Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the heroin addicts get to hang around the docks area? it is bad for the city.

Options
  • 30-03-2011 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

If you ask me there should be an alternative to what is happening. Imagine tourists visiting the city and seeing these addicts gathering.

I was in New York before and didn't even see as many addicts in one place. In total I saw an obvious 3 addicts while taking a bus tour through Brooklyn. Move these addicts somewhere else and it would brighten up the image. Plus no-one can pass by that area without fear of being robbed or even stabbed for no good season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok guys.

This has been done to death, but we'll let it go.

Regardless what my own personal opinion of them is, 'addicts' are not to be referred to as 'scumbags, junkies, dirtbags etc etc' - if you think your post might be reported - DON'T POST - I'm simply not in the mood for moderating this crap again and the new search engine is making me angry!.

Addicts - don't ya just love 'em :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Move these addicts somewhere else and it would brighten up the image.

And where to you suggest we move them to? Ireland's Eye; Achill; Donnybrook; Mount Merrion; Your House?

how about complaining about the lack of rehabilitation centres or something constructive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Better to see them on the docks during the day than robbing your house.

I visited Dublin recently and in fairness Its no worse or better than Cork in terms of junkies, I went on the boardwalk and didnt see one junkie, In all I only saw a small handful of junkies the whole day, You would see more of them in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭ebbsy

When I was in France, Germany or Italy I did'nt see any of this carry on, as there you get a drubbing from the police if you do.

Its not a social issue, its a justice issue.

My own opinion is that it looks very bad whether you are a tourist or not.

i was thinking rather then moaning on the inter'web why dont volunteer with a drug rehab charity or a homeless charity ?

If something is bothering you, i always find it is better to find a solution rather then moaning and waiting for other people to fix it.

The longest journey is begins with the first step

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

irishbird wrote: »
    And where to you suggest we move them to? Ireland's Eye; Achill; Donnybrook; Mount Merrion; Your House?

how about complaining about the lack of rehabilitation centres or something constructive

How noble of you.

I agree OP, these areas should be properly policed and if it means having patrolls along the boardwalk evey hour, then so be it.

The "addicts" get the run of the city centre, and it's a shameless disgrace. They literally don't give a fu*k, and no one says boo to them.

There are plenty of rehabilitation centres and homeless shelters, but you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, and I'm not surprised they don't look for help they've the run of the city, can be openly strung out staggering along the street no problem, can sit and beg wherever they want and then have a custom built board walk to shoot up on with a nice liffey vibe.

Addicts should be moved along to shelters and pushed off the main streets. If they don't want to go to one of the many homeless shelters or drug facilities in the city, then they should be pushed into the backalley so we don't all have to suffer for their decisions.

I've never seen such a dirty druggy city as Dublin, and I've been all over the united states, canada and the uk, and much of western europe, and I've honestly never ever seen anything like it....

Imagine "addicts" strung out on 5th Avenue and begging....just wouldn't happen...now take a stroll up O'Connell street...

We can all be very sympathetic and softly softly and PC about it, but facilities are there, and people who choose to get involved in drugs and crime to feed the habbit and flake all over the main streets of dublin, filthy begging and being abusive and intimidating people. Sorry, but get help or get off my street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

Create an area for them to stay in. Some sort of centre for them to go to. To do recreational stuff to fill their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

All you have to do is look at the the boardwalk along the Liffey. They spent over £1million at the time to create it and it's now a no-go area due to all the down and outs and heroin addicts that are given free reign of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

ebbsy wrote: »
    When I was in France, Germany or Italy I did'nt see any of this carry on, as there you get a drubbing from the police if you do.

Its not a social issue, its a justice issue.

My own opinion is that it looks very bad whether you are a tourist or not.

Obviously you didn't head to naples

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Nobody could seriously say that they're being allowed live there.

We need better policing, a place to put these people (that is rehabilitating) and after-care and education programmes.

I'm sure 90% of these people don't want to be heroin addicts themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Decentralise addiction treatment services away from the city centre,improve rehabilitation services and increase education for at risk kids to keep them away from trying heroin.

The boardwalk isnt a no go zone,thats sensationalistic evening herald journalism,I've eaten my lunch there frequently enough over the last few weeks and I haven't had one problem.

Create an area for them to stay in. Some sort of centre for them to go to. To do recreational stuff to fill their time.

Oh, i get you you now - concentration camps all the way so

All you have to do is look at the the boardwalk along the Liffey. They spent over £1million at the time to create it and it's now a no-go area due to all the down and outs and heroin addicts that are given free reign of it.

i am really sorry but since when has the boardwalk become a no-go area?

Cos it wasnt last week and it sure as hell wont be this evening.

where is nothing better then chilling out on the boardwalk with a coffee in a nice evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i am really sorry but since when has the boardwalk become a no-go area?

Cos it wasnt last week and it sure as hell wont be this evening.

where is nothing better then chilling out on the boardwalk with a coffee in a nice evening.

Whatever about your fluffy Dublinised view of the area, Its certainly not the Millions spent on Tourist area that it should be. So With out the sensationalist nonsense above. Its still no where near a nice area for tourists. Anytime im there is has a terrible element on it, which you simply dont get in other major cities on a main thoroughfare.

Im a Dubliner through and through and id have no issue sitting there reading a paper, they wouldnt bother me. But i wouldnt fancy being foreign to the city on a tour there.

listermint wrote: »
    Whatever about your fluffy Dublinised view of the area, Its certainly not the Millions spent on Tourist area that it should be. So With out the sensationalist nonsense above. Its still no where near a nice area for tourists. Anytime im there is has a terrible element on it, which you simply dont get in other major cities on a main thoroughfare.

Im a Dubliner through and through and id have no issue sitting there reading a paper, they wouldnt bother me. But i wouldnt fancy being foreign to the city on a tour there.

Dublin is a great city and its safe as hell.

I have travelled a good bit and tbh i would take Dublin over most of the cities in the world.

we actually had a friend from new zealand over last week for the first time who was amazed at how safe the city was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Like knitting, crocheting, you know, assorted needle work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

charlemont wrote: »

I visited Dublin recently and in fairness Its no worse or better than Cork in terms of junkies, I went on the boardwalk and didnt see one junkie, In all I only saw a small handful of junkies the whole day, You would see more of them in Cork.

I've seen the boardwalk and the state of certain parts of the city centre Eden Quay etc and i have to say that Dublin is still in a world of it's own when it comes to junkies.Dublins a grand place but it's junkie problem is still way worse than Corks.With that said though Cork has developed a serious heroin problem in the last 5 years but the same is true about waterford,limerick etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

[Jackass] wrote: »
    The "addicts" get the run of the city centre, and it's a shameless disgrace. They literally don't give a fu*k, and no one says boo to them.
    Em, its not actually illegal to be addicted to something. Nor is it illegal to be in our city.

What is it you are after? Internment for all addicts?

These threads amaze me. Im convinced boards is full is bedwetters afraid of their own shadows. I live in D8 and have no hassle with junkies. Grow a ****ing spine.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Em, its not actually illegal to be addicted to something. Nor is it illegal to be in our city.

What is it you are after? Internment for all addicts?

These threads amaze me. Im convinced boards is full is bedwetters afraid of their own shadows. I live in D8 and have no hassle with junkies. Grow a ****ing spine.

Quoted for flipping truth

I have said it before and i will say it again, Dublin people are terrifed of their own shadow:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I've seen the boardwalk and the state of certain parts of the city centre Eden Quay etc and i have to say that Dublin is still in a world of it's own when it comes to junkies.Dublins a grand place but it's junkie problem is still way worse than Corks.With that said though Cork has developed a serious heroin problem in the last 5 years but the same is true about waterford,limerick etc.

Dublin has a bigger population then Cork,so would have a higher proportion of addicts then Cork does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

In answer to the original question, the answer is because there is seating on the boardwalk. Most, or the majority of these addicts are homeless and have to leave homeless shelters/hostels early morning and are not permitted to go back until later that evening.

Ever tried to spend your day walking around a city with nowhere to go and nothing to do? I know where I'd head if I could sit down for a while and have a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

[, 'addicts' are not to be referred to as 'scumbags, junkies, dirtbags etc etc'

Then just two posts later - THIS;
    charlemont wrote: »

For crying out loud.

LOCKED.. Sorry OP but these discussions are just too much trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement