Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance claim question.

Options
  • 30-03-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone may be able to offer some advise on this issue. My family were due to fly to England on the 23rd of December last year. The flight was cancelled due to the snow. Ryanair refunded the ticket price which was fine but we lost the money on the hotel. My travel insurance entitled me to claim for any lost money on accomadation due to a cancelled flight.

The issue is the insurance company 123.ie (OSG) are argueing that we could have flown out the next day. However after waiting two hours to get our bags back, the Ryanair desk had no staff also our flight hadn't been updated as cancelled on their website so we couldn't rebook.

We are disputing the claim that we could have got onto the flight the next day. Does anybody know to what extent an insurance company can argue we could have made alternative arrangements and how would I even go about proving we couldn't. I mean technically they could argue that we could have paddled to England and not lost the hotel reservation. :o

Any advise is appreciated.
    Dakan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

Depends on the cover you have taken with them. Their basic insurance only pays out for accidents and medical stuff etc but not anything travel related. Their silver and gold covers pay for travel delays, cancellations, missed departures etc. It should be in your policy documents detailing what is covered under your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

This is covered by the policy and I have initiated the claim. They are not questioning whether or not I have coverage. The issue is about whether or not I could have got a flight the next day (xmas eve).

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

only you can answer that. I don't know if you could or not. Is is possible to ask Ryan air if there was availability on flights on Christmas Eve? If they say no, then you would appear to have a stronger case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis

You could get a Loss Assessor. Www.proinsuranceclaims.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

How long was the planned duration of the original trip? Also, do you know if other airlines had availability (with it being so close to xmas potentially not)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement