Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food Mixer? Help Please

• 30-03-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all, I have my labrador on Arkwright dog food, its a complete food with chicken, its a dry nut. However she likes a bit of variety and I was mixing it with bakers in a big container and giving her the required amount as a mixture. But I have recently read up on Bakers after seeing some threads on it and I was very surprised at what I found out. So now I am wondering do any of you mix your nuts with anything to moisten them up and add variety? If so what do you advise?
    I would love to hear from you on this. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

zsha wrote: »
    Hi all, I have my labrador on Arkwright dog food, its a complete food with chicken, its a dry nut. However she likes a bit of variety and I was mixing it with bakers in a big container and giving her the required amount as a mixture. But I have recently read up on Bakers after seeing some threads on it and I was very surprised at what I found out. So now I am wondering do any of you mix your nuts with anything to moisten them up and add variety? If so what do you advise?
    I would love to hear from you on this. Thanks

I'll often given them some sardines or mackerel in sunflower oil (never in brine), really cheap from Lidl or Tesco:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

i mix the nuts up with sardines or mackrel in oil too once a day. then some yoghurt sometimes and at night with bovril or gravy (they love that)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Sardines as well here. And they really seem to love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Super thanks for that. Would you give the full tin of sardines or mackerel? Also I never thought of gravy, that would be a great idea. I presume I could just mix up some bisto and water and mix in the nuts when feeding. Thanks v much for that, they are great ideas and wouldn't break the bank either;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i find gravy gives my lot diarioha (sp)

• Advertisement

zsha wrote: »
    Super thanks for that. Would you give the full tin of sardines or mackerel? Also I never thought of gravy, that would be a great idea. I presume I could just mix up some bisto and water and mix in the nuts when feeding. Thanks v much for that, they are great ideas and wouldn't break the bank either;)

i would give one sardine or half of one of the mackrels once a day. too much protein can drive dogs a bit mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Sorry, but I wouldn't give gravy made from granules or bisto, too salty for dogs. If you want to make your own stock, if you have a roast chicken, boil up the carcass afterwards and give them the liquid from it. You can freeze it as well, in small containers, then just defrost one when you want to use it, so it can last for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I'd give them a tin of sardines between the two of them once a week. They love it. If we do a roast on Sundays we'd give them chicken and teeny bit of gravy mixed through the dry food.

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry, but I wouldn't give gravy made from granules or bisto, too salty for dogs. If you want to make your own stock, if you have a roast chicken, boil up the carcass afterwards and give them the liquid from it. You can freeze it as well, in small containers, then just defrost one when you want to use it, so it can last for a long time.

looking at it now, its 0.53g of sodium per 50ml (which would be a human dose) ill be honest and admit i dont know if that is a lot

ISDW wrote: »

Thats a good idea, I could boil up carcus and few veg etc then use that! That would be healthy etc, could make up batch and freeze it as you said. Thanks for that

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for all the advice, I've looked around and I think I am going to try my lab on Red Mills Leader food, when she is nearly finished her current food. I have taken on board all your suggestions and thanks so much. So I think this is a good food and it is easy on my pocket with my local animal supplies selling it at 30-32e for the 15kg bag.
    Thanks again

Advertisement