Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible thorn in pad.

• 30-03-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    i was out for a walk this morning with my lab, it was pretty much a cross country walk that we usually traverse.

anyway i saw Dan limping on his front right paw up ahead.
    i checked it and he had a twig with a thorn going straight into the main pad on his front right pad.

i pulled it out slowly but i noticed that the top of the thorn was missing.
    i dont know whether its stuck in his pad or it was never there when he walked on it.
    he carried on as normal after pulling it out without any noticeable limp.
    when we got home i had a proper look at it and soaked it with warm soapy water.

he was fine but now cant seem to put any weight on it.

anybody have any experience of anything like this?

i have heard about doing something like this..

http://www.cornishfirstaid.co.uk/first-aid-advice/removing-a-splinter.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If it was me I'd go to the vets. If the thorn is still in there the wound could get infected and I know my vet would do a much better/quicker job at removing something than I would!! My guy split a pad last year and had a flap at the edge- we were ok for him to wear a little boot for a week or so until it healed - the main thing the vet said was to not let any foreign bodies into the wound. Luckily I had the boots in our first aid kit from when he cut his paw - I think they sell the same ones in maxizoo - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/nail_paw/paw_care/129900

Advertisement