Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

airsoft guns in public???

• 30-03-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

hi there, I am just wondering if it is ok to carry an airsoft gun/guns in a rifle bag or an ordinary gearbag in public with people knowing right well what is inside. I am also 16 and i dont know if that causes any problems either of them being confiscated?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

How will people know what's inside the bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Blay wrote: »
    How will people know what's inside the bag?

Sometimes the outline of the gun can be seen, if the bag is fully packed. To some, this may look like your concealing something illegal. Having your gun in a gunbag, is a better option, as it is clearly a gunbag but the actual gun is out of sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sometimes the outline of the gun can be seen, if the bag is fully packed. To some, this may look like your concealing something illegal. Having your gun in a gunbag, is a better option, as it is clearly a gunbag but the actual gun is out of sight.

Sure just wrap it in a bdu if the outline can be seen, once it's out of sight in a bag be it a gun bag or holdall you're ok.

You'll get differing opinions of what type of bag to use and if using a generic sports bag is 'concealing' the gun, but if you're also carrying bbs, batteries and camo there is context there that will support you being an airsofter. If however you're walking down the road with an aeg and 50k in currency also in a sports bag...you'll have trouble. Context is key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

there was a thread about this awhile back that should have all the answers but one thing to keep in mind is to take battery out of your gun and put it in a different bag if possible aswell as your bbs and mags.
    if you see any gards dont be scared...

if they ask you what you have just tell them you have a replica firearm but id rather not show you in public etc... i think leftyflip has a good story about that..

just make sure you dont have any batteries in the gun or any bbs as it would look like your up to no good so its a much better idea to keep them seperate

as i said theres another thread here somewhere about this exact topic so just search for it for all the tips and answers you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

You may carry it if its in a secure gunbag, so a cheap padlock through the zip eyes... sorted. The law cant really argue. Plus... gunbag has one advantage.

It looks like a gun bag, what comes in gun bags? Guns.

If you look like you're meant to have it, people 9/10, will not bat an eyelid.
    The outline of your magparp m4 pressed into the side of your holdall... well, that might raise a few eyebrows/heartrates.

Play peoples expectations. People are simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Tommy Griffen

Firekitten wrote: »
    You may carry it if its in a secure gunbag, so a cheap padlock through the zip eyes... sorted. The law cant really argue. Plus... gunbag has one advantage.

It looks like a gun bag, what comes in gun bags? Guns.

If you look like you're meant to have it, people 9/10, will not bat an eyelid.
    The outline of your magparp m4 pressed into the side of your holdall... well, that might raise a few eyebrows/heartrates.

Play peoples expectations. People are simple.

Ah rite, thanks but am i underaged at 16 to own an airsoft gun and can the gards confiscate the gun/guns for having them in public even if they are in bags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

SNIP>
    40.—The Act of 1990 is amended by the insertion of the following
    sections after section 9 (as amended by section 39 of this Act):
    “Possession of
    a realistic
    imitation
    firearm in a
    public place.
    9A.—(1) Where a person, without lawful authority
    or reasonable excuse (the onus of proving 10
    which shall lie on him or her), has a realistic imitation
    firearm with him or her in any public place,
    that person shall be guilty of an offence.
    (2) A person guilty of an offence under this
    section shall be liable: 15
    (i) on summary conviction to a fine not
    exceeding \5,000 or to imprisonment
    for a term not exceeding twelve
    months or to both, or
    (ii) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or 20
    to imprisonment for a term not
    exceeding five years or to both.
    (3) In this section “public place” includes any
    highway and any other premises or place to which
    at the material time the public have or are permit- 25
    ted to have access, whether on payment or otherwise,
    and includes any club premises and any train,
    vessel or vehicle used for the carriage of persons
    for reward.
    <SNIP

The entire document is here:
    http://irishairsoft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/criminal-justice-miscellaneous-provisions-bill-2009_passed.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

If you know you're underage, you probably cannot do it... surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Shidosha

One thing to bear in mind is that you have to have good reason to have an airsoft gun on you in public. Such reasons would include bringing one home from the shop, taking one out to an airsoft site, and other legitimate things, but just carrying it around for the fun of it would land you in trouble (and your AEG would be snapped up and you might never see it again). This is the first bit of what Defenderdude quoted "without lawful authority or reasonable excuse "

If a Garda finds an AEG (or any other imitation firearm) on you and thinks you're up to trouble, or shouldn't have it, or are just carrying it around for the cool factor, it will probably be confiscated. When you do have to move one around, it's best have it properly hidden from sight in an appropriate bag, as soon as you start freaking out the public with what they take to be a gun, you've stepped over the line and it'll be taken off you.

I don't know if there are any legal limitations to having an airsoft gun. Retailers only sell to over-18's, but I don't know if that's a requirement or if they're just covering themselves. I suspect it's not part of legislation, since they're not firearms or any other kind of licenced item, but you'd still be bound by the law saying to now have them in public without good reason.

Advertisement