Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute Beginner..... :eek:

Options
  • 30-03-2011 7:07pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there...

So, I bought a house. That was mistake number 1. :)

This house has a car-shed in it and I dont drive so I kinda got the mad idea that it would be great to have a workshop in it.

I have this romantic plan of making some things out of wood because my day job (if you can even call it that)... is entirely virtual and I feel like I would like to do something totally different.

The same impulse drove me to try acting a while back and now the troupe I act with asked me to do some furniture for a play in 5 weeks time.
    I need to build two pieces. One is a counter top and the other is a DJ station.

These dont have to be anything special but they need to be easily removeable to get them on and off stage. The counter top should be easy but the DJ station might be trickier.

So, am I in the right place.... and what should I do now?

(To give you an idea.... up until I bought the house, I didnt own a drill. I'm sure that at some stage I have nailed a piece of wood to another piece of wood, but I couldnt tell you when. On the plus side, I used to be a cobbler when I was younger, so I am ok with handling power tools and nails and hammers.)

Thanks for your help, I'm probably going to drive you all nuts but perhaps if others are thinking of starting, they can learn from my mistakes :)

DeV.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hi there DeVore. I'd say you're in the right place alright. Lots of people here who'd love to tell you what tools you'll need ;) It's probably a good idea to let people know what tools you have, first. Presumably you'll be building the props out of MDF?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

By the way, I can personally guarantee you that not one person on this forum has ever made a mistake.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Um. I guess MDF is the best idea.... these things dont have to last a lifetime and need to be cheap (acting is not a wealthy activity, no matter what Hollywood tells you).

As for tools.... I have a little Black and Decker drill. Um.... a stanley knife I think, and some screws and screw-drivers.

I can rustle up some nails. :)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Um. I guess MDF is the best idea.... these things dont have to last a lifetime and need to be cheap (acting is not a wealthy activity, no matter what Hollywood tells you).

As for tools.... I have a little Black and Decker drill. Um.... a stanley knife I think, and some screws and screw-drivers.

I can rustle up some nails. :)

DeV.

Oh, I intend to make some "nice" stuff after this... stuff for my house, I just thought it would be a good idea to start on these things as a way of "easing into it".

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

if u tell us what sort of stuff u want to make we can suggest some tools:

some tools that are always useful include
    jigsaw
    chop saw
    sander
    dust mask- quality
    ear muffs- quality
    safety glasses

in the beginning if u need mdf cut to size get it done where u buy it

if processing loads of sheets of 8 by 4 consider a hand held circular saw with a guide.

as with all tools safety comes first so no loose clothing, jewelry, watch, etc and no trailing cables

Is there a "bible" for beginners or do I just go looking for "Wood, for Dummies" ? :)

DeV.

A cordless drill is worth getting too. Modern screws are designed to be driven by them. And a plane - you can often get better ones at car boot sales.
    You'll also need a measuring tape and most important; a good square, combination squares are useful. Keep an eye on the German supermarkets too for tools.
    The best book imo is,
    "Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual" ISBN 0-00-411565-1

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

If you're anywhere near Harold's Cross these guys are always helpful and charge a lot less then the likes of woodies and such.

http://woodworkers.ie/index.shtml

If you draw up even a rough sketch of what you want you want to make with measurements etc they'll figure out a cutting list with you. They have a cutting and delivery service too so it could help you avoid any of those "how did I not think of that" situations.

They'll talk you through what else you'll need like tools and fixings and stuff and have fair prices but that said, if you need tools, let them show you what you need and buy them somewhere else. They can be pretty pricey for them.

Also, no, I don't work for them or anything. I just buy all my timber there and after proof reading my post I think I may have a thing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

By the way, since you're our leader and all and seeing that I'm bored to almost insanity levels, if you need a hand with anything feel free to give me a shout.

Free and gratis and all that as long you're not a slave driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I have the collins book and it's a great little reference. I think you could really enjoy the http://thewoodwhisperer.com/ podcasts. I love them. Mark spagnola is the name of the guy who makes the videos. He is the perfect teacher IMO. He knows and truly loves the subject and his videos are always so specific and direct to the point. Good editing means he skips unnecessary parts ie going between the machines, and you get close ups just when you nee them.
    Only problem(and its a huge one) is that the guys workshop has a banks bailout worth of machinery and most of his videos are geared towards them. Very frustrating Having him explain things so well but knowing I cant recreate it.
    That said some of the earlier videos cover the basics.

Ps
    I think chisels are a basic but for your project you won't need them. Circular saw and drill would get you through I reckon.

Thanks, i have a basic list of stuff to get now... I presume some sort of workbench thing is also good :)

Quiet_You, I may well be back to you. I have plenty of help for the set most likely but when it comes to making something that isnt going to be thrown away 5 days later, I'll most likely be back to you! :)

Thanks for the books suggestions too... I'll spring for them for sure!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I found wood turning easy enough to get a handle on and i've sort of moved on from there making more elaborate wooden goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

For stage props I would suggest using shuttering grade ply as opposed to MDF- a 12mm sheet is cheap, light and reasonably strong, it cuts well and unlike MDF the corners and edges are more forgiving of rough handling. Try to make your props so that parts will fold/ hinge or collapse for ease of handling and storage. Cheap pressed steel hinges and sliding bolts coupled with a bit of ingenuity in design will go a long way. Don't start me on tools, it's a slippery slope; given your cobbling background you're sure to get in on woodworking very quickly! Good luck and have fun.

Thats just what I was thinking (re: the hinges and bolts) and thanks for the tips on the materials!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

DeVore,

Welcome aboard. ;) 27,000 + posts.
    I second JoAll's recommendations.
    And I will put in a word for the use of solid wood as a place to get started. It can be worked with hand tools, a handsaw, block & jack plane etc., initial outlay is reasonable.

I would say your first order of business would be to fashion a bench or table with a vise attached. Nothing elaborate. Makes life much easier. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RJunior

Quiet you wrote: »
    If you're anywhere near Harold's Cross these guys are always helpful and charge a lot less then the likes of woodies and such.

http://woodworkers.ie/index.shtml

Also, no, I don't work for them or anything. I just buy all my timber there and after proof reading my post I think I may have a thing for them.

Woodworkers.ie are great. Bang in the measurements for your piece and all you have to do is put it together. Takes a lot of the hassle out of building something if you don't have access to a table saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mother of God Dev, throw yourself in at the deep end anyway. If you were living in Cork I'd gladly give you a hand.

Minimum tools I'd recommend would be a circular saw, jigsaw, some form of workbench (Don't get the Black and Decker one, there's much cheaper ones which are copies on sale now), clamps, and a length of 1x2 timber to use as a guide for cutting straight lines with your circular saw.

Advertisement