Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread of the Day

Options
  • 30-03-2011 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭

This is today's.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056223509

Doesn't make a lot of sense that thread of the day would be this. While I appreciate that the thread is probably random, I think some control is needed. At least try to make thread of the day in some way useful and interesting.

Just a thought.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thank you. It is random at the moment - that's a feature of vBulletin, the platform is built on, but I do agree with you - it would be nice to use it to highlight something interesting.

Cheers for the suggestion

Darragh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Random is as good a way of doing it as any (provided it's picked by software) but is it needed?

POTD is fair enough - based on thanks, TOTD picked at random?.. what does it achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thread of the day should be given by the amount of ratings the thread gets I know at the moment its not the thing to rate a thread but if people thought it actually lead to something I think they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well, if Post of the Day is based on thanks, why not Thread of the Day too? The amount of thanks any new thread that day gets (to avoid stuff like You Laugh You Lose being TOTD every day).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Barrington wrote: »
    Well, if Post of the Day is based on thanks, why not Thread of the Day too? The amount of thanks any new thread that day gets (to avoid stuff like You Laugh You Lose being TOTD every day).

A lot of the time TOTD and POTD would be overlapping then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But the same could happen based on rating the thread too. If the best post of the day was made in the best new thread of the day, then surely that should be reflected in the POTD and TOTD.

Besides, my suggestion was that TOTD would only be for new threads that day. As I think we've seen lately, most of the POTDs seem to be coming from You Laugh, You Lose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Rename 'Thread of the Day' to be 'Random Thread of the Day'.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OldGoat wrote: »
    Rename 'Thread of the Day' to be 'Random Thread of the Day'.

If you were an advertising executive, you'd probably get paid millions for that idea! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I can't wait for the day that one of these threads gets TOTD.

vortex_of_copenhagen1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

What about most viewed new thread? Or would that just mean thread of the day would become AH thread of the day?

At a minimum, there must be some way that closed threads can be excluded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement