Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vsts and licensing on a new computer.

Options
  • 30-03-2011 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Okay, I guess this is a follow up to my previous "mini" mac question - if yiz' don't mind. :)

So I should have my new Apple mac here by next week -Yaaay! :). I'm currently trying to gather all my previous VSTs in order. Originally, I had bought their licenses for a PC (most of them came with an apple mac installer too). However, as I'm now going to be working on my mac exclusively for music production. I kinda' need to know what the story with vsts and their licenses on a new computer? Is it cool to just transfer them over?

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks in advance,

Robert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

In my experience, best thing to do is mail the companies explaining the situation. They've always been more than helpful in my experience of changing licenses between computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

depends on the software, ableton live give you 2 unlocks outta the box with the one code, and are pretty cool to hand out more if you need to, best to do is check the manufacturers website and email em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Cool guys - Will do thanks for the advice! :)

Well, I've been emailing the manufacturers as you said guys and so far, everyone, that I've heard back from, is totally cool with it. :)

With one exception... Ohmforce. They want me to buy an "upgrade" to my license (which is not that expensive in honesty). But in my opinion is a wee bit cheeky as I originally payed for the "VST" version of their license, and I don't think the format should matter. So just on the principal of it I wont give them the dosh and wont be using their stuff on my Mac. Not to worry tho', as if I'm being totally honest, I don't use their stuff as much as some of my other VSTs anyway. :)

But so far people seem, only to delighted, that I'm bothering to ask and have been very positive. :)

Thanks for the advice again guys!

Rob.

no problem man,

wow ya ohmforce seem to be a bit unfare there in my most honest opinion too, and i totally support you it not using their products now, shame they are treating you like that, do send their customer support an email and let them know why you are no longer using their stuff.

but ya most companies are very friendly, again if you ever have to deal with ableton, sound blokes they are

• Advertisement

Hey man,

Well, still had no joy form Ohmforce - apparently it's all in the "fine print", and they reckon their stuff is cheap enough. But I did send them a pretty stinging email (as you suggested) saying that I would refuse to, buy, use, upgrade or endorse any of their products in the future. I'm sure they are not too bothered, but it made me feel good anyway. :)

I'd have no problem whatsoever with "upgrading" my license, if I was using a different format like RTAS, etc. Which the initial licence didn't cover - fair enough. But I'm a lil' put out after being penalized for buying a new computer. :( Especially, when EVERY OTHER company have been totally cool with it.

Ah, well...No worries. Just can't wait for my new compu to arrive, and all the goodies Logic has!! :)

Thanks again!

Rob.

jesus that is stupid, ya if they aint gonna budge, F em, but shocked, i mean every other company has 1 price for vst/au and another for rtas, very weird for a company to only sell you an au or vst and not allow the other, hel i use macs and pc's

ya logic has some nice goodies

enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

It's not stupid. and it's not in the 'fine print'

it's made ABUNDANTLY clear at the point of purchase that you can either choose a license for one platform [windows or mac] or all formats [pack license]

This is to keep things a bit cheaper, if you're certain you need only use the plugs on one format. The 'upgrade' price they are offering you is the exact difference in price between single license/pack license. You are no worse off now than if you bought a pack license to begin with.

if you want to slate them because 'every' (false) other developer sells multi-platform license, well maybe you should consider that they offer 50% edu discounts which aren't as common as you'd imagine. They offer EXCELLENT upgrade paths from single licenses to bundles, again not as common as you'd imagine. And up until recently they even allowed people to purchase in INSTALLMENTS :eek: ...now that's rare. I'm not sure if they still do that or not though.

The support are fair & sound, and have been very helpful & flexible in my experience.

and lastly...the plugins are stellar. Timeless classics in the VST realm.

so quit your moaning, like a good boy.

actually it is stupid, format shouldnt matter, and every other company offers edu least all ove dealt with, ableton, maxmsp, logic, and loads others.
    almost all offer great upgrade discounts too, just got an email for 30% off from ableton, my point is to make you fork out more money when youve changed your os is silly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Is there not sort of shell that you can run Vst in Macs?

• Advertisement

so quit your moaning, like a good boy.

Nope. :D
    Neurojazz wrote: »
    Is there not sort of shell that you can run Vst in Macs?

Aye, there might be a way mate - I might have a look into it at some point. Right, now I'm just having a blast with what logic has to offer. Wow, it really has some quality FX and plugins.

Ohma-who? :D;)

Advertisement