Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding Donkeys

• 30-03-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Hey, just a quick question: do donkey's eat rushes?

The reason I ask is because we have a field and garden and a few other patches in bad need of being cleaned up and we aren't happy about spraying them. Since there are thistles, we thought about getting a donkey but if they don't eat rushes aswell, there's no point.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

sup_dude wrote: »
    Hey, just a quick question: do donkey's eat rushes?

The reason I ask is because we have a field and garden and a few other patches in bad need of being cleaned up and we aren't happy about spraying them. Since there are thistles, we thought about getting a donkey but if they don't eat rushes aswell, there's no point.

Thanks in advance :)

I would say its unlikely they will especially if they are well established tough rushes, wouldn't bank on them eating the thistles either if there's a bit of grass around to be had instead. Is there anyway you could get them cut and then some livestock or other might do a job of keeping down the fresh regrowth (which they would be more likely to eat). if you do in the end decide to go down the spraying route I'd recommend cutting them 1st allowing the regrowth to just start and then spraying the new shoots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

heavy duty strimmer :)

or even a good old fashioned scythe (cloak optional) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Have you concidered goats? them feckers will eat anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I wouldn't bother getting the donkey just to eat the rushes . . .

I kinda doubt they'd eat them cos there are loads behind my house and the cows there never eat them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

@betsie; Donkey's love thistle, I know that for sure I just wasn't sure about the rushes. The reason we aren't spraying is because the we are looking to use the patch for organic planting at some stage and we aren't happy to spray it with anything. There are also young children around, who wouldn't know not to go near the rushes once they are sprayed.

@Cookie Monster; I'm afraid we don't have the time to be strimming, let alone using a scythe :p

@homerhop; would love to get a goat, except because I work with horses myself, I would know more about donkey care than goat care :) I just don't know if they eat rushes.

@SophieSakura; Cows, horses and sheep don't eat rushes. That I know for sure but because donkey's are designed to eat weeds and live in deserts, I thought they might :)

Thanks though guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

maybe try over on the farming and forestry section for some advice on getting rid of them in an organically friendly way, lots of very knowledgeable people over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Could you sell the rushes to someone, or give them free on the basis they remove them for you, is there a large enough amount to make it viable, thatchers etc must be able to use them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Sup Dude; Just to clarify, once and for all .....

I have a real, live Donkey here. Had him for years. He's perfectly useless for a rush remover :(

Not saying he never tastes a bit of rush. But, he's got to be pretty desperate to. It'd be the day I open more grazing to him because he's lawn mowed what he's on.

Can't go round leaving donkeys hungry enough to try and force them to eat rushes ~ which, obviously, no one's really going to try.

Goats? Not great rush eaters either. Much the same as donkeys. I have read of a study which showed that Lots of goats, crammed in on rushes and left no real choice, will clear rushes in a year or two.

They'll destroy ye hedges and plague ye neighbours when they escape though. In fact, on balance? I'd suggest goats are far worse than just a load of rushes. Rushes are a PITA. With goats? Nervous Breakdown comes as standard :mad:

Sorry I can't offer any magic bullet remedies. But, no. A donkey isn't the answer to ye problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You might have to make time for a bit of strimming, but you can probably use the rushes for animal bedding afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

Would Rushes not indicate wet land and you cannot keep donkeys on wet land. Donkeys hooves and coats cannot tolerate wet conditions and you need to have a large shed for them as well.

You could always contact the donkey sanctuary in Cork and they would advise you - but it might not be what you want to hear though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ok guys thanks. It's just so I know for sure :)

I'm afraid Shegull, that all land around here is full of rushes unless removed every year. We just don't have time to continuously strim the land and we don't want to spray it, like everyone else does.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

:):):)

Advertisement