Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to install my own solar water heating system

• 30-03-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Our house was built a few years ago and at the time we couldn't afford to put up solar panels. I really don't like to have the immersion on all summer when there is all this 'free' energy about.

We won't qualify for a grant, as our ESB meter was installed in late July 08 and the cutoff was 30 June. They won't budge an inch on it.

I got the double coil cylinder put in at the time and everything is in the garage. The roof is pointing in a reasonably good direction to catch the sun.

I just wondered if anyone else has bought panels and installed them, rather than having a contractor put them in. I have seen kits in various wholesalers and wondered how difficult it would be to install. I am an electrician by trade and highly technical, so I won't have any concerns with wiring or controls. I have also done a lot of plumbing, so that won't be an issue.

It would also be good to get advice on what and where to buy.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

the weight of the panels as well as making sure the fixing on the roof is secure and watertight would be the only concerns, as well as your own personal safety when on roof.

There are safety harnesses out there that act like seat-belts so slow movement is okay but a fall= rapid movement will cause it to lock

Have a secure fixing point on roof first: I used a length of 1" nylon rope down the other side to a few 9" hollow blocks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I am an electrican as well bought them from a company in Cork , no problem installing them. Straight forward enough. Pm me if you want the details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thansk for the replies. Safety is often last on peoples list. I will definitely do as you suggest and tie on some way or other. I may have a safety harness somewhere.

pm sent to Bertie1.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

I am also looking to do a solar hot water system myself. I will need to replace my cylinder also as it is too small. I have plumbing and electrical experience so don't mind having a go at it. Any advice on brands of panels or cylinders or other pointers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Hi Corazon,

I have done a fair bit of research and have settled on a supplier for what I need. As I don't need a cylinder, I haven't any idea on that if others here can comment. I have a stainless steel cylinder and one of the suppliers I talked to seemed to think that was overkill but I don't know.

I have pm'ed you the details of the company I will use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement