Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christening fee??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

What does the clerk do to warrant a payment? Actually, what does a church clerk do?

My advice would be to give the priest 50 euro in a sealed envelope; its up to him to share it if he wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

Paid how and by whom?

As far as i know they get a salary from the diocese.
    Don't get me wrong i'm not against people donating money but it is their actual job to do these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

What does the clerk do to warrant a payment? Actually, what does a church clerk do?

My advice would be to give the priest 50 euro in a sealed envelope; its up to him to share it if he wishes.

It was the Priest who called me to one side and said to Tip the Clerk. That is what the Priest called him, I would have thought he was the Sarchrastin.

when you are told to give a donation of a specific amount, its no longer a donation

this is one among a multitude of reasons why I wont be getting married catholic, or raising my kids catholic.....its riddled with hypocrisy and paedo's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

As far as i know they get a salary from the diocese.
    Don't get me wrong i'm not against people donating money but it is their actual job to do these things.
    But the diocese doesn't really have much of an independent income over what comes in from the church collections. I was under the impression that what comes in from parishioners is what provides the priest's income so that the envelope on the day of the Christening is his sole income for that work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

But the diocese doesn't really have much of an independent income over what comes in from the church collections. I was under the impression that what comes in from parishioners is what provides the priest's income so that the envelope on the day of the Christening is his sole income for that work.

"Go forth and baptise the nations. But don't do it unless they pay you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

dave92 wrote: »
    So I'm taking from this E50-100 is acceptable and is more than likely what ill be going with but now im confused about the ''clerk''??? I don't mean to be funny but will it not be awkward handing him/her cash or whats the protocol with that?
    If I were you I would buy a nice Thank You card and put your gift to him in it. Saying that I know our wonderful parish priest in Knocknacarra would baptise your child without any donation at all..........thats the kind of man he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was under the impression that what comes in from parishioners is what provides the priest's income so that the envelope on the day of the Christening is his sole income for that work.

Frankly, this thread and the idea of buying religious services sickens me.

If you're a member of the parish and donating regularly (according to your means), I'd expect that this to cover you for all sacramental services, with no additional fees needed.

And if you're not, then don't bother having the kid baptised: you clearly have no intention of raising it Catholic, so stop wasting everyone's time. If you wanna have a nice family party, book a room in a hotel and go for it, and leave out the hypocrisy.

Yes, I know, the Irish govt's failure to provide an education system means that many of ye feel a need to be nominal Catholics just to get your kid into school But if you ALL stopped pretending, then this problem would go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

JustMary wrote: »

If you're a member of the parish and donating regularly (according to your means), I'd expect that this to cover you for all sacramental services, with no additional fees needed.

And if you're not, then don't bother having the kid baptised: you clearly have no intention of raising it Catholic, so stop wasting everyone's time. If you wanna have a nice family party, book a room in a hotel and go for it, and leave out the hypocrisy.

Yes, I know, the Irish govt's failure to provide an education system means that many of ye feel a need to be nominal Catholics just to get your kid into school But if you ALL stopped pretending, then this problem would go away.
    I don't post on here very often.........but this thread has identified one person ....the priest in Knocnacarra..... which I think is wrong. He would be so upset if he saw this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I am a member of a parish and contributing every Sunday but I still felt I should make a contribution above that when we had a Christening recently. It wasn't solicited, it was my own choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

barefoot wrote: »
    I don't post on here very often.........but this thread has identified one person ....the priest in Knocnacarra..... which I think is wrong. He would be so upset if he saw this.

I think people are talking in general. My post was specifically about Fr Tadhg, saying he wouldn't accept money so we donated to the poor box. IMO, he's one of the best people I've ever met (not for the above but in general).

Come on it's just good practice/manners and a nice thing to do to give the priest a few bob for things like christenings and weddings etc. Not giving something is just mean. They earn very little anyway.

The argument that he is already paid doesn't hold imo, in plenty of situations people are handed a tip or what ever you want to call it for doing something even though they are paid already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

.its riddled with hypocrisy and paedo's

You sound like a bigot.

Incidentally, have you no problem signing the marriage papers and submitting them to a State that is also culpable for a myriad of abuse over the years? Because by that standard, you're the hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

As both sides of conversation have said, it is not a wage or fee, it is just a tip. It is a courtesy, and if you can't afford to give it, don't worry. The 'fear of God' of not doing right by priests seems buried in the most born again atheists/agnostics/whatever among us in Ireland:o
    If it's a sound priest and he does a lovely service, then of course you may want to 'tip' him if you can. 50-100 seems to be the norm. If you put it in an envelope, he can choose to keep it or put it in a charity box if he wants.
    Inviting him to the meal is a nice gesture and sounds lovely IF it is a genuine invite and not out of obligation.

Not giving something is just mean. They earn very little anyway.

The argument that he is already paid doesn't hold imo, in plenty of situations people are handed a tip or what ever you want to call it for doing something even though they are paid already.

Really? I wasn't aware that tipping was common practice in Ireland. Can you give some examples? Do you tip your accountant, lawyer, and bank-manager? Doctor? Physiotherapist? Child's teachers?

As for they earn very little: my arse they do. The regular stipend they get may be low, but the amount some of them take from "tips" (aka bribes) to say masses for the intentions of lazy people who can't be bothered doing their own praying is unreal. Take a look at the cars some drive, and you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

It's not a 'tip'. The priest doesn't take the money (in Knocknacarra at least). It goes into a certain account which is used to pay a number of things (can't remember exactly what) but basically he doesn't put the money in his back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

muffinman wrote: »
    It's not a 'tip'. The priest doesn't take the money (in Knocknacarra at least). It goes into a certain account which is used to pay a number of things (can't remember exactly what) but basically he doesn't put the money in his back pocket.

I think you're right in that some churches take 'christening donations' and put the into a church fund, used to boost existing funds in there, BUT some priests MOST definitely take 'tips'/'donations'/'thank you's' in some parishes, and straight into the pocket it goes. And people know that, it's not like they are doing it behind anyone's back, it is given to them *for* them in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think people are talking in general. My post was specifically about Fr Tadhg, saying he wouldn't accept money so we donated to the poor box. IMO, he's one of the best people I've ever met (not for the above but in general).

I know from a friends of mine at their wedding that he would not accept payment and with a lot of persuasion took some money for the poor box because they insisted on handing him the money. Anyone who generalises about catholic priests should meet him he is a truly genuine man. I speak as a non-Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

As for they earn very little: my arse they do. The regular stipend they get may be low, but the amount some of them take from "tips" (aka bribes) to say masses for the intentions of lazy people who can't be bothered doing their own praying is unreal. Take a look at the cars some drive, and you'll see what I mean.

I'll probably get banned or infracted or something for saying this, but couldn't really care less...How can someone who seems to genuinely want to help others with transport solutions etc come out with such a bitter comment.

"my arse" "lazy people" "bribes" - are such insults really necessary? The OP asked a simple question which surely shouldn't warrant such invective.

OP, our little one was christened two weeks ago. I gave the sacristan 50; to me a gesture for her efforts and courtesy; the priest got no cash as he will have to endure more meals and drink in my company - he's a relative by marriage and a friend.

Focus on the day and what it means. Anyone with too much of an opinion one way or the other on the " money" issue probably isn't focussing on what the day's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Christening is as much as you can afford to spare
    no more . no less ,.....

No point in arguin about the catholic church cause we will all lose

• Advertisement

churchview wrote: »
    I'll probably get banned or infracted or something for saying this, but couldn't really care less...How can someone who seems to genuinely want to help others with transport solutions etc come out with such a bitter comment.

"my arse" "lazy people" "bribes" - are such insults really necessary? The OP asked a simple question which surely shouldn't warrant such invective.

I'm not bitter, at least not any more bitter than Martin Luther was. Just calling it as I see it. And if using terms like that gets people to consider their actions and motivations, I believe it's a good thing.

The "ahh, sure'n it's a priest, everything he does must be right" attitude is responsible for a lot of abuse in this country. And the lack of financial accountabilty within the church contributes hugely. Lack of accountability feeds off situations where people feel that they have to give "tips" for services, and where they don't take responsibility for understanding what they're paying and why.

FWIW, I'm actually a practicing Catholic. My donations are based on idea of each adult giving one hour's wages if they work a 40 hour week, pro-rata by actual hours work (I've done a lot of short weeks lately), and weighted according to personal circumstances. I make it clear wherever I belong that I expect to see financial statements at least every year. I don't pay staff, ordained or lay, for doing their jobs, and I expect that if the church wants to give a donation to volunteers who go above-and-beyond, that will be done through official channels (ie treated as taxable income).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭elefant

I don't think you actually need a priest to baptise someone. Now, I'm not sure of the exact procedure (wow, sounds like an operation :p) but I learnt in religion class in secondary school that anybody can baptise another person.

As a reliable secondary source, I'll use the simpsons episode where Ned tries to 'emergency baptise' Bart and Lisa.

I'm assuming that a baptism in a church is desired, but just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

This.

I've gotten grief off a few different people for the "irresponsibility" of not having my child baptised for school reasons. The longer people are doing for that reason, the longer the ridiculous system remains in place.

Advertisement