Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

5 off-topic posts removed.
    mike kelly wrote: »
    stay away

You might want to explain what you mean by this post mike. Stay away from where? From what? From whom?

Edit: 28 other posts later moved to an interesting new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Hi Guys I need some advise regarding rentals in limerick please. when i move i wont be working so not lot of money and need to know how much money i should bring to rent out an apartment or house in limerick city. what would a deposit be and rent.

Im from limerick city my self but been quite some time since i was there.

I am married with a 2 year old child and one on the way (23 weeks today).
    im doing a course which finishes soon and so is my wife.

I am eligible for rent allowance and presently on a RAS house which we do not like and wish to move home to family as we have no one here.

I would guess that the average rent for a property that can cater for two adults and two children for Limerick city and suburbs is in the €600 to €800 range.

Personally I would, if I was married with one child and another on the way, have no interest in renting a flat/apartment in the city centre, and would instead try to rent in the suburbs. Not because of crime or whatever else is being said in the thread, but simply to be closer to amenities like shops, creches, doctors etc.

My own preference, if I was in your situation, would be the Dooradoyle side of town (I already live on that side, but am possibly looking to move away, based on employment and a familiar feeling of wanderlust) as you have pretty every amenity close by and in terms of shops it has a better range than the city centre and you also have things like pubs, takeaways, cinema, churches, and the motorway/link road nearby.

A hell of a lot of the city centre shuts early, so at least with a shopping centre nearby you have late closing a few days of the week, and a supermarket that is open 24 hours.

Daft.ie is quite handy for checking out prices and for seeing what is available in different areas.

If you and/or your wife drive, then your options would increase as you could look into renting in one of the towns outside of Limerick where you may get a better deal on rent in terms of the property you get, and still manage to keep amenities close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

zuroph wrote: »
    very negative first reply. theres a lot of jobs going in limerick, just not in skilled areas. plenty of signs in windows around.
    and if you are going to rent yourself, there is some fantastic apartments going for cheap in city centre, lower rents than most other city centres.

u can say that again! myself and 2 friends moved into a top floor apartment in town and the combined rent between us is 650 a month, balcony and views looking out onto the shannon, cant get any better like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Kess73 wrote: »
    I would guess that the average rent for a property that can cater for two adults and two children for Limerick city and suburbs is in the €600 to €800 range.

Personally I would, if I was married with one child and another on the way, have no interest in renting a flat/apartment in the city centre, and would instead try to rent in the suburbs. Not because of crime or whatever else is being said in the thread, but simply to be closer to amenities like shops, creches, doctors etc.

My own preference, if I was in your situation, would be the Dooradoyle side of town (I already live on that side, but am possibly looking to move away, based on employment and a familiar feeling of wanderlust) as you have pretty every amenity close by and in terms of shops it has a better range than the city centre and you also have things like pubs, takeaways, cinema, churches, and the motorway/link road nearby.

A hell of a lot of the city centre shuts early, so at least with a shopping centre nearby you have late closing a few days of the week, and a supermarket that is open 24 hours.

Daft.ie is quite handy for checking out prices and for seeing what is available in different areas.

If you and/or your wife drive, then your options would increase as you could look into renting in one of the towns outside of Limerick where you may get a better deal on rent in terms of the property you get, and still manage to keep amenities close by.

i found this post by mistake it is addressed to me and was helpful so cheers,

Advertisement