Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF BANKS

Options
  • 30-03-2011 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've just discovered that I have a permanent protection policy on a personal loan I took out with AIB three years ago, I never knew anything about it and the Bank refused to refund the premiums to me. I'm absolutley fuming, I just signed the forms at the time and didn't check what I was signing up to. I feel so angry and foolish.

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

pauln87 wrote: »
    I just signed the forms at the time and didn't check what I was signing up to.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Hey Paul,

Dont want to be too harsh in light of your bad news, but if you signed up for it, Im afraid you have no one to blame but yourself. If you had to avail of the policy over the past three years, Im sure you wouldnt have turned it down because you didnt know you signed up for :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pauln87

I know, I'm disgusted at myself for being so niave. Unfortunately I was under the impression that bank managers were honest, had integrity and acted in the customer's interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I know, I'm disgusted at myself for being so niave. Unfortunately I was under the impression that bank managers were honest, had integrity and acted in the customer's interest.

I doubt they were intentionally out to trick you. Its up to you to be vigilant ant to read everything before you sign to stop mistakes like this from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Why is this a scam/ripoff, they offered you a product and you bought it.

I've taken out loans in the past from AIB, and the PPP was always highlighted prominently in the quote and acceptance documents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Isn't there some advertisements relating to this very thing on the air from various legal firms offering to sue the banks who offered this without a person asking for it specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Dont beat yourself up mate, can happen to anyone... When your signing for a loan, you really have to have your head screwed on, but it became so commonplace that I'm sure your not the only person caught by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    Isn't there some advertisements relating to this very thing on the air from various legal firms offering to sue the banks who offered this without a person asking for it specifically?

Thats in the UK ..

You know

HAVE YOU SLIPPED ON A BANANA AND SERIOUSLY INJURED YOUR WILLY AND NOW CANT HAVE KIDS AND AS A RESULT YOUR WIFE LEFT YOU AND NOW YOU FEEL LIKE KILLING YOURSELF

INJURYLAWYER4U CAN HELP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Thats in the UK ..

You know

HAVE YOU SLIPPED ON A BANANA AND SERIOUSLY INJURED YOUR WILLY AND NOW CANT HAVE KIDS AND AS A RESULT YOUR WIFE LEFT YOU AND NOW YOU FEEL LIKE KILLING YOURSELF

INJURYLAWYER4U CAN HELP.

I was listening to the radio this morning, and there's an Irish equivalent.

www.refund.ie

Whether they're any good, or capable of achieving much ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭lau1247

you sign for it and gotta pay the price..

like other poster said, be vigilant.. especially when you're signing stuff off may it be work or otherwise.. probably hence the term 'sign you life away'

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

nompere wrote: »
    I was listening to the radio this morning, and there's an Irish equivalent.

www.refund.ie

Whether they're any good, or capable of achieving much ...

I was undecided whether these guys were one notch above ambulance chasers, or one notch below them....

http://www.refund.ie/how-our-service-works
    There's a €121 fee for a viable claim and no mention of what constitutes a viable claim... or whether there's further costs if a claim is successful.

Then, I saw this bit...
    http://www.refund.ie/download
    •Are you currently working in financial services?
    •Have you clients who you feel could benefit from our services?
    •Would you like to expand your own business offerings?
    •Are you interested in an extra income stream?
    •If you answer yes to these questions then we can help you!
    •Contact us today and we will arrange a meeting with you to go through how we can benefit your business.
    •Our relationship and commitment to our introducing network is second to none.

in other words:
    Is your employer in the crapper since yesterday's announcement?
    Would you like to shop them to us for a few pieces of silver

So, I'd say they're a couple of rungs below ambulance chasers on the moral ladder...

I think that they'll be getting there own thread in here or consumer issues soon enough.

Advertisement