Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christening fee??

Options
  • 30-03-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all we're having a christening soon in knocknacarra church and i'm just wondering do i need to pay the priest and if so how much??? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

I'd say around €150 to €250 should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

From talking with friends a "donation" of about €50 is about average. Maybe people payed €150/250 a few years ago but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

The priest in Knocknacarra was happy with €50 euro over 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

JonJoeDali wrote: »

WTF :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Up to €250 for an hour work.... no wonder the country's shagged!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I asked around about this before we had a christening at another Galway church late last year. The consensus was €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I think €100 is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I think €100 is more than enough.

Agreed. Place two €50 notes in 2 envelopes. Mark one envelope with the priest's name and the other envelope with "upkeep of church" written on it.

Enjoy the day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

He wouldn't take our 50. We put it in the poor box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Thats madness

Our Parish Priest just asked for a donation of whatever you can afford and put it in an envelope but dont put your name on it so nobody knows what anyone else gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

€100 would be sound I'd say. All depends I suppose whether you are an avid Church goer / collection plate contributor I suppose. But seems reasonable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

there is no set amount they just ask for a donation, 50 euro is usually the amount paople put in. although i did do godfather for a friend of mines kid a while back and they were asked for 50 euro, i know its the same amount but i just thought it was a bit presumptuous of the church worker to put a figure on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

150 !
    Are ye mad.
    We have 4 kids in our family, and along with the extended family, there have been a fair few christenings. Even during the so-called celtic tiger era, no more than 50 quid would be paid to the priest for a christening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

WTF :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Up to €250 for an hour work.... no wonder the country's shagged!

Thats taking the piss. Most churches look for a donation between 40-50 euro and no more.

We were told even by the priest that its a donation and not necessary. He told us the average was 40-50 but times have changed so only give what you can afford.

This was in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

That was a joke right? They were looking to get the child christened not put them through the priesthood!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

€100 if there is no other christening that day, €50 if there are a few on back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The priest wouldn't take a penny from us for my boy's christening nearly 18 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Fr. Dali, is that you? :p

Sizzler wrote: »
    That was a joke right? They were looking to get the child christened not put them through the priesthood!

No, if you were to hire a hotel function room for an hour you'd be expected to pay at least that. Especially when no food/drink would be sold.

I don't understand why people think Catholicism is cheap. Fair enough if you've paid your monthly dues for the last decade to hand over €50 or €100.

amiable wrote: »
    The priest wouldn't take a penny from us for my boy's christening nearly 18 months ago

Must have been Foxrock parish?

Must have been Foxrock parish?
    Why must it have been Foxrock parish?
    You know there are places outside Dublin that exist in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Recent experience was that €50 was the norm, but also a 'tip' was required on the day for the Clerk/Sarchrastin in the church.

amiable wrote: »
    Why must it have been Foxrock parish?
    You know there are places outside Dublin that exist in Ireland

Oh sorry. The Pale complex. Forgot I should tip-toe around on that one for fear of getting up someone's goat.

Oh sorry. The Pale complex. Forgot I should tip-toe around on that one for fear of getting up someone's goat.
    Forget the Pale Jack.
    You didn't answer the question

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leave it folks and let's get back to Galway current prices.

biko wrote: »
    Leave it folks and let's get back to Galway current prices.
    My point exactly. It was a Galway price i posted originally:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

No, if you were to hire a hotel function room for an hour you'd be expected to pay at least that. Especially when no food/drink would be sold.

I don't understand why people think Catholicism is cheap. Fair enough if you've paid your monthly dues for the last decade to hand over €50 or €100.

I don't understand this, why should you have to pay the priest at all, this is they're job and they're already being paid to do it.
    Although, saying that, I think it's ok to give a donation to the church if you wanted instead.

Surely you wouldnt 'tip' your doctor after they've carried out an operation on you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

€50 and it's good form to invite him if you're going for a bite to eat afterwards- did that in December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

From my experience, it depends on the priest. Had a row with the missus over child number 3 last year, I said €50 was plenty as there were 4 other children been baptised at the same time. In what was an historic occasion, I won the argument! The two before that were €100 donations (3 different priests by the way), but given the times we are in, I would argue €50 is plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I don't understand this, why should you have to pay the priest at all, this is they're job and they're already being paid to do it.
    Paid how and by whom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dave92

So I'm taking from this E50-100 is acceptable and is more than likely what ill be going with but now im confused about the ''clerk''??? I don't mean to be funny but will it not be awkward handing him/her cash or whats the protocol with that?

Advertisement