Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whipping Boy return

Options
  • 30-03-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Whipping boy are playing Roisin Dubh in Galway on May 20th, there should be more gigs around the Country. Tickets are €16 / € 18 through their website
    www.roisindubn.net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Their return will actually be at Vantastival on the May bank Holiday weekend. http://www.vantastival.com Whipping Boy headline the Sunday night. Great festival... last year was brilliant. can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Pissed off I chose to come home to Galway the week AFTER this gig..any more listed elsewhere yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

They are playing The Forum in Waterford on Bank Holiday Sunday 5 June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I wonder what the chances of them playing the electric picnic are?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭useded

Anybody know of any contact details for the band?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

They are also playing the spirit store in Dundalk on May 21. tickets at www.spiritstore.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

There'll surely be a Dublin gig, won't there? I'd go to the Dundalk one, but a Dublin one would be far handier for me. Don't want to miss out on Spirit Store tickets waiting, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 allsorts1

The original lineup of whipping boy are not reforming for the Vantastival festival and the the other dates around the country that follow. Two of the original lineup (singer and drummer) are playing the shows -the guitarist and bass player are not getting involved.
    I know this for a fact as I work with the guitarist and he is not interested in doing these shows -he said they did the whole reforming bit a few years ago, and that he has no interest in doing it again.

He doesn't seem to have a problem with the other two doing it, but is slightly p**ed off and concerned that fans and promoters may not be aware of the fact, as none of the press releases seems to mention it.

For some fans, it might not be an issue but for others it might be a big deal. Something to consider when buying your tickets..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Redordead80

I went to see whipping boy a couple of weeks ago in portlaoise on may 26th. Admittedly, I was really excited, been waiting to see them for years and was thinking I was gonna be in for a real treat! I was In For a treat alright!*
    Ferghal came on stage and started screaming down the mic obviously trying to warm his vocal chords which was fair enough( little weird but I let it go). The first three/four songs were fine but that's when it all got a bit scary. He turned into mr split personality, and to be honest I actually felt intimidated and even a little scared of him. To me, he portrayed himself as a 15 year old attention seeking angry(very angry) boy. His ranting and raving in between songs about people coming to your house to cut out your tongue only to give u a new one left me wondering one thing...whats going on inside his head?? *
    This all happened before he threw himself flat onto the floor( he actually looked liked he was having an epileptic attack), and at that stage I thought it was time to vacate my seat(which was right in front of mr personality of the year) The rest of the gig I viewed from a short distance by the bar, which unfortunately didn't get much better. *To me, there was too much ranting and bitterness throughout, about how when they played back in 95/96 they didn't give a **** who they played for which *was insulting their fans and not having any respect for them. Oh and apparently he was on the dry as well, drinking non alcoholic becks to wash down whatever drugs he was on! As much as I loved hearing every track from heartworm, I was so disappointed with the gig as a whole. It's been such a disappointment after all these years, i'm sorry I didn't stay at home. So to anyone out there thinking of going to see them, take my advice, stick heartworm on full volume, have a few beers and enjoy! Honestly , I'll never see them in the same light again.*
    I think he has alot of issues and it's probably preventing them from going any further which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brianw

i am lucky enough to have seen them a few times between 92 and 96 when i was a student. great band.
    saw them at olympia 2/3? years ago and in comparison was pretty sh*t.
    don't think i would risk it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I went to see whipping boy a couple of weeks ago in portlaoise on may 26th. Admittedly, I was really excited, been waiting to see them for years and was thinking I was gonna be in for a real treat! I was In For a treat alright!*
    Ferghal came on stage and started screaming down the mic obviously trying to warm his vocal chords which was fair enough( little weird but I let it go). The first three/four songs were fine but that's when it all got a bit scary. He turned into mr split personality, and to be honest I actually felt intimidated and even a little scared of him. To me, he portrayed himself as a 15 year old attention seeking angry(very angry) boy. His ranting and raving in between songs about people coming to your house to cut out your tongue only to give u a new one left me wondering one thing...whats going on inside his head?? *
    This all happened before he threw himself flat onto the floor( he actually looked liked he was having an epileptic attack), and at that stage I thought it was time to vacate my seat(which was right in front of mr personality of the year) The rest of the gig I viewed from a short distance by the bar, which unfortunately didn't get much better. *To me, there was too much ranting and bitterness throughout, about how when they played back in 95/96 they didn't give a **** who they played for which *was insulting their fans and not having any respect for them. Oh and apparently he was on the dry as well, drinking non alcoholic becks to wash down whatever drugs he was on! As much as I loved hearing every track from heartworm, I was so disappointed with the gig as a whole. It's been such a disappointment after all these years, i'm sorry I didn't stay at home. So to anyone out there thinking of going to see them, take my advice, stick heartworm on full volume, have a few beers and enjoy! Honestly , I'll never see them in the same light again.*
    I think he has alot of issues and it's probably preventing them from going any further which is a shame.

Very interesting reading this having seen Mr McKee and co probably 5 years ago in Vicar Street for a reunion (and rumoured new album based on the outcome of the comeback). The gig didn't get a great turnout but that aside, while the quality of the musicianship was fine, Fergal McKees behaviour got progressively more erratic culminating in a few songs being screamed through a visor on a motorbike helmet before stage diving head first onto the floor of Vicar Street (which for those curious about such phenomena has the same effect as attaching any weight to your head). A far cry from an amazing gig in the Bolton Street Rag Week around '94 when they really could rip it up.

On the up side, I discovered Jinx Lennon supporting and what a journey that has been

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I was at the gig in Kavanaghs too. I thought he was setting the tone for the gig when he was screaming before the 1st song. I thought the musicianship was pretty good. Ferghal's singing was a bit messy at times but he was fairly fvcked so that accounts for that.

When he was running around the place and lying on the ground it felt (to me at least) that he was either harking back to the 90's when they were in their prime, or playing up to his perceived on-stage character, or both!

Like you i was really excited about seeing them and felt a bit let down by the lacklustre singing, but overall thought it was a good gig. If they were added to the EP bill and played an early slot, maybe he wouldn't be so wasted and then they would really tear the place up!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

They posted this on their Facebook page earlier:

Ferghal looks in bits! Missing teeth, overweight and what you can see of his face looks worse for wear. He looked great at the reunion gigs 6 years back but I dunno what's happened since, very sad to see. I won't be going to any of the new gigs, I don't want to ruin my memories of that great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw them in Dolans a few weeks ago and I was annoyed when I heard it wasn't a full reunion but I still went. They opened up with the Honeymoon is Over and musically it sounded good (why do they need the keyboardist who seemed to do nothing btw?) but then Fearghal started singing the chorus early and messing up like that for first few songs, then the ranting began and it became a bit of a mess. He wasn't writhing on the ground at any point but he embarrassingly jumped into the crowd and seemed a bit lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Was that his kid there him or did I pick it up wrong?

He looks in very bad shape.

Pity, I saw them at the last reunion tour in Cork, was a good gig, even though it started a couple of hours late. I was considering going to see them on this one but by the sounds of it I'm better of not going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lions E

Great gig in the Set theatre Kilkenny last night. Awesome! Fhergal handed out a jar of honey to the audience to dip into! mad stuff- he even handed me the microphone to sing at one stage!
    Brilliant voice but pity there wasn't more people in attendance. no satisfying some people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

They were a bit ropey at Indiependence.
    The sound was awful but in fairness, that complaint was constant for the entire weekend (and multiple bands) but Ferghal's singing was notably off in quite a few songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

Anyone going to see them in the Academy tomorrow night? I really love Heartworm and am looking forward to reliving a period of my youth when this album was my soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Yeah I'll be there also.

After seeing that youtube clip I'm starting to think this could be a disaster, hopefully not!

Hopefully Fearghal just sings the songs and doesn't go overboard with speeches etc. Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Hockney wrote: »
    After seeing that youtube clip I'm starting to think this could be a disaster, hopefully not!
    Worst gig I was ever at. Walked out about ten past ten, and I wasnt the only one. McKee is a ****ing spoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I did the same. Though most people seemed to be staying.
    New songs seem a bit C&W or something. Yer man is still a great front man though.

I was reading a review which said they played with the smashing pumpkins in the sfx years ago and " blew them of the stage"
    I was at a gig in the SFX with the SP and thought they were great , as was the support band but I'm not sure it was WB.

Was anyone else there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Was at one of those gigs in the SFX and Ash supported them but they played 2 gigs - so could of played at the other one

InReality wrote: »
    New songs seem a bit C&W or something. Yer man is still a great front man though.

I was reading a review which said they played with the smashing pumpkins in the sfx years ago and " blew them of the stage"
    I was at a gig in the SFX with the SP and thought they were great , as was the support band but I'm not sure it was WB.

Was anyone else there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

I feared the worst on Saturday but ended up pleasantly surprised. The band while not as tight as the original lineup were still fine.

Once Fearghal dispensed with the outrageous balaclava and the bicycle what was there you didn't like? Felt he paid his songs their due reverence and thought his voice still sounded ok after all these years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lions E

Well my calf muscles are still aching so thats a thumbs up from me. I think he should have played the new stuff first and Heartworm last as for me it was anticlimactic once the wellknown stuff was over. Great gig though and the celloist was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

For me the Heartworm stuff was good , but the new stuff was just not any good at all. I thought the bike and "hat" were good craic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

InReality wrote: »

C&W?? Didn't get that at all. Would've been good if they'd kept Heartworm till last but maybe he didn't feel the new stuff was strong enough.

With a lesser album maybe they could've mixed the running order up and thrown in some new material in the middle, but not with Heartworm - bit of a "concept album" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

CiaranC wrote: »
    Worst gig I was ever at. Walked out about ten past ten, and I wasnt the only one. McKee is a ****ing spoofer.

Was it really that bad? Jesus...

Advertisement