Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBA vs PhD - Differences

Options
  • 30-03-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

hope so one can help on this.....what is the difference between Doctor in Business Administration and doing a PhD in your chosen business field? The link below indicates that there is no difference between a PhD in Business Administration and a DBA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Business_Administration

I think the DBA is more prevalent in the UK than in Ireland, I don't know of any college that provides it here bar UCC which focuses on economics, which is not where my interests lie.

If anyone has been down this route would be glad of their experience....BTW I am in the private sector.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rosen

In countries other than Ireland, DBA is usually the one executives plumb for and is usually done part-time. PhD is more academic and usually full-time. Ireland's universities seems to only focus on PhD's but most require an MA, MLitt, MSc etc first. With a DBA, you don't need an MBA first, it can be done with an undergrad and experience as far as I know. Clear as mud!

Im curious why you mentioned you were in the private sector? What's the relevance? So we know you are not unclean? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The DBA is a professional/practitioners degree a step above the MBA, whereas the PhD is more of a scholarly, theoretical/research degree. Most universities prefer their faculty to have PhDs.

Advertisement