Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey quick question for renters and tenants!

Options
  • 30-03-2011 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I recently moved into a new house share about ten days ago paid my depsoit and the months rent in advance. The landlord usually collects the rent at the start or end of the month and its now aproaching that day!. The monthly rent comes to 400 euros. I guess my question would be since I only lived there ten days do I pay the full 400 euro rent? If the full four hundred is required then I'll pay it but I thought I would ask since 400 seems a bit steep for only ten days! I paid the months rent and the deposit before I moved in and gave references so im sure the landlord doesnt think Im a chancer for asking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

What does it say on the receipt for the first payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

flay wrote: »
    I recently moved into a new house share about ten days ago paid my depsoit and the months rent in advance. The landlord usually collects the rent at the start or end of the month and its now aproaching that day!. The monthly rent comes to 400 euros. I guess my question would be since I only lived there ten days do I pay the full 400 euro rent? If the full four hundred is required then I'll pay it but I thought I would ask since 400 seems a bit steep for only ten days! I paid the months rent and the deposit before I moved in and gave references so im sure the landlord doesnt think Im a chancer for asking!

Rent is usually paid in advance not arrears. So you will be paying for the next month, not the past 10 days. I've never known of a LL who would accept his/her rent in arrears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭flay

Zamboni wrote: »
    What does it say on the receipt for the first payment?

It just says 400 paid for months months rent and 400 paid for deposit.

SteoL wrote: »
    Rent is usually paid in advance not arrears. So you will be paying for the next month, not the past 10 days. I've never known of a LL who would accept his/her rent in arrears.

So the 400 is due tommorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

So the 400 is due tommorrow?

Sorry I misread your OP. You say you already paid it in advance. Why would LL be calling again after 10 days if you have paid a months rent upfront? I wouldn't be expecting to see him again until after the month was up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It would be normal only to part pay for the month you move in, if you've only moved in late in the month.

Did you pay 800 about ten days ago when you moved in?

If so, then it would be reasonable to expect that was one month of deposit, €133 for the past ten days, and €267 towards the coming month - meaning that you just owe him about €133 to bring up to the end of April.

The landlord may try to stiff you and say that you have to pay the full months rent even though you were just there for a few days - and unfortunately since you didn't agree it in advance your negotiating position is weak.

Having said that, landlord probably doesn't want to risk upsetting a new tenant, and may yield easily on it. Have you discussed with housemates to get their opinion?

edanto wrote: »
    It would be normal only to part pay for the month you move in, if you've only moved in late in the month.

Did you pay 800 about ten days ago when you moved in?

If so, then it would be reasonable to expect that was one month of deposit, €133 for the past ten days, and €267 towards the coming month.

The landlord may try to stiff you and say that you have to pay the full months rent even though you were just there for a few days - and unfortunately since you didn't agree it in advance your negotiating position is weak.

Having said that, landlord probably doesn't want to risk upsetting a new tenant, and may yield easily on it. Have you discussed with housemates to get their opinion?

I paid the 400 for months rent in advance when I moved in ten days ago but I paid the deposit three days before that in order to secure the room! I work long hours and havent seen the housemates the last few days. I wont see them untill rent day which is tomorrow! I have the money if needed but I only want to pay whats owed.

SteoL wrote: »
    Sorry I misread your OP. You say you already paid it in advance. Why would LL be calling again after 10 days if you have paid a months rent upfront? I wouldn't be expecting to see him again until after the month was up.

He collects everyones rent at the same time (At least I think he does). Im wondering when he turns up will he expect the the full 400 euro! Sorry steol the months rent that was required was simply described as a months rent and not described as a months rent in advance. As I say I have th money if needed and im not trying to con anyone but I dont want to pay more than whats owed!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

If you've only been there for 10 days of the month then you only pay rent for those ten days, unless specifically agreed otherwise in advance. The landlord will not ask you for another €400 full month's rent unless he is a complete chancer.

You've already paid a full month's rent in advance so I'd suggest just paying them 10 days rent at the end of the month and that'll be it. Other than that you could just pay your full month's rent every month on the same day as you moved in but if the landlord is calling over to collect he probably won't be in favour of that.

If you've only been there for 10 days of the month then you only pay rent for those ten days, unless specifically agreed otherwise in advance. The landlord will not ask you for another €400 full month's rent unless he is a complete chancer.

You've already paid a full month's rent in advance so I'd suggest just paying them 10 days rent at the end of the month and that'll be it. Other than that you could just pay your full month's rent every month on the same day as you moved in but if the landlord is calling over to collect he probably won't be in favour of that.

Thanks for the advice. No there was no specific agreement in place. Ill ask the other flatmates when is my next months rent due ect. Ill then ask do I need to pay the full amount. Has any renter been in this position before that can offer advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Thanks for the advice. No there was no specific agreement in place. Ill ask the other flatmates when is my next months rent due ect. Ill then ask do I need to pay the full amount. Has any renter been in this position before that can offer advice?

Just ask them when the next rent is due and TELL them what you are going to pay. You shouldn't be paying for days before you moved in..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

on the other hand you could just ring the LL and ask.

Advertisement