Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Festivals 2011 -Australia

Options
  • 30-03-2011 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Would love it if anyone could give any info on what Australia's version of Oxegen/Glasto are?! Really hoping to hit a few music festivals while I'm there but just finding it hard to find what exactly are the best ones.

Google throws up a whole bunch of them and it's hard to work out which ones are the most reputable. So far, Splendour in the Grass, Soundwave and Good Vibrations seem to be the most popular (in the world of Google anyways) but what do I know?!

Ideally would be good to find a fest that is a 2/3 day event including camping although 1 day ones would be grand too. Also, location doesn't matter too much as I plan to be travelling anyways but around Melbourne, Sydney or Bryon Bay would be preferable :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

You've missed most of the big ones as we are out of Summer here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yep festival season is over until December/January.

If it's any consolation I had an awesome time at Soundwave :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Festivals are not really done the same way here. Seems, to me, that they are mainly one day affairs. Soundwave (Maiden), Big Day out(Tool, MIA, Wolfmother, Iggy Rammstein), Future music (Chemical brothers and a load of dance acts) all huge acts, one day though!!
    There is blues fest near byron. 5 day festival over easter. Then nothing!!! Country turns into work mode and waits out the winter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

All the big oens are gone. But

Supafest is this month is 4 cities. Urban/Rap music. if that's your thing the line up is pretty good. http://www.supafest.com.au/

Creamfields - 30th april in sydney, prob in other cities too. Deadmaus headlines. Dance music, again if its your thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LisaRed

Doc wrote: »
    You've missed most of the big ones as we are out of Summer here now.

Aww I know but I'll be there for Summer 2012 [May 2011-May 2012] :)

...so insert recommendations here please :D

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    All the big oens are gone. But

Supafest is this month is 4 cities. Urban/Rap music. if that's your thing the line up is pretty good. http://www.supafest.com.au/

Creamfields - 30th april in sydney, prob in other cities too. Deadmaus headlines. Dance music, again if its your thing

Aww cool, defo didn't come across Supafest before, looks pretty cool. Didn't know Creamfields was in Oz either :D that's brilliant, thanks a mill for that!

Festivals are not really done the same way here. Seems, to me, that they are mainly one day affairs. Soundwave (Maiden), Big Day out(Tool, MIA, Wolfmother, Iggy Rammstein), Future music (Chemical brothers and a load of dance acts) all huge acts, one day though!!
    There is blues fest near byron. 5 day festival over easter. Then nothing!!! Country turns into work mode and waits out the winter!!

Yeah that seems to be the way from what I can gather, bar that 3day camping Splendour in the Grass one but it seems to sell out really quickly :(

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll def bookmark them! One day is better than no day :D

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yep festival season is over until December/January.

If it's any consolation I had an awesome time at Soundwave :pac:

Haha yes that is consolidating cause I hope to be there next festival season :p are tickets hard to come by?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LisaRed wrote: »
    Haha yes that is consolidating cause I hope to be there next festival season :p are tickets hard to come by?

For the east coast they can be. The Big Day Out is the biggest festival and they've had to put on a second day in Sydney numerous times such was the demand.

There's loads of options for one day festivals but very few long weekend versions. The only decent one in and around Perth is Southbound which takes place over New Year's weekend.

I'd usually do Big Day Out and Soundwave as they're in Jan/Feb then March respectively. Mostly indie/rock type music with some dance and hip hop thrown in so it's a healthy mix.

There's also Good Vibrations and Future Music which are more dance orientated.

During summer you could pretty much do some sort of festival every two or three weeks.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    For the east coast they can be. The Big Day Out is the biggest festival and they've had to put on a second day in Sydney numerous times such was the demand.

There's loads of options for one day festivals but very few long weekend versions. The only decent one in and around Perth is Southbound which takes place over New Year's weekend.

I'd usually do Big Day Out and Soundwave as they're in Jan/Feb then March respectively. Mostly indie/rock type music with some dance and hip hop thrown in so it's a healthy mix.

There's also Good Vibrations and Future Music which are more dance orientated.

During summer you could pretty much do some sort of festival every two or three weeks.

Wow thats brilliant info, thanks a mill! That sounds perfect, just do a few festivals to make up for the lack of camping ones available, me likeys :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement