Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Nutrition Advice

• 30-03-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭

Generally speaking, when I have a game on weekends I am content with my usual breakfast (as the game is on early aftenoon) along with a banana but playing in Ireland the UCFL had many games cancelled over the winter and the prospect of midweek games is upon us again.

Looking at likely kickoff times of 6:30 (finishing work at 5), I was wondering what and when people would reccommend eating in preperation.

Usually I wouldn't worry about it but I was extra tired last Sept (the last time the mid-week games were on) after work and was hoping for some suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Eat some nuts about half 4, Cashew nuts etc, full of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I usually have to go straight from work to boxing training (6-half 7 or 8) so at about half 4 or so I eat a bowl of porridge. Good for a slow release of energy and leaves me filled up until I get in for dinner at around half 8.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

something slow releasing like porridge as above, and a banana would be ideal.

The potassium will help delay cramping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Looks like Porridge with a few nuts will be my afternoon snack come Wednesday so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think a lot depends on personal preference. I like to have a big dinner about two hours before sports and then a banana or two about 30 minutes before starting, but most people seem to find that hard to do. I would definitely recommend that you make sure you have a good meal earlier in the day - meat, veg and rice or pasta - then a good snack when you finish work.

Porridge, nuts and bananas are all good, but I don't think you can get the benefits when mixing them. Fibre in porridge would stop you absorbing the banana properly afaik.

It might be worth asking over on the Health and Fitness forum too.

One other thing I would add, if you're short of energy try power napping. If you can get the chance during the day a 10-20 minute nap can give you loads of energy for the rest of the day. Sometimes five minutes is even enough. Don't sleep too long though or you will be wrecked when you wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Always had a bowl of Cornflakes with Alpen on them then Pizza after the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

A combination simple carbs and protein is optimal.

A banana and a protein shake would be ideal for best results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

drink some lucozade sport or something similar just before the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

steamed chicken,baked potato and pasta with bbq sauce that will get ya going

Advertisement