Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden or metal garden shed ?

Options
  • 30-03-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

What advantages does wooden shed have over metal garden or vive versa , please

Do metal ones require less maintenance, are they more sturdy etc

http://www.waltons.co.uk/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always go for wooden myself because my shed is close to the house and I'd imagine the metal ones would be very noisy in the rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Buy a plastic shed.

I did.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

I have a metal shed thats fairly close to the house and I have to say I haven't noticed it being noisy in the rain (if I'm in their when in rains it can be). I have the shed about 6 years & no maintenance other than a quick wash down with a bucket of water; in comparision to the wooden fences which I have to paint every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

paddy147 wrote: »
    Buy a plastic shed.

I did.:)

Jeez P do you photograph everything:D but I agree plastic has advantages no maintenance and can be moved any place when empty.
    Goodne wrote: »
    I have a metal shed thats fairly close to the house and I have to say I haven't noticed it being noisy in the rain (if I'm in their when in rains it can be). I have the shed about 6 years & no maintenance other than a quick wash down with a bucket of water; in comparision to the wooden fences which I have to paint every year.

+1 low/no maintenance on metal v's wood.

Most metal sheds are pretty well constructed but see one before you buy have a poke and a pull at it to make sure its well made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ianmurphy

Wooden looks better but you have the hassle of painting it every 3-4 years. the other would like like an eye sore in the garden.

• Advertisement

Antiquo wrote: »
    Jeez P do you photograph everything:D .

Eh,YES.:D

Antiquo wrote: »
    but I agree plastic has advantages no maintenance and can be moved any place when empty.

Exactly why I bought,easy to put up,easy to move around and very easy to take apart and move too.:)

8 x 6 feet size with 3 internal shelving units included with the shed.Double front doors with 2 perspex windows each side.Apex roof design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Plastic: cheap, light, easy to move, poor strength, poor security, low maintenance, low aesthetics.

Wooden: mid price, strong, reasonable security, hard wearing, medium maintenance, good flexible aesthetics (can be painted) to suit preferred scheme.

Metal: more expensive, harsh looking, strong, very hard wearing, very good security, low maintenance, intrusive noise (rain), poor aesthetics due to industrial look.

Or build a block garage or shed and then grow climbers on it.

I did that too.:)

Advertisement