Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20 transfers that shook the world ITV4 9 pm

• 30-03-2011 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

and +1 at 10 pm :)

A countdown of signings that captured the public's imagination, focusing on the most intriguing, expensive and controversial transfers in the history of the game.

I'll guess Torres gets a mention (and Carroll)!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Cantona and Figo (barca - Madrid) for def, possibly even George Weah's cousin (one of the best signings ever, not really a transfer but worth the mention) ! ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yep I'd agree that Cantona and Figo will be on that. Luis Enrique and Michael Laudrup should be there too. I'd guess that Torres will be added in as well. Beckham(maybe even twice to Real and to the Galaxy) and C.Ronaldo too. Sol Campbell from Spurs to Arsenal should be there too. Mo Johnson joining Rangers was a big shocker at the time. All the Leeds to United transfers would be big as well I suppose, I remember the trouble when Strachan went to United. I don't think there was much with Rio and Alan Smith though.

And of course the no.1 is likely to be Tevez from United to City given that its an English show.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I think a dead cert would be Jean-Marc Bosman and the legal movement of free transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Tony Grant to bohs to be number one, I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ebbs wrote: »
    Tony Grant to bohs to be number one, I'd imagine.

My memory is shot - was it James Keddy or Grant who was on the end of most of it or did he get just the feet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Mo Johnson I spose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

dfx- wrote: »
    My memory is shot - was it James Keddy or Grant who was on the end of most of it or did he get just the feet?

Grant got the worst of it. Keddy was also playing that day and got suitably abused but pigs head and JUDAS banners/jersey were for Grant iirc.

Keddy was only at rovers for a season anyway and had come from Shels (I think). So wasnt really as big a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Glen Fitz to Pats, we spent 10,000 Euro on him. 10, ****ing thousand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Real Madrid signing Faubert from West Ham, what a bizarre signing that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

This channel on upc??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Andy Cole to United was a bit of a sensation at the time and came totally out of the blue. Definitely deserves a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Real Madrid signing Faubert from West Ham, what a bizarre signing that was.
    It didn't exactly shake the world though, did it?

CSF wrote: »
    It didn't exactly shake the world though, did it?

Suppose not but there was a fair bit of parody over it at the time.

Mascherano and Tevez to West Ham surely anyway!

Beckham to Galaxy too.

Francis 20
    Cole 19

Unless i missed one?

Andy Carroll...

Francis 20
    Cole 19
    Simonsen 18
    Villa/Ardiles 17
    Campbel 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Andy Cole, Trevor Francis, shocked the world my arse! Should be shocked Britain.

Andy Cole, Trevor Francis, shocked the world my arse! Should be shocked Britain.

In fairness Francis was a biggie, Cole not so much just fergie showing who the bigger club was.

Francis 20
    Cole 19
    Simonsen 18
    Villa/Ardiles 17
    Campbel 16
    Blisset 15
    Bosman 14
    Cantona 13
    Daley to City 12
    Keegan to Soton 11
    Mo Johnston 10
    Rooney 9 WTF ?
    Socrates to Garforth Town 8
    Lentini 7 :( superb ****ing player. Bet seaneh cries :D
    Shearer to newcastle 6 ?
    Figo 5
    tevez/Mascherano West Ham 4
    Torres 3
    Pele to NY 2
    Ronaldo (the skinny one) 1

it would ****ing help if ITV put numbers after the players names :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ebbs wrote: »
    Grant got the worst of it. Keddy was also playing that day and got suitably abused but pigs head and JUDAS banners/jersey were for Grant iirc.

Keddy was only at rovers for a season anyway and had come from Shels (I think). So wasnt really as big a deal.

It's all coming back to me. Grant was the one who said he wouldn't go to Bohs afterall, but then again Keddy had enough time at Rovers to miss that header against Derry in the cup final in Tolka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Pity they didn't mention some stories from Germany, e.g. Jens Lehmann joining Borussia Dortmund from Schalke 03+1, just a few months after ranting on German television, that he would rather drop dead than joining the arch rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

No Fowler? No Alan Smith?

Those on the list, shook the world?

Weak excuse for programming. Weak, I tells ya.

Weak excuse for programming. Weak, I tells ya.

It was fairly **** alright, i think Sky actually does type of **** program better dunno if thats a good thing.

the full list.

Francis 20
    Cole 19
    Simonsen 18
    Villa/Ardiles 17
    Campbel 16
    Blisset 15
    Bosman 14
    Cantona 13
    Daley to City 12
    Keegan to Soton 11
    Mo Johnston 10
    Rooney 9 WTF ?
    Socrates to Garforth Town 8
    Lentini 7 superb ****ing player. Bet seaneh cries
    Shearer to newcastle 6 ?
    Figo 5
    tevez/Mascherano West Ham 4
    Torres 3
    Pele to NY 2
    Ronaldo (the skinny one) 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

The Tevez-Mascherano deal could easily have been number one. Genuinely shocked pretty much every football fan.

Everybody seen the Cristiano Ronaldo transfer coming, it was 12 months in the making. Fail to see the shock factor. hardly the price as Real Madrid had just spent 55m on Kaka and were always going to have to pay more than that for Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

"20 transfers that shook the world from an english perspective" is what it should have been called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Dempsey wrote: »
    "20 transfers that shook the world from an english perspective" is what it should have been called.

Judging by reactions on here, some people want "20 transfers that shook England from 1995 onwards".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Loved the Blisset story, people thought they signed the wrong player, they mistook him for Barnes!

Rush, Hughes and Lineker were all big overseas signings that were massive news in their day.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement