 minutes of the Macroeconomics lecture this morning doing Lannoye's Sudoku was not the most productive use of my time :o

Is it not Lacey's sudoku? Lannoye had a crappy crossword on his.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Who actually pays for all these posters and fliers? because they are not cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

Timmaay wrote: »
    Who actually pays for all these posters and fliers? because they are not cheap!

The candidates have to put up €480 at the start, from what I've heard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

bigred100 wrote: »
    Is it not Lacey's sudoku? Lannoye had a crappy crossword on his.

I'm pretty sure it was Lannoye's. He had a few puzzles, one of them was a sudoku with one square highlighted - you had to figure out the number that went into the square. It wasn't hard, as you can immediately narrow it down to 2,3 or 4, and then just work out some of the sudoku to get the number. I can't remember which it worked out to be, but it said to post solutions on the facebook page (I didn't!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lacey has soduku on 1/4 of his flyers, Lannoye has the same and a crossword on another 1/4.

Ehm candidates put up 580, however most of that they get back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I think it's an absolute nuisance. All such manifestos should be banned from lecture theaters. They should just hand them out to people in hallways, etc.. instead.

Although I did like playing the Sudoku leaflets that Lacey and Lannoye had around some halls, even though these potential sabbats weren't really setting a good example by encouraging students to play games during lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Imagine how many trees they have killed.

It is just another demonstration of how far removed they are from the mindset of the vast majority of students. Very few people care about the leaflets, other than to see them as a nuisance factor.

It seems to be the done thing, faceless people canvass in the same way every year. Posters everywhere that are mainly ignored and/or made fun of. Then you need to gut the rainforests to produce leaflets by the lorry load. Leaflets that are used for paper airplanes, graffiti or just ignored/binned. They promise the sun, moon and stars. 99% of what they promise cannot be delivered. Some of them get in and they do the much the same as everybody else ever has as they can't deliver anything they said they were going to do in their completely unrealistic manifesto. The only time you ever hear much about them again is if they make an almighty balls up of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

We have the interweb these days why can't they have a poster in each building and their manifestoes online or just email them to all students?

The only time you ever hear much about them again is if they make an almighty balls up of something.

Ironic I posted that earlier today given the news about the UCD ball :pac:

Advertisement