Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropbox: double space from referrals (students)

• 30-03-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I just found this out as I'm going away soon and was looking for ways to increase my Dropbox space, so figure a lot of you might not know yet.

First of all if you're not yet using Dropbox you can sign up using my referral link so we both get extra online storage space: http://db.tt/dBFj6Ll

If you're a student sign in to your Dropbox account and go to: https://www.dropbox.com/edu
    Put in your college email address and click on the verification link they send you. You'll now have 500MB instead of 250MB for every referral, including past ones. :D

Note that it says it's based on you having a .edu email address but worked for me with a Trinity College email so I'd assume they recognise any Irish college. There's also a link at the bottom of the page to add your college email to their list if it doesn't work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭cython

Thanks for that. I can confirm that @nuim.ie addresses are accepted too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

works for @ucd.ie email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭brozio7

works for @NUIG, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Works for @student.dit.ie as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Would you not just use windows live sky drive and get 25GB of free storage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Doesn't work for IT Sligo accounts. Que the jokes about IT Sligo not being a real college. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

GarIT wrote: »
    Would you not just use Dropbox and get me some extra megs... :P

Ah they're different things really, can't beat the convenience of Dropbox, although if I needed 25 gigs then sure, I'd just use the Windows thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Sky Drive actually is a real pain, but it saves having to get referrals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,048 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Que the jokes about IT Sligo not being a real college. :D
    It's barely a real county! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Should probably mention that LYIT doesn't work either...

Yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

Doesn't work for IT Sligo accounts. Que the jokes about IT Sligo not being a real college. :D

All you have to do is submit a support ticket with whatever your colleges e-mail address is for students and they'll update their online form in about 24 hours or so. I had to register *@ucd.ie with them this way a few months ago.

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Markjsca1 wrote: »
    All you have to do is submit a support ticket with whatever your colleges e-mail address is for students and they'll update their online form in about 24 hours or so. I had to register *@ucd.ie with them this way a few months ago.

There is a form you can fill out to ask for another college to be added. I've done that so hopefully they'll update it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Works for DCU.

Actually.. not to get too off-topic.. but does IT Sligo still delete e-mail accounts the year after you leave? Fuggin' ridiculous!

Basq wrote: »
    Actually.. not to get too off-topic.. but does IT Sligo still delete e-mail accounts the year after you leave? Fuggin' ridiculous!

The @itsligo.ie ones yes but they now use microsofts live services so the college email address is now a live account so I imagine this will stop.

The @itsligo.ie ones yes but they now use microsofts live services so the college email address is now a live account so I imagine this will stop.
    Yeah, mine was deleted not long after I left. Absolutely disgraceful tbh!

God forbid you make any contacts (either personal or professional) in college using your e-mail address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Works for UCC @umail.ucc.ie

Thanks Op! Up to 4.8Gb free now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

GarIT wrote: »
    Also, where's the fun in getting 25 gigs straight away! With Dropbox it's a challenge to get as much free as you can haha! (bump) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

God forbid you make any contacts (either personal or professional) in college using your e-mail address.

well the NUIG one is deactivated after you de-register as a student, you can't send/receive emails. NUIG uses the Windows Live service as well, so i imagine that's what'll happen with it sligo as well

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Also works using a University of Limerick Email Address. Does anyone know of any good ways that you can max out to 16Gb without referring other people? I think I've run out of friends to refer! Telling me to get more friends is not a valid response! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Another one working from DCU.

If your email doesn't work you can contact them to have it added. :)

Absolutely great post OP, that just doubled me from 8 to 16GB. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Also works using a University of Limerick Email Address. Does anyone know of any good ways that you can max out to 16Gb without referring other people? I think I've run out of friends to refer! Telling me to get more friends is not a valid response! :P
    Create second accounts and more email address's and refer them.

The WIT email doesn't seem to work :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

That's epic! My 11GB of space suddenly became 20GB. Thanks OP!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tinie wrote: »
    Create second accounts and more email address's and refer them.

Doesn't work, you only get the free storage when the account is set up on a new PC and only one account per PC.

BTW Sugarsync is another very good service the same as dropbox, but starts off at 5GB and gives you 500MB for each referral, without needing to be a student.

Here are my dropbox and sugarsync referrals, will give us both extra storage:

Dropbox
    SugarSync

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

new to this, would appreciate giving someone extra space ;)

dropbox linky http://db.tt/pci1efc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

would appreciate some space too!

here's my referral link

http://db.tt/DpzP6QY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Also works using a University of Limerick Email Address.

Doesn't for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

If anyone is signing up here's my referral link:
    http://db.tt/XpkB1Mk

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Must be a nightmare to change the contact address:rolleyes: Why should a college provide this service indefinetly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement