Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Visit Confirmed for Mayo

Options
  • 30-03-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Royal visit to grace Mayo

Wednesday, 30 March 2011 17:13
    IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED THAT PRINCE ALBERT OF MONACO WILL VISIT MAYO DURING HIS STATE VISIT TO IRELAND NEXT WEEK.
    50 YEARS AFTER HIS LATE FATHER AND MOTHER- PRINCE RANIER THE THIRD AND FORMER HOLLYWOOD ACTRESS GRACE KELLY- VISITED IRELAND, IT WAS ANNOUNCED LAST NIGHT THAT PRINCE ALBERT AND HIS FIANCE WILL ATTEND A SERIES OF EVENTS IN DUBLIN AND GALWAY BETWEEN MONDAY AND WEDNESDAY OF NEXT WEEK.
    AND FOLLOWING THE INTERVENTION TODAY OF MAYO-BASED JUNIOR MINISTER FOR TOURISM MICHAEL RING, IT HAS NOW BEEN CONFIRMED THAT NEXT WEDNESDAY, PRINCE ALBERT WILL GO ON A WALKABOUT IN NEWPORT, THE ANCESTRAL HOME OF HIS GREAT GRANDPARENTS, BEFORE TRAVELLING TO IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK.

What do people think? Will the same Mayo welcome be extended to the Queen if she choses to visit Mayo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

finisklin wrote: »

IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED THAT PRINCE ALBERT OF MONACO WILL VISIT MAYO DURING HIS STATE VISIT TO IRELAND NEXT WEEK.
    50 YEARS AFTER HIS LATE FATHER AND MOTHER- PRINCE RANIER THE THIRD AND FORMER HOLLYWOOD ACTRESS GRACE KELLY- VISITED IRELAND, IT WAS ANNOUNCED LAST NIGHT THAT PRINCE ALBERT AND HIS FIANCE WILL ATTEND A SERIES OF EVENTS IN DUBLIN AND GALWAY BETWEEN MONDAY AND WEDNESDAY OF NEXT WEEK.
    AND FOLLOWING THE INTERVENTION TODAY OF MAYO-BASED JUNIOR MINISTER FOR TOURISM MICHAEL RING, IT HAS NOW BEEN CONFIRMED THAT NEXT WEDNESDAY, PRINCE ALBERT WILL GO ON A WALKABOUT IN NEWPORT, THE ANCESTRAL HOME OF HIS GREAT GRANDPARENTS, BEFORE TRAVELLING TO IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK.

What do people think? Will the same Mayo welcome be extended to the Queen if she choses to visit Mayo?
    will anyone care when this guys vist mayo, unless we can tap up for a loan for a few billion. didnt prince charles vist mayo with out too much hassle? did he stay in ashford castle or was in delphi lodge?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Thats great news, Princess Grace Kelly is originally from the Newport area!

The Queen isn't of Mayo ancestry, so I doubt she'd visit....

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    Thats great news, Princess Grace Kelly is originally from the Newport area!

The Queen isn't of Mayo ancestry, so I doubt she'd visit....

is the queen not of german ancestry?

irishgeo wrote: »
    will anyone care when this guys vist mayo, unless we can tap up for a loan for a few billion. didnt prince charles vist mayo with out too much hassle? did he stay in ashford castle or was in delphi lodge?

I care that he's coming to visit! Princess Grace has a lot of relations in that area who will be very excited to see him I'm sure. My Dad was her 4th/5th cousin, so I'm kinda curious! :)
    Prince Charles stayed in the Lenanne area but not at the delphi lodge as far as I'm aware.

is the queen not of german ancestry?

Ya she is, but last time I checked Mayo isn't in germany......:p

• Advertisement

Ya she is, but last time I checked Mayo isn't in germany......:p

yeah i am getting confused as they practically run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Didn't her grandson famously dress up as one of their soliders once as well? ;):p:D:P

yeah i am getting confused as they practically run the country.

Who? The fine people of Mayo, or the Germans?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Who? The fine people of Mayo, or the Germans?!

Enda-sm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭oxysept

The Queen or any one else is welcome in my book, if people want to protest that's fine too, .... as long as they leave a few Euro after them, 'case we have to pay the Germans back, if they can't control our tax rate they may want to look at our schools.

As part of the negotiations, the Irish Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".
    In the first year, "*s*" will replace the soft "*c*". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.
    The hard "*c*" will be dropped in favour of "*k*". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.
    There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "*ph*" will be replaced with "*f*". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.
    In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
    Governments will enkourage the removal of " *double letters* " which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.
    Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "*e*" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.
    By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "*th*" with "*z*" and "*w*" with "*v*".
    During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "*o*" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "* ou*" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.
    Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.
    Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MrMagic1

They should build a gallows. Manus Sweeney is turning in his grave (He's the priest in the mural on the gallows)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I don't want to fan the flames on this one but how and ever.....:pac:.....:pac:....

Queen Elizabeth invited to Castlebar

Sinn Féin Cllr slammed for ‘political jealousy’

Edwin McGreal

Queen Elizabeth II is to be officially invited to the Mayo Peace Park in Castlebar as part of her planned trip to this country inside the next 17 months.
    Castlebar Town Council last week passed a motion to invite her put forward by Fine Gael’s Cllr Eugene McCormack by seven votes to two.
    However tempers flared in a heated discussion with Sinn Féin’s Cllr Thérèse Ruane accused of ‘vicious political jealousy’ after she opposed the motion.
    Cllr Ruane told the meeting that it was ‘totally unacceptable to invite the Commander in Chief of the British Army’ and also cited cost as a reason.
    “We saw last week of cuts to funding for Justice for the Forgotten. Until the families of Pat Finucane and Rosemary Nelson and others are vindicated and until there is a complete withdrawal of British forces from this island - and also remember that the British Army is taking part in imperial wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - we are moving forward but, until we progress on all of these steps, no invitation should be sent.”
    However Cllr Frank Durcan slammed Cllr Ruane and Sinn Féin for their stance.
    “I’m saddened to hear the comments of Cllr Ruane. We have gone back twenty years. We haven’t advanced at all as far as Sinn Féin are concerned. I was always suspect of your party and I am very suspect now about what hidden agenda you have for this country,” said Cllr Durcan, at which stage Cllr Ruane tried to interrupt.
    “Would you have some common manners,” retorted Cllr Durcan. “You didn’t say about all the damage your party brought and the economic damage caused by your party. Ye are not without sin. England was very bad to this country years ago and we’d have done the same to them if we had the power. But a lot of our families had to go to England and were well looked after.
    ”I don’t see what your gripe is. It is not valid. We are back to the days of the gun and the bomb and the bullet. I thought we had advanced. I’m quite sure that the benefits from this visit would far outweigh the costs in terms of security. So many people in England would want to visit a place the queen visited. What I have heard is vicious political jealousy,” said Cllr Durcan.
    The proposer of the motion, Cllr McCormack, added that he felt the position of Cllr Ruane was regressive.
    “If this is official Sinn Féin policy, then I’m convinced Sinn Féin is rooted firmly in the past. While they portray themselves as progressive, they are constantly looking in the rear view mirror. And Sinn Féin’s stance here really vindicates the stance of Fine Gael and our reluctance as a party to do business with Sinn Féin.”
    Cllr Ruane dismissed Cllr McCormack’s comments as ‘outrageous’ but was not able to comment further as a vote was ordered.
    Proposing the motion in the first place, Cllr McCormack stated how he felt such an invitation would be an indication of how Ireland has ‘moved on’.
    “We, as a country, have matured considerably since our inception. People from very opposite sides are now sitting down, talking to each other. There is no doubt that we were the victims of oppression from the British for centuries but we have moved on.
    “Mayo Peace Park is symbolic of everything this visit should stand for - friendship, peace and reconciliation. From an economic point of view Mayo Peace Park is an important tourist attraction and we spoke earlier about the need for tourists to visit this town and having a royal visit Mayo Peace Park would make it a huge attraction for tourists.”
    Along with Cllr Ruane, Cllr Michael Kilcoyne opposed the motion.
    “I’ve given this long consideration and I don’t believe the Government should invite her because of the reason of cost but I would welcome her to come any time she wants, but not at our expense. We can’t afford €10, never mind €10 million,” said Cllr Kilcoyne, in reference to the projected security cost for the trip.
    Queen Elizabeth II is expected to visit Ireland before the end of 2011. It will be her first visit to Ireland. An official invitation to Mayo Peace Park will now be sent by Castlebar Town Council.

From here....

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10459:queen-elizabeth-invited-to-castlebar-as-sinn-fein-slammed-for-jealousy&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I don't want to fan the flames on this one but how and ever.....:pac:.....:pac:....

Queen Elizabeth invited to Castlebar

Sinn Féin Cllr slammed for ‘political jealousy’

Edwin McGreal

Queen Elizabeth II is to be officially invited to the Mayo Peace Park in Castlebar as part of her planned trip to this country inside the next 17 months.
    Castlebar Town Council last week passed a motion to invite her put forward by Fine Gael’s Cllr Eugene McCormack by seven votes to two.
    However tempers flared in a heated discussion with Sinn Féin’s Cllr Thérèse Ruane accused of ‘vicious political jealousy’ after she opposed the motion.
    Cllr Ruane told the meeting that it was ‘totally unacceptable to invite the Commander in Chief of the British Army’ and also cited cost as a reason.
    “We saw last week of cuts to funding for Justice for the Forgotten. Until the families of Pat Finucane and Rosemary Nelson and others are vindicated and until there is a complete withdrawal of British forces from this island - and also remember that the British Army is taking part in imperial wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - we are moving forward but, until we progress on all of these steps, no invitation should be sent.”
    However Cllr Frank Durcan slammed Cllr Ruane and Sinn Féin for their stance.
    “I’m saddened to hear the comments of Cllr Ruane. We have gone back twenty years. We haven’t advanced at all as far as Sinn Féin are concerned. I was always suspect of your party and I am very suspect now about what hidden agenda you have for this country,” said Cllr Durcan, at which stage Cllr Ruane tried to interrupt.
    “Would you have some common manners,” retorted Cllr Durcan. “You didn’t say about all the damage your party brought and the economic damage caused by your party. Ye are not without sin. England was very bad to this country years ago and we’d have done the same to them if we had the power. But a lot of our families had to go to England and were well looked after.
    ”I don’t see what your gripe is. It is not valid. We are back to the days of the gun and the bomb and the bullet. I thought we had advanced. I’m quite sure that the benefits from this visit would far outweigh the costs in terms of security. So many people in England would want to visit a place the queen visited. What I have heard is vicious political jealousy,” said Cllr Durcan.
    The proposer of the motion, Cllr McCormack, added that he felt the position of Cllr Ruane was regressive.
    “If this is official Sinn Féin policy, then I’m convinced Sinn Féin is rooted firmly in the past. While they portray themselves as progressive, they are constantly looking in the rear view mirror. And Sinn Féin’s stance here really vindicates the stance of Fine Gael and our reluctance as a party to do business with Sinn Féin.”
    Cllr Ruane dismissed Cllr McCormack’s comments as ‘outrageous’ but was not able to comment further as a vote was ordered.
    Proposing the motion in the first place, Cllr McCormack stated how he felt such an invitation would be an indication of how Ireland has ‘moved on’.
    “We, as a country, have matured considerably since our inception. People from very opposite sides are now sitting down, talking to each other. There is no doubt that we were the victims of oppression from the British for centuries but we have moved on.
    “Mayo Peace Park is symbolic of everything this visit should stand for - friendship, peace and reconciliation. From an economic point of view Mayo Peace Park is an important tourist attraction and we spoke earlier about the need for tourists to visit this town and having a royal visit Mayo Peace Park would make it a huge attraction for tourists.”
    Along with Cllr Ruane, Cllr Michael Kilcoyne opposed the motion.
    “I’ve given this long consideration and I don’t believe the Government should invite her because of the reason of cost but I would welcome her to come any time she wants, but not at our expense. We can’t afford €10, never mind €10 million,” said Cllr Kilcoyne, in reference to the projected security cost for the trip.
    Queen Elizabeth II is expected to visit Ireland before the end of 2011. It will be her first visit to Ireland. An official invitation to Mayo Peace Park will now be sent by Castlebar Town Council.

From here....

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10459:queen-elizabeth-invited-to-castlebar-as-sinn-fein-slammed-for-jealousy&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Oh so ****ing what. Every town UDC and Co Council will be inviting her. :rolleyes:

Advertisement